• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers HDR Disc Replacement for Akira Film's 4K Remaster

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:35 am Reply with quote
funimation and screwups, 2 things that will ALWAYS go together ....
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:49 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* If only good 4K TVs didn't cost over $1,000 USD. Guess I stick to 1440p for now. This would have been the 4th time I've bought Akira too.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little confused, did the standard edition purposefully release with SDR so that the HDR version could be sold as a limited edition? Or was that an accident? Because if they purposefully did that, that's just scummy. Certainly feels like an Aniplex move.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I saw it a couple months ago at a theatrical screening which was by far the best viewing of AKIRA I've ever seen.
Azumi14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I brought my version from Japan and it is 4K and HDR. I also just got the Funimation version that was supposed to be also 4K HDR but is 4K SDR. The 4K HDR vs 4K SDR is night and day. HDR is so clear, bright and vivid. The Funimation 4K SDR is so dark and dull. The 1080 Blu ray version is better than this. I glad Funimation is offering replacements for sending defective disks.
benzappa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I am very, very unhappy about this. I will never again preorder a Sony/Funimation release.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:33 pm Reply with quote
While their site is up, I think RightStuf's staff have been off for a long holiday weekend; and no doubt a well deserved one at that. Anyway, this Akira version ( not HDR but SDR 4K ) is still for sale there. I imagine that will change pretty soon.

Let me add, its not RightStufs fault that Funi goofed.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:25 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I'm a little confused, did the standard edition purposefully release with SDR so that the HDR version could be sold as a limited edition? Or was that an accident? Because if they purposefully did that, that's just scummy. Certainly feels like an Aniplex move.

It's hard to tell. I looked at the blog post for some details on how the replacement works, and it the wording is kind of weird. It sort of reads like maybe they had SDR to start with and went with that and then the HDR version arrived after so it was used for the later limited edition. It's hard to tell if that was the intent to help sell the LE, or if a discrepancy in materials they received was the cause, hence the later release for the LE. As quickly as this was announced after the release, it seems like they were already aware of the difference but it might have been too late to deal with it before discs went out.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:39 pm Reply with quote
benzappa wrote:
I am very, very unhappy about this. I will never again preorder a Sony/Funimation release.
There are dozens of releases Funimation puts out every year that have zero issues and they corrected this one and you get a free replacement. Yes Funimation should have done a better quality control check of their release but do people really think other companies never have issues or disc replacements? Like how many times did Discotek do a disc replacement for subtitle issues on their shows?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

If it's free replacements, I can't see any reason why they'd have released it this way on purpose. If it was on purpose, they'd tell everyone to hold the L and buy it again.
TheDaddyOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:27 am Reply with quote
Hey there,

It would be great after three months for ANN to find out if you can from Funimation what's going on.

Please?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:21 am Reply with quote
When there is any news ANN would report on it. Until then you'll just have to wait like the rest of us for Funimation to release any news.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1