• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
7 Awesome Anime Moms Who Are Miraculously Still Alive

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Izumi Curtis from Fullmetal Alchemist
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I think KEY stories have the best moms/aunts. Basically every one of them was amazing
Kanjite Knight

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I reckon the difficulty of finding instances of moms with active roles in manganime works, it must have been tough since the ones that are "alive" are usually absent or neglectful towards their children in a villanous way. One of my favourite subversions of this topic is Tsubasa Nishikiori from Shin Mazinger, who is a strong, wise, determined and self-sufficient woman who happens to be a mother. But instead of just fulfilling a motherly role in the whole scope of the story, her revelation as a mother (supposedly a pivotal point halfway the series) doesn't make her development stagnant as a character but it rather adds another layer of nuance to her already complex personality. Talk about good writing!
cchigu

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Fujiwara Touko from Natsume Yuujinchou.
Kirki

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:

Though Oedipus would definitely have to say something about that, she wasn't their mother, she was their teacher.

It's a shame we have forgotten about comedy gold moms like Miko from Kyo Kara Maoh! Katarina's mom from My Next Life as A Villainess is also funny as hell.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:

The Manga and Second Anime
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I really like Ippo's mom from Hajime no Ippo. She's a single mom that works her butt off running a charter fishing boat business.

Most moms in anime end up being stay at home moms, so it's really cool to see a single working mom sometimes.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Mito never came across as a mother figure, she came across more as an auntie figure. At no point did I ever confuse her as being Gons mum.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
HAL14 wrote:

Though Oedipus would definitely have to say something about that, she wasn't their mother, she was their teacher.

It's a shame we have forgotten about comedy gold moms like Miko from Kyo Kara Maoh! Katarina's mom from My Next Life as A Villainess is also funny as hell.

First, keep your shipping to yourself.

Second, can't remember if it was in the '06 or brotherhood but she referred to the elrics as her boys once, and from both series its clear motherhood was the angle the author was going for in thier relationship: the elrics lost their mother and tried to bring her back. izumi lost her son and tried to bring him back
Qulex

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Lack of Dadan from One Piece is disturbing. You don't have to be blood related to be a great parent.
meruru

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I personally found Kagome's mom hilarious in how chill she was about Kagome always skipping school to jump in a well to go to the super dangerous Sengoku jidai. Rather than making the protagonist an orphan to avoid the the story being inconvenienced by worrying parents, just make the mom comedically irresponsible.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:34 pm Reply with quote
^
Oh, I always loved Kagome's mother. Couldn't ask for a more understanding parent, especially in spoiler[supporting her decision to follow her heart and permanently go back to the feudal era in the end]. She's be worthy of being on this list if it was expanded out to a Top 10.

I am assuming this list is being limited to biological mothers, as otherwise Maquia strikes me as the most glaring omission. But then what about the mother in Wolf's Children?

Of the ones that are present, I am particularly happy to see Junko and Eva both there. Both are under-appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I think KEY stories have the best moms/aunts. Basically every one of them was amazing

Just don't eat that one's jam. Or the other one's bread. And for kamisama's sake, do not, ever, EVER let them combine the two.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Harou's mother in Hi Score Girl was hilarious.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:08 pm Reply with quote
For my favorite (living) moms and mom-figures, I’d have to start with Yasuko from Toradora, Aunt Akiko from Kanon, and Aoi’s mom from Encouragement of Climb. If I included movies then that opens it up to even more great characters like Momo’s mother from A Letter to Momo.

meruru wrote:
I personally found Kagome's mom hilarious in how chill she was about Kagome always skipping school to jump in a well to go to the super dangerous Sengoku jidai. Rather than making the protagonist an orphan to avoid the the story being inconvenienced by worrying parents, just make the mom comedically irresponsible.

Yeah, same thing with Nanoha’s mom. “Hey mom, I need to drop out of third grade for a while and go away with this nice lady from the space police because they need my help saving the world.” “Of course, dear, just do whatever you have to do.” Anime dazed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5