• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I★CHU: Halfway Through The Idol (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:26 pm Reply with quote

I★CHU: Halfway Through The Idol (TV)

Themes: idols

Plot Summary: Youths aiming to become full-fledged idols enroll in the Étoile Vio School where the students are called are called IChu. But soon after they begin, Kuma KOCHO gets them off to a rocky start with a single phrase. As they each work toward their individual goals, their activities as idols make the IChu begin to wonder... "What is an idol?" In their struggle to find an answer, the springtime of the IChu's lives is whittled out in glittering moments and flashes of brilliance.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I don't normally watch male idol anime, It is not like female idol anime are on average great, but male ones can be a bit hard to connect with. But I watched this one. I am not even going to say that it would be necessarily an exception, because most of the time it did not grab my attention that much. But there was something that did make me a little interested to come back, and it was that the OP showed some seemingly female characters, which I thought maybe a mix gender idol show could be interesting, and that is kind of what I might have the most to say.

The third episode introduced Kokoro, a sort of senior to the starter idols and glamorous, with the sort of twist to the feminine character being that they are a otokonoko. An otokonoko is Japanese is essentially a Japanese crossdresser, and as a general idea kind of hits a weird spot where it could push acceptance of a feminine presenting AMAB person as it is not necessarily just mockery of them, but it could also be erasure of transgender people by saying that they are still just a man. Kokoro sits in this weird position, where they are pretty much always presenting femininely, but is being included by this school that seemingly only does male idols, and is pretty open to the fans what their sex is. It is shown that when they started, even though they are loved now, some people had a cooled reaction.

To be frank, I am not sure I understand what Kokoro's gender identity is. Whether if they were a real person they might actually be a transgender person, and is just within this culture of Japan has to adopt this title of an otokonoko to be accepted while not seeming to hide parts of themselves. While also not right to just assume it. Kokoro was later joined by two friends to have a three person group, with said friends first presenting as males, but afterwards present only as femininely. Regardless, these characters were among the most interesting, even with mixed thoughts.

But in general it was not too interesting. I mean, I was kind of confused in how I understood this as a school, and then find out that apparently some of the characters are drinking alcohol, so they are actually adults, and can do adult things like drink. Which does not feel that common, especially in a show that isn't trying to lampoon the idea of idols. My rating So-so (5/10), it did not really catch my attention, but I would not say that it was outright bad, I would even say some episodes were interesting like with the edgy guy, or the resort episode that turned into pranks. The principal as apparently some guy in a giant bear costume, was a bit weird, but I won't mark against the show to kind of sticking to it and never having it questioned that the leader of an idol school/agency is just a giant teddy bear all the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1