• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
This definitely feels like a continuation of the first season rather than a second season if that makes any sense. Not that I'm complaining.

I feel like enough time was spent with the kids in the OVAs, that it isn't necessary here in the second season, but since there might be people who only get access to the seasons and not the OVAs (hopefully they get a home release too) I can understand that criticism.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I haven't even watched these 2 episodes and likely won't for the next 2. Chronologically they make no sense as they should have been last season and I was looking forward to the arc that should have begun. Like I get these episodes were needed since they introduce some things that are required for the arc but that's why they should have been thrown into an OVA. Now I feel like we're going to see the main arc of this season not given the amount of episodes it should get because it's not going to start until episode 5.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:10 am Reply with quote
They nixed several parts of the light novels and manga I wanted to see animated last season such as Rimuru demonstrating his Full Potion in Ingrassia and actually learning the demon summoning skill he used to help Ramiris, which made me pretty darn mad, especially since there was no reason that I can see for it. The season ended looking like the next thing we'd see is spoiler[Hinata ambushing Rimuru and the attack on Tempest], INSTEAD they move the stuff that should have been in the first season, which I had already made peace with not seeing, to the second season and they're STILL not covering the parts I really DID want to see! Who planned this mess!? Ugh!

These two new episodes were fun and I love seeing Rimuru in pretty outfits.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
As for the discussion over Shion, sometimes, even in real life, you have to put up with your family and friends. Even the ones that act stupid crazy.

Just how close does the monster naming ceremony bring the namer and the named together......
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I believe I love Rimuru show because it takes the more political / nation growing route for the series over mindless shounen stu power flexing. It reminds me of Spice and Wolf in a way.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:03 pm Reply with quote
It reads as exactly the opposite to me. He's infinitely powerful, and that allows him to solve any problem that comes up (as he's done multiple times), so even if he screws everything up politically, it's no big deal. And he has faced exactly zero struggles on the political side, because the author has his back. This is nothing like Spice and Wolf.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:49 am Reply with quote
^
Agreed. The Spice & Wolf franchise is in a whole different realm of complexity, one where even the powerful Holo cannot just transform into a giant wolf and solve everything without BIG consequences.

Yeah, have to agree that the franchise feeling it is just limping along right now. It's sliding towards the same kind of "will watch if I'm bored" category that Laid Back Camp 2 is in for me. (Mind you, I like LBC, but it would never be a priority view.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:21 am Reply with quote
Shinon is getting on my nerves as well.
Trying to monopolize Rimuru's time and body is one thing. A private tantrum is awful but maybe passable. But getting drunk in the middle of a diplomatic mission is inexcusable, what the hell was she doing even reaching for the glasses/bottles without being given permission? This isn't something she should be able to get away with.
It's one thing to represent oni as crude and violent drunkards, it's another to put one in a position of responsability and have her act as a womanchild.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:02 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
It reads as exactly the opposite to me. He's infinitely powerful, and that allows him to solve any problem that comes up (as he's done multiple times), so even if he screws everything up politically, it's no big deal. And he has faced exactly zero struggles on the political side, because the author has his back. This is nothing like Spice and Wolf.

Agreed. I like this show and all but Rimuru has it WAY too easy. He even gets called out on it spoiler[later by another Japanese who got reincarnated before Rimuru did that others had it rough while he's had it easy]
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed the episode, but glad to see the plot start moving again. While I enjoy the slow paced world building as well, by this episode I was ready to pick up the pace, so it's good to see that's happening.
I suppose we'll see by the end of the season how the pacing works out, but these last 4 episodes probably could have been condensed to 3 (or maybe even 2) without losing too much. I suppose with 24 episodes things can afford to move a bit slower though.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Honestly, it's a solid plan and the first credible threat to the Tempest nation since the invasion of the orc hordes.
The orcs weren't a credible threat, and this one isn't, either, simply because of the kind of show this is. I feel no tension, just an eye-rolling exasperation at the show's attempts to present this as some kind of danger lurking on the horizon. The Slime Time sticom is funny, but attempting to build dramatic tension is a fool's errand.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The episode ended with an implication that Millim might fight against Tempest. While I don't believe for a second that will happen beyond some "Eggman fooled Knuckles again" situation, it would be an interesting scenario as she seems to be the only character in the story actually able to overpower Rimuru.

Yttrbio wrote:
Quote:
Honestly, it's a solid plan and the first credible threat to the Tempest nation since the invasion of the orc hordes.
The orcs weren't a credible threat, and this one isn't, either, simply because of the kind of show this is. I feel no tension, just an eye-rolling exasperation at the show's attempts to present this as some kind of danger lurking on the horizon. The Slime Time sticom is funny, but attempting to build dramatic tension is a fool's errand.

It isn't much, but it's something in the sense that this isn't a problem that they can bruteforce their way out. Sure they could win the war with ease but their ultimate state project would be in shambles. This is something they need to either defuse or win the propaganda battle.
yawnerz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:00 pm Reply with quote
God, this arc is such a boring dumpster fire. Such a bad call on the director to skip backwards and cover useless fanservice. As if we didn't get 4 OVAs worth of that already. Episode 4 and they still hadn't started the actual season 2.

At this rate, we won't get to any of the good stuff later on.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:26 pm Reply with quote
One seems to be forgetting a summons is a weapon in this world and Four summons will be attacking Tempest. One summons trapped Veldora the dragon. One of the worlds strongest inhabitants. Now four of these will attack Tempest. The damage will be massive in my mind. Also the Church of the west will be involved. Who knows what powers they have against monsters. This may be the end of Tempest all together as a nation. Just have to wait and see!
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Is that the novel's back cover blurb?

I don't care if summons are supposed to be mostly powerful, I have no reason to believe that these kids will be more of a threat than the previous threats which were all hyped up to be a big deal but only were so as far as Rimuru let them.

There was Shizu, and there was the one who sealed (not killed, sealed) Veldora, but other than that they seem to need to gain experience and mature, and so far these seem just like rowdy teens drunk on their own power (with their sights set on the masters holding their leashes at that). I can't really believe that they will be more of a threat than Shion throwing a thantrum.

As for the Church of the West, they're a non-entity that just got introduced. Can't see how this institution that is sitting as just another minister at the council table is a big deal yet, as much as it's trying to evoke the Catholic Church and its crusades (which as far as success goes were quite a mixed bag...). It's menacing by proxy, not by its own merits, so far.

Here are the newly introduced villains brewing their nefarious plan. And here are the overeager combatants for the action scenes. That's neither new, specially interesting on its own nor ana ctual threat when thrown against an isekai protagonist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 45