• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow GN 1-4

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Champion overthinkers is a perfect description. Smile

I really like this series, though it is the slowest of slow burns. It’s typically a fantastic read.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I am so loving this manga but I am so hoping that some yuri would happen spoiler[but so far I thinking that this is more like a slice of life manga]. spoiler[I will hope see in upcoming chapters and volumes for more of a yuri type of manga]
Seagloom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:16 pm Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
I am so loving this manga but I am so hoping that some yuri would happen

Supposedly the mangaka stated on Twitter that this isn't a yuri story. There is contention over whether she was being serious, however. I can't verify, not having seen it myself.

spoiler[The subtext can get pretty thick either way. Most readers with yuri goggles are going to interpret their relationship as romantic.]
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Supposedly the mangaka stated on Twitter that this isn't a yuri story. There is contention over whether she was being serious, however. I can't verify, not having seen it myself.

spoiler[The subtext can get pretty thick either way. Most readers with yuri goggles are going to interpret their relationship as romantic.][/quote]

I believe you are right, I have not seen it either. spoiler[To me they are just friends with a normal friend relationship.] spoiler[However the review seems to be implying that it can be interpretted as a future yuri relationship. But so far I have not seen any indication of it.]
Seagloom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:51 pm Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
I believe you are right, I have not seen it either.

I was referring to the mangaka's tweet. I've already read beyond the four volumes this review covers. spoiler[And as I mentioned before, the subtext can get thick. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest for someone to interpret this as a yuri series.]

spoiler[Edit: To clarify my own stance, I'm not 100% sold on it being yuri but it isn't because I interpret their relationship as strictly platonic. Rather, I'm very jaded when it comes to subtext. Especially after a series like Bloom Into You. However, if someone told me they interpret the relationship between the leads of this series as romantic, I wouldn't dispute it. Because there's more than enough signs suggesting it as the series goes on.]
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I've heard good things about this manga, and I read the first chapter earlier today. It was pretty nice. But before I read further, I want to ask: There aren't any panty shots or scenes involving boob groping, does it? I honestly can't stand those, so if this manga does have them, I'm not touching it.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Not a one.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, dude! Now I can add this to my reading list! Woohoo! Very Happy
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote
I want to give it a shot, but it seems too light for me, especially seeing the author's "girls life" comment.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:03 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
I want to give it a shot, but it seems too light for me, especially seeing the author's "girls life" comment.

I think the yuri's there if that's what you're worried about, authorial comments notwithstanding. Koyuki, at least, is definitely attracted to Konatsu by volume four, and while this is, as Pharmboy said, a slow burn, I do think it is burning. Now if you don't like slow stories, this may not work for you, because it is slow-paced. Probably the best thing is to see if you can find a library with it to check if you'll like it.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:43 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Edit: To clarify my own stance, I'm not 100% sold on it being yuri but it isn't because I interpret their relationship as strictly platonic. Rather, I'm very jaded when it comes to subtext. Especially after a series like Bloom Into You. However, if someone told me they interpret the relationship between the leads of this series as romantic, I wouldn't dispute it. Because there's more than enough signs suggesting it as the series goes on.][/quote]

spoiler[I have read up to volume 8 chapter 28.5 and so far to me this is only a slice of life manga. I don't see any yuri at all, but I was hoping that there would be but after 8 volumes I am not sure if there are going to be any. I heard a lot of people tell me that this manga is similar to Bloom into You, but I don't think it is anything like Bloom into You. I am a bigh fan of Bloom into You and this manga has a good frienship slice of life story.] I love to conversate and it is just me wanting to conversate
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
I think that's totally fair, TanyaTheEvil - I spoiler[love subtext], but it's a very subjective thing. Maybe one of the strengths of the series then is spoiler[that there is debate about whether it's about a romantic or a platonic relationship. I could almost see it as half-and-half, with Koyuki having romantic feelings and Konatsu having platonic ones.] I do keep going back to the whole "The Salamander" thing, though, because while I wouldn't put money on it, I could see that as turning into some kind of warning about their relationship, even in just a friendship sense.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:56 am Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
spoiler[I have read up to volume 8 chapter 28.5 and so far to me this is only a slice of life manga. I don't see any yuri at all, but I was hoping that there would be but after 8 volumes I am not sure if there are going to be any. I heard a lot of people tell me that this manga is similar to Bloom into You, but I don't think it is anything like Bloom into You. I am a bigh fan of Bloom into You and this manga has a good frienship slice of life story.] I love to conversate and it is just me wanting to conversate

spoiler[Ah, I see. Well, I think as far as subtext goes there's enough evidence to suggest a yuri route in progress. I'm just unwilling to accept it as yuri without definitive confirmation because stories laden with subtext so often ride that ambiguity to the end. I agree it isn't anything like Bloom Into You. The subtext in that series was about character history and development--not concealing the possibility of a romantic relationship itself. It was very obviously gay nearly from the start and held no punches in its last volume. It was also anything but a slow burn. If anything I thought Bloom Into You bordered on melodramatic.]

spoiler[A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow is sedate in comparison. I see it as a slice of life story too, and I think Adachi and Shimamura is better as a slow burn yuri romance; if for no other reason than there's less ambiguity. I think there are hints of yuri in A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow. I mean, they even drop the infamous "The moon is beautiful" line at one point; which is usually used as a confession. I just don't expect this story to amount to much more than subtext because the mangaka is being so coy. My expectation is it will end up another series yuri fans agree is yuri and everyone else agrees is platonic. Which is one of the reasons why I'm so tired of subtext.]
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:57 am Reply with quote
Me to, I see some innuendos here and there but so far I am really liking the manga and I am hanging in there to see how it is going to turn out

Last edited by TanyaTheEvil on Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:00 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[spoiler]A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow is sedate in comparison. I see it as a slice of life story too, and I think Adachi and Shimamura is better as a slow burn yuri romance; if for no other reason than there's less ambiguity. I think there are hints of yuri in A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow. I mean, they even drop the infamous "The moon is beautiful" line at one point; which is usually used as a confession. I just don't expect this story to amount to much more than subtext because the mangaka is being so coy. My expectation is it will end up another series yuri fans agree is yuri and everyone else agrees is platonic. Which is one of the reasons why I'm so tired of subtext.][/quote][/spoiler]

Me too, I did not know that about the moon is beautiful, that is very interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2