• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Playboard: World's Biggest Superchat Earner is Virtual YouTuber Kiryu Coco

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, she even brought up during one of her Asacoco Live newscasts that the Superchats got way out of hand around her birthday due to multiple event happening back-to-back. What with her birthday, reaching a certain amount of subs, her 3D debut, what simp in his right mind wouldn't take out a loan to shell out during that festive time? I like to think that being (Dragon) American played a big part into her success. I also like how 5 out of those 10 are all Hololive members, you got the Mafia Boss Dragon, the Cutting Board Necromancer, an Onion, Ha↑Ha↑Ha↑Ha↑Ha↑, and the O̶v̶e̶r̶ 3̶0̶ Pirate Captain, go get you that bank, girls!

Update: Never thought I'd see the day where my favorite VTuber would be featured on the news banner here.

Last edited by LiteMangime on Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:55 am; edited 4 times in total
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Nice walking around money ... in a virtual way.

Mark Gosdin
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm kind of surprised how low those numbers are given how seemingly large of a community Youtube and VTubers are

It's good money, but it's not even close to the higher echelons of Twitch streamers.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Wow, I'm kind of surprised how low those numbers are given how seemingly large of a community Youtube and VTubers are

It's good money, but it's not even close to the higher echelons of Twitch streamers.

Well, these numbers don't include the money they are getting from their youtube memberships, only superchats. Youtube doesn't publicly disclose how many members streamers have to my knowledge, but you can probably assume Coco is 5000-10000 or so.

There's also a big difference in culture between Japanese vtubers and twitch streamers when it comes to donations. Things like "donation goals" or "member goals" are never done, and they don't use text to speech or other notification gimmicks outside of youtube's default coloring. This probably goes back to Japan's general looking down upon "begging" for support, so although they almost always thank each of the donations, they don't read every one of them, and they are never done with the expectation of getting anything for them (like TTS or getting the streamer to do some incentive).

That I think explains why despite the large subscriber numbers don't translate to AS high donation numbers compared to twitch. And it also IMO promotes a healthier environment.
Flü

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

That's just from Superchats. They also get a lot through monthly memberships on top of that + merch sales.

But yeah, they are still more niche and less internationally mainstream than your high-profile streamer. You gotta remember that even the highest subbed VTuber (Fubuki) "only" has 800k subs, which is way less than mainstream YouTubers as well.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
It makes you wonder how successful 5th gen Hololive Vtubers will be eventually.
Xionea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see the Hololive girls are doing really well (at least, I'd like to assume this is successful). Shoutout to all the simps, you the real MVPs! Gotta make sure they retire in luxury.

I'm also glad to see Pekora is as high up as she is. I'm a diehard Pekora fan but there's that little part of me that worries the fanbase is too fixated on teasing her sometimes, but it's nice to see we're giving her tons of love as well.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I heard that the streamers get a salary, and Hololive pockets all the Youtube earnings. If they do get a cut, Watame's getting that house.
Flü

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
I heard that the streamers get a salary, and Hololive pockets all the Youtube earnings. If they do get a cut, Watame's getting that house.

Hololive pockets it first, also to pay the staff behind the scene (artists, animators, managers, social media), but from what I heard the talent get a certain direct share of their streaming income.

I assume they aren't really getting "rich" from that, but most of them are relatively well off. Some still work part-time, but maybe less as a necessity and more because they like to.
teferi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Flü wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

That's just from Superchats. They also get a lot through monthly memberships on top of that + merch sales.

But yeah, they are still more niche and less internationally mainstream than your high-profile streamer. You gotta remember that even the highest subbed VTuber (Fubuki) "only" has 800k subs, which is way less than mainstream YouTubers as well.

Does Kizuna Ai not count or something?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Coco is easily because she grabbed the English audience AND the Japanese. We're not supposed to talk about it, but her RL account is also really successful. Depending on how much Hololive gives her, she could be making real bank. From I heard is that they're salary+ a % of Super Chat (I didn't see anything mentioned about membership cut but I assume they'd get something from that too. If it was just salary they would probably stream as little as they felt like (IIRC, the audition form mentioned 2 days week minimum). Anyway, hopefully they're getting enough and can quit their part-time jobs. Hopefully Watame can get her mom that house soon.

And I have to agree with that comment earlier about Pekora. I only started watching her a few months ago and she's honestly really inspiring. She's not the best at games, but she never gives up and always succeeds in the end even when it sounds like she's suffering. She legit sounds like she's gonna cry or is crying sometimes and the chat isn't very nice to her usually. But overall it seems like she knows it's a form of love for her. I hope she knows that.

Now I just wish more people would come to appreciate Luna.

I suspect that Inugami Korone will be up there soon. She's on pace to pass Fubuki in subs by next summer if nothing changes and her Super Chats are getting crazier every time.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I suspect that Inugami Korone will be up there soon. She's on pace to pass Fubuki in subs by next summer if nothing changes and her Super Chats are getting crazier every time.

The reason Korone lags behind in SC earnings is because she simply doesn't do the kind of content that earns you a ton of those. She basically just does very long streams of (usually retro) games, and very very rarely does things like karaoke streams. She also usually streams very late at night for Japan time.

But I think she is perfectly happy doing what she is doing and she definitely earns enough to make a living, plus she lives at a bakery so she gets all the free bread she wants Wink
N_roxy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

The reason Korone lags behind in SC earnings is because she simply doesn't do the kind of content that earns you a ton of those. She basically just does very long streams of (usually retro) games, and very very rarely does things like karaoke streams. She also usually streams very late at night for Japan time.

But I think she is perfectly happy doing what she is doing and she definitely earns enough to make a living, plus she lives at a bakery so she gets all the free bread she wants Wink

Korone does not monetize the karaoke's so that they are not archived afterwards due to copyright.

And she doesn't do talking livestreams / super-chat livestreams / drikings livestrems

And when she wants to celebrate something she just plays a game, most of them have special celebration lives that give a lot of superchats. She is a simple and humble doog who only asks for yubis and have fun playing games and watching movies.

After watching her for a long time I don't know if it is part of her natural personality or the character, but she is not very good at that kind of thing.
Even seeing her grow so much, she treats everything so naturally, if a common vtuber managed to get as many subs as she did in such a short time, she would be doing all kinds of celebrations and that kind of thing.
And I love it about her.

Last edited by N_roxy on Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I bet all those superchats are just a money laundering operation from the Kiryuu-dan.

Megiddo wrote:

Well, on top of those cultural differences, Hololive's boom is pretty recent. The subscriber count for most of them have doubled or tripled since March. There's also a lot of them. I think there's like three dozen people from Hololive alone sharing a similar audience.
Amusingly, Youtube's algorithm recommending Korone videos because of corona seems to have helped a bit.

Kougeru wrote:
Now I just wish more people would come to appreciate Luna.

Luna is... complicated. From what I've watched of her she is cute but creepy but annoying but fun.

samuelp wrote:

I like that they are given a lot of freedom with their content, it's obvious that Korone is just doing whatever she wants (I guess the gamer branch exists because they had candidates that weren't that interested in the small talk and idol-ish stuff?).
Her schedule is pretty weird indeed. Usually I'm just enjoying her streams until I go "wait, isn't the sun about to rise over there?". And then when you think she must finally be sleeping, she suddenly pops up in somebody else's stream. If it weren't for that famous Jibanyan clock I would wonder if she even sleeps at all.

teferi wrote:
Does Kizuna Ai not count or something?

Flü probably meant among Hololive.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:47 am Reply with quote
Would love to see Projekt Melody's earnings and followers compared to any of these Vtubers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2