• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Millionaire Detective - Balance: UNLIMITED

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Just found out per Funimation's Facebook page that this show's also getting delayed following the airing of its third episode thanks to coronavirus.

EDIT: Looks like ANN's already on top of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I’ve really enjoyed the first two eps and I’m gutted it’s being postponed, although it’s completely understandable. It’s flashy, fun and it honestly doesn’t bother me that Daisuke is so . . . himself. The music is so good too.

Quote:
especially Suzue Kambe, who is probably either Kambe's sister or wife. Honestly, the imagery could go either way, there

I’m personally hoping for twins! I think that would be pretty neat.

Quote:
He's also not used to having a partner – he's got Suzue, but that's not quite the same thing as working with Kato, and it shows in the way he doesn't tell Kato about his plans for the party in episode two.

I could be wrong, but I see this as Daisuke respecting Kato’s wishes. Kind of. Kato told Daisuke he was going to bring the yakuza guy down his own regular police way, so while he was doing that, Daisuke formed his own plan. There wouldn’t have been any reason to tell Kato, presumably, because he wouldn’t have wanted to hear it. I mean, there are issues there, but that was my take for the situation.

Also, as a random aside, the names are kind of mixed up in a couple places in the review. Daichi > Daisuke. Kozue > Suzue.
Kirki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
It's such a shame this is getting delayed. It was the only one of this season premieres (ok Villainess too) that seemed to hold some promise. Crying or Very sad
Dian Z

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first episode, and found it funny that the HEUSC guy seemed to do most of the work while he only appeared in the spot light just to show off.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:39 pm Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:

Now that you mention it, they seem pretty close in age. It might explain why she doesn't use an honorific with his name when she probably would have if they were normal siblings. I don't think we see a lot of fraternal twins in anime.

Although even for twins that Princess Carry in the Opening + Suzue blushing is a bit explicit.
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I see this as Daisuke respecting Kato’s wishes. Kind of. Kato told Daisuke he was going to bring the yakuza guy down his own regular police way, so while he was doing that, Daisuke formed his own plan. There wouldn’t have been any reason to tell Kato, presumably, because he wouldn’t have wanted to hear it. I mean, there are issues there, but that was my take for the situation.

Yeah, Daisuke said how much money he'd need to make the arrest and Kato kind of stormed off without even bothering to listen to what the plan was.
IreneSharda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:26 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
rahzel rose wrote:

Now that you mention it, they seem pretty close in age. It might explain why she doesn't use an honorific with his name when she probably would have if they were normal siblings. I don't think we see a lot of fraternal twins in anime.

Although even for twins that Princess Carry in the Opening + Suzue blushing is a bit explicit.

I think it's unlikely they're twins. Even twins will use the older brother/sister honorifics, based on who was born first. One obvious that I can think of is the anime Monster, where two of the main characters are fraternal twins and the sister will call the brother "nii-san" because he's the oldest by being born first.

It's hard to tell if Suzue and Daisuke are siblings or married though. If not for the OP, I would have said siblings instantly. However, the OP does seem to show two separate scenes, one for showing Daisuke's family (I'm assuming his grandmother) and then another showing Suzue in his arms. If Suzue was his sister, I think she would have been in the shot with the rest of his family, but who knows?
Kirki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:34 am Reply with quote
But they are almost identical in character design, it can't be a coincidence.
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the whole message of this show is Kambe looking at Kato and saying, "Seriously?! What are you complaining about? Would you rather I spent my unlimited fortune to become a supervillian, corrupt politician or manipulative businessman?"

Like:
Episode 1) Really? You're complaining that I smashed up some rich prick's car parade? I just saved the city from a f'king bomb!

Episode 2) Really? You're complaining that I paid for information? I just shutdown an untouchable city-wide yakuza drug operation!
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I’m glad this show is back and I’m here for all its ridiculousness. What I liked about episode 3 is that we got to see little cracks in Daisuke’s cool facade. He seems so unflappable, so his displeased faces during the conversation with his grandmother were nice to see. Obviously we don’t really know much about him yet, so I’m looking forward to digging more into his backstory.

What I also thought was interesting is how all we knew before was that Haru shot a hostage, but actually seeing that it was someone who was potentially going to hurt him makes the situation a little less black and white. So when people tell him he’s not qualified to be a police officer, it now makes me headtilt a bit.
babaca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the middle aged idol fans... I thought at one point they were going to overtake the gunman because they were going to be late seeing their idols. It wasn't as outrageous as the usual show that we only knew for the first few episodes pre-pandemic but it was fun nonetheless.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:20 am Reply with quote
The whole opening scene played like getting the matriarch's approval of his fiancé before the wedding. I kept thinking she misunderstood what they meant by them being partners. Since that wasn't the case, I'm not even sure what that meeting was all about.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The whole opening scene played like getting the matriarch's approval of his fiancé before the wedding. I kept thinking she misunderstood what they meant by them being partners. Since that wasn't the case, I'm not even sure what that meeting was all about.

I think that was the point. A fan service tease based on how the framing was meant to be interpreted even though in context that wasn't what the scene was about.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Regarding that one lady that was on the floor, was that implying they were in on it somehow, or was it that he had knocked her out?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:24 pm Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Regarding that one lady that was on the floor, was that implying they were in on it somehow, or was it that he had knocked her out?

Haru (and maybe the other cops?) seemed to think that she was dead, but barring that, I'd say knocked out - the siren call of her favorite idols apparently woke her out of her faint.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I think that was the point. A fan service tease based on how the framing was meant to be interpreted even though in context that wasn't what the scene was about.

I got that about the framing, but that still doesn't explain why he had to meet grandma at all. Usually when anime makes a joke of something that seems to be about sex or romance but turns out to be perfectly mundane, we're told the rationale for what's actually happening, not just that "ha, it's not what we made you think!"

I figured the woman just fainted from shock at what was happening and that they wouldn't get to see their idols. He didn't seem like the kind of kid who would knock a middle-aged woman unconscious any more than he'd kill them.

It also bugged me that it took Haru so long to figure out why he was doing it, when it was obvious the second they mentioned a payout for views.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3