• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What Makes the MMO Anime BOFURI Stand Out?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I really liked that top1 guy was a decent guy instead of being an ass. It was also fun how in certain other places of the net, this anime series kept on triggering some gamers; I read endless complaints about how the game was broken.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
God it's the same thing again...

Quote:
never let your newbie friends start a game unsupervised. Where most sane human beings realize a stat spread is pretty important

I'm sorry to break it to you, but if you really think that... you're the newbie. In almost every game with stats, spreading them around is the newbie move. She's not playing the game in an atypical way at all, she's literally playing by min-maxing, one of the most common way of playing game. She's playing a full tank. It's one of the most common role, part of the holy trinity.

If you ever played an mmo, you'll notice msg like "looking for tank for run", you'll notice that these message never specify what a tank is because it's considered common knowledge. If you'd show up as somewhere claiming to be a tank and wouldn't have put all your point into defence you'd probably be kicked on the spot. She's not an anti-gamer. She is playing the game normally.

The conversation around this anime is just weird. I feel like the show tried to do some kind of Borat like anime but they didn't bother to learn about the culture that their parodying and accidentally ended up reproducing it perfectly.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
And top girl was secretly an awkward embarrassed crybaby when she didn't get her way.

But... when the FLame Emperors and Holy Cross guilds were introduced, wasn't one of them described as being some sort of cult-like group IRL who were trying to expand their reach in the game? Am I completely remembering that wrong? If that was introduced early on, they sure dropped it quick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seagloom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
^^That's a detail from an early episode of Infinite Dendrogram. The Lunar Society is a cult that expanded into the game as part of their doctrine. Bofuri's Flame Emperors are just a typical MMO guild with no ulterior motives.
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Someone needs to do a Bofuri-inspired Dark Souls run where they name their character Maple and put all of their stat points into Resistance.

It would be mechanically the same as a SL6 deprived run, but thematically far funnier.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:30 pm Reply with quote
When I started watching I remember thinking "WTF the balance in this MMORPG is broken af. Have the creators never played one?". And then I remember every single online game I've played and everything clicked.

After that, the most surprising thing was that there weren't more people doing stupid builds because it's just fun to do.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I'm sorry to break it to you, but if you really think that... you're the newbie. In almost every game with stats, spreading them around is the newbie move. She's not playing the game in an atypical way at all, she's literally playing by min-maxing, one of the most common way of playing game. She's playing a full tank. It's one of the most common role, part of the holy trinity.

But even for a Tank build Maple dumping every single stat point JUST into her Def/HP is atypical. Tanks will certainly prioritize those stats, but a certain amount of agility/dexterity/strength is also necessary to play a high level tank. And within the VRMMO setting it's even more important to have well-considered stats since Agility also determines how fast your character moves from place to place. Maple can't travel anywhere faster than a casual stroll until she gets a mount (read: Sally, then Syrup) and a tank that is totally sedentary is pretty much a liability in anything but a single enemy boss battle. Not to mention if they don't have the proper skills and attack necessary to maintain aggro in a hectic and busy mob battle.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Hey, you left out the part able Maple breaking a quest chain and becoming a defense angel! Loved this show from start to finish, never a dull moment and just when you think it's about to slow down she becomes a '90s cyberpunk anime mecha girl.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Hey, you left out the part able Maple breaking a quest chain and becoming a defense angel! Loved this show from start to finish, never a dull moment and just when you think it's about to slow down she becomes a '90s cyberpunk anime mecha girl.

Emerje

yep, they also skipped the part of maybe taking a pounding and enjoying it.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

Wait what? when did that happen? Must've been a one-off joke cause I don't remember it.

Bofuri was definitely more fun than I expected. My only gripe is that Chrome should've had more screen time but they gave me woolly Maple so I can't even be mad.
The juxtaposition of Maple's actions, intentions and results were so fun.
A giant cute turtle. Carrying the god of defence. Unleashing acid rain. With an innocent smile.
The first time this type of comedy really hit me was during the first event where she just straight-up murders one of her assailants and the others flee... only for her to go on the attack. I couldn't be mad at this cute murder machine. If only online communities with strangers were really as laid back as, this and not filled with insults to people's mothers when things don't work out. *sigh*
Can't wait for S2.
One thing I think needs improving was the chat at the end of the episodes, it was impossible to follow along with how fast the subtitles flashed across the screen, cant have been that hard to add subtitles that moved vertically and stayed long enough to read.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

Wait what? when did that happen? Must've been a one-off joke cause I don't remember it.

It's right as the first pvp event ends and mapple gets interviewed

https://twitter.com/GrumpyCatterman/status/1228524735060938752

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/741/343/636.jpg
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/806/296/44e.png

I think there ws a punding-gate where the subtitles got cahgned and some people compained
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:11 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I may not play a lot of strict MMO, but I know enough games where you need some basic points in other stats to make a build viable. Such as enough strength to use certain armor or shields, or possible even cause any damage. Dexterity to not move at a total snail pace as to not be a pointless tank the enemy could avoid. Perhaps some sort of alternate stat to buff resistance or an unexpected combo.

Maple kind of lucked out, from apparently no strength requirements of great shields, and I think she even got a shield bash that I would have assumed used her defense for a bit of offense. She gets a covershield ability that allows her to overcome her low speed at cost of being more vulnerable, but her high defense overcomes that and can abuse it outside of combat. And somehow she lucked out on getting immunity to poison, even specific ranged powers of hydra and combined a weird reward with rare equipment to cover her weakness at a small mana pool.

It is not like going in with an all into vitality build would mean you knew how to cover those weaknesses. Play Dark Souls 1 and 2 you see the difference of builds where separating carry rate from stamina will leave an impact in making a heavy build.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:50 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I may not play a lot of strict MMO, but I know enough games where you need some basic points in other stats to make a build viable. Such as enough strength to use certain armor or shields, or possible even cause any damage. Dexterity to not move at a total snail pace as to not be a pointless tank the enemy could avoid. Perhaps some sort of alternate stat to buff resistance or an unexpected combo.

Maple kind of lucked out, from apparently no strength requirements of great shields, and I think she even got a shield bash that I would have assumed used her defense for a bit of offense. She gets a covershield ability that allows her to overcome her low speed at cost of being more vulnerable, but her high defense overcomes that and can abuse it outside of combat. And somehow she lucked out on getting immunity to poison, even specific ranged powers of hydra and combined a weird reward with rare equipment to cover her weakness at a small mana pool.

It is not like going in with an all into vitality build would mean you knew how to cover those weaknesses. Play Dark Souls 1 and 2 you see the difference of builds where separating carry rate from stamina will leave an impact in making a heavy build.

Some games do have requirement forcing people to spread their stats, but that's the point, these are there because the dev need incentives to force people to spread stats, otherwise dumping everything into one stats is the best way to play. You don't spread stats because you know it's a good strategy, you spread stats because the game force you, and in which case you try to put as little as possible into the secondary stats (soft cap).

This means anyone who ever played video game even slightly seriously would play this game, put every stats point in there main stats and wait for the game to introduce concept that would force them to put them elsewhere, and since there's evidently none, they simply never would. Unless this game is brand new and incredibly unpopular, there would be thousands of peoples who would have all there point in vitality already. Anyone who tank for a regular group they play with would have done so already. At the very least, it's extremely far from some kind of crazy startegy. Same for putting all your stats in dex as a rogue, that's just being a glass cannon rogue, it's incredibly common (even more so when it affect dodge, every once in awhile rogue tanking will surface as a concept).

Bringing up dark soul, when 1 came out, putting all your stats into defensive stuff (ie vitality and wear tons of armor) was so strong they had to heavily nerf it in the first couple of patch. You can search video of player literally not dodging or even bothering to stop attacking because they have this massive health bar and can just eat all the damage without bothering with stamina management. A spell could actually do that at release (make you super resistant but unable to run/dodge) and it broke the game, it was so popular they made meme/video of it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UdcKGWmZMs). All defence build were so good that for DS3 they actualy stealth nerf them without telling anyone and it took a couple of month for the community to figure out how it even work.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for setting the subtitles so they are easily legible! Really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:48 pm Reply with quote
The best part about this anime is the voice acting. Its almost perfect for me. Its also really interesting that they choose a seiyuu that has similar name with the main character. LOL
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2