• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Detective Conan: The Crimson Love Letter

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jex2193

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I remember when Gosho Aoyama admitted he liked Chihayafuru, then this was announced. Not my favorite movie, but I always loved the fall colors.
MushroomMan674

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, someone on ANN actually reviewing something Conan related? How about that.

Personally, I thought this was a better movie than Zero.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Hope to see review of M22 as well.

I could not get used to Shizuno's directorial style, however much revenue he has generated for the franchise. And he has done a great deal to push the franchise from earning a good profit to earning a staggering amount of profit. So going into the film, my expectations were really not that high.

This is the first script written by Okura Takahiro. He will go on to write M23. He has written a few scripts for the TV episodes as well. I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt if he continues to write the script for future films and TV episodes. But at this point, he is not as good as Sakurai Takeharu. Okura's script feels chaotic and lacks central theme. It focuses on aesthetics a lot, sort of like Kashiwabara (script for M10/M11), whose scripts I also do not like very much. Okura struggles to integrate romance into the plot, which is not good, because Aoyama is really good at this and you can clearly see the gap.

Of course, none of them are as good as the Kodama Kenji + Kochi Kazunari combo. But I try my best to not lump the older films with the newer films. The purpose and existence of the yearly Gekijouban in the entire franchise has changed a lot.

Overall, M21 falls within the bottom 5, still don't really get M16 all these years later, much worse M14 and bottom tier M11.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't think he's in this movie but fun fact: Griffin Burns, Shinichi's English VA, is dating Cristina Vee (Ran). I think Takagi and Sato's English VA's are married too.

That's pretty cool that they didn't just default to a Southern accent for the Osakan characters.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
This is really surprising to me. I never thought that any of the other "Detective Conan" films would get an English dub. I'm amazed at something like this. How can this be? This series didn't exactly set the American anime world on fire. So,why is this getting a dub now? Can someone tell me that? I'd really like to know.
JRPictures

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:52 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
This is really surprising to me. I never thought that any of the other "Detective Conan" films would get an English dub. I'm amazed at something like this. How can this be? This series didn't exactly set the American anime world on fire. So,why is this getting a dub now? Can someone tell me that? I'd really like to know.

TMS Entertainment's US branch has basically been working to get Detective Conan in a more prominent spot in the west now. They're the ones who have been paying/co-producing the dubs for these recent releases (Crimson Love Letter, Zero the Enforcer, Episode One Special) and are working with Discotek to get them out on home video (with more on the way as Discotek's recent online panel mentioned)
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:43 pm Reply with quote
JRPictures wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:

TMS Entertainment's US branch has basically been working to get Detective Conan in a more prominent spot in the west now. They're the ones who have been paying/co-producing the dubs for these recent releases (Crimson Love Letter, Zero the Enforcer, Episode One Special) and are working with Discotek to get them out on home video (with more on the way as Discotek's recent online panel mentioned)

I'm guessing the next film will probably be Fist of the Blue Sapphire and they'll just go back from there through the 2010 films.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Well,JRPictures. I didn't know TMS had a US branch and was trying to get this show noticed here. Let's see what happens. It may work. I don't know. As for MFrontier,I have no idea about "The Blue Sapphire." Heck,I don't even know what it's about. We may find out about it soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1