• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paper Mario: The Origami King Game Announced for Switch on July 17

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:43 am Reply with quote
man, this subseries has seriously lost its way after SPM. Not sure what went so wrong for a compelling turn-based RPG adventure to turn into what it's been since Sticker Star
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:33 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
man, this subseries has seriously lost its way after SPM. Not sure what went so wrong for a compelling turn-based RPG adventure to turn into what it's been since Sticker Star

Not for noting but the battle system in addition to the games in general are a tad bit romanticized. I’ve officially played through both 64 and TTYD (which I’m nearly finished with) and with all honestly it’s not that spectacular as it’s made out to be in certain aspects.

I mean I like how they tweaked the battle system so Mario’s teammates feel like their own characters (i.e. they can die in battle) but for some stupid reason retained the 2 on 3/4/5 battle system, added stylish moves which have janky timing, kept the obnoxious button command based moves, added an utterly stupid slot system that can break the already easy battles (if you can line up the symbols which is next to impossible) added a goofy (but sometimes funny mechanic) where you’re fighting on a stage in front of audience where both can hurt or benefit you or the enemies.

I mean yeah the card/sticker based battle system of Color Splash and Sticker Star were.....a bit on the dumb side but these games have always had a combat system that was never really flawless.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:47 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

From that reaction, I half-expected the trailer to be bad. Now that I've seen it, thanks for lowering my expectations, because now I kind of want the game.
SuperRed

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:12 am Reply with quote
Gameplay doesnt even look bad, as long as its not the same mess that is Sticker Stats's item system.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:14 pm Reply with quote
It looks a lot like Tearway, I wish Nintendo would realise that people didn't like it just because of it's paper aesthetics, they liked it because of it's characters, adventuring to unique places, fleshed out side quests and finding hidden secrets. Now it's just; hey look STICKERS, hey look PAINT and now hey look ORIGAMI.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I never understood the hate the recent PM games got.
Did SS have a few issues? Sure, but that doesn’t make it an awful game overall.
As for Color Splash, I really liked that one, especially in the music department. Was it the best one? No, but it was a big step up from the previous one.

Definitely not gonna be a negative Nancy about it and I’m really looking forward to this one.

Last edited by Heishi on Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
As for Color Splash, I really liked that one, especially in the music department. Was it the best one? No, but it was a big step up from the previous one.

Definitely not gonna be a negative Nancy about it and I’m really looking forward to this one.

it's because the first two games, especially Thousand Year Door, were genuinely great adventure games with a sense of scope and imagination. Sure if you're, say, a freaking Megami Tensei veteran, the difficulty of combat is a joke but it's still fun.

Super Paper Mario was where things got complicated. The experimental gameplay aside, there are allegations and rumors its notoriously dark plot and characters were what caused Miyamato to effectively snap considering Thousand Year Door was already a step up in questionable content for a Mario game. That's supposedly why there are no more OCs in Mario anymore (least of all this series) and why Paper Mario has gone the route of pure comic relief it has. And this is still a huge point of contention. The first Paper Mario was a lighthearted game, but it wasn't up in arms about jokes and puns of paper and was charming in a different way.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:08 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Heishi wrote:

it's because the first two games, especially Thousand Year Door, were genuinely great adventure games with a sense of scope and imagination. Sure if you're, say, a freaking Megami Tensei veteran, the difficulty of combat is a joke but it's still fun.

Super Paper Mario was where things got complicated. The experimental gameplay aside, there are allegations and rumors its notoriously dark plot and characters were what caused Miyamato to effectively snap considering Thousand Year Door was already a step up in questionable content for a Mario game. That's supposedly why there are no more OCs in Mario anymore (least of all this series) and why Paper Mario has gone the route of pure comic relief it has. And this is still a huge point of contention. The first Paper Mario was a lighthearted game, but it wasn't up in arms about jokes and puns of paper and was charming in a different way.

Well, I do like the first two games, TTYD in particular. I think that one is the best in the series.
Having said that, I enjoyed SPM for doing something different and I liked the dark plot behind it. If they went back to that route, I wouldn't mind, but I'm not gonna get salty about them going for a more comedic take. Mario isn't supposed to be this super serious game like Nier:Automata or even something like Mother 3.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:51 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
This is what Miyamato said
"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:
This is what Miyamato said
"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

yeah doesn't mean people have to necessarily agree. The Mario & Luigi RPGs were among the best and most charming properties to come out of the franchise solely due to OCs like Fawful (rip Alpha).

But you know, Nintendo is also notorious for being stubborn with their mainline properties and this weird ritualistic practices sooo Mario will be Mario and most people here will just go play Zelda and Fire Emblem.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Well this is the 3rd one now. Obviously people are buying the newer Paper Mario games otherwise they wouldn't keep making them. Looks entertaining enough to me so far, but I'll wait and see how it plays.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:46 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It looks a lot like Tearway, I wish Nintendo would realise that people didn't like it just because of it's paper aesthetics, they liked it because of it's characters, adventuring to unique places, fleshed out side quests

What fleshed out side quests?

cookiemanstah wrote:

Super Paper Mario was where things got complicated. The experimental gameplay aside, there are allegations and rumors its notoriously dark plot and characters were what caused Miyamato to effectively snap considering Thousand Year Door was already a step up in questionable content for a Mario game.

Which if you played Color Splash is of course not true considering the somewhat dark nature of the non standard game overs which include Mario being drained of his colors by shy-guys, getting swallowed up by black paint and lava, and Peach’s Portrait (which is the real peach sealed in painting form) getting crushed by debris.

cookiemanstah wrote:

That's supposedly why there are no more OCs in Mario anymore (least of all this series) and why Paper Mario has gone the route of pure comic relief it has.

I don’t remember the writing in 64 but the trend at the earliest started with TTYD with fourth wall breaking gags, the recurring joke of people not knowing who Mario is or how to pronounce his name, all the stuff with Bowser & Luigi etc.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu May 14, 2020 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say it's gonna be trash tier like Sticker Star, but certainly not a lot better than Color Splash. In the end mediocre at best, which I honestly doubt, it will probably just suck.
Here we have a perfect example of the Nintendo fanboys buying every trash game they dish out, because if either Sticker Star or Color Splash would have selled as bad as they deserved, Nintendo wouldn't make another similar one.
You can say what you want about Super Paper Mario, but in the end it was a great game, even if it had its fair share of flaws. A different style of gameplay can work out, but I would also argue that there is no reason for Paper Mario to try it differently, because we only got 2 main Paper Mario games after all.

Quote:
"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world."

This is just sad. The story AND the original characters were what gave Paper Mario its charme, it cannot work without both.

PS: If you guys also think Paper Mario is a bit to easy try out Paper Mario Master Quest (or Jr. which is more reasonable).
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I’m interested in this game. Personally, Super Paper Mario will always be my favorite just because of the story, though I would have preferred if it was a turn-based RPG like TTYD.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:34 am Reply with quote
Awesome trailer!

And releasing so soon too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2