• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Pokémon Legends: Arceus Game, Pokémon Diamond/Pokémon Pearl Remakes Announced for Switch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I know this is divisive, but I like the chibi look, gives my Link's Awakening vives. Though I have two concerns, one will the Fire Elite four member have more than two fire types and two how will they handle the HMs? Either way, I'm looking forward to these remakes. I think I might play as the Girl trainer for once, because I liked Dawn in the Anime.

Also Legends look great so far too.
db999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure how I feel about the art style for the remakes. I really like how the in-battle gameplay looks, but I'm not too sure about the chibi-art style in the overworld. I'm also a bit concerned about what they mean by faithful remakes. I really enjoyed most of the additions that they made for pokemon platinum, both story and gameplay-wise. Mostly I hope they use the Platinum teams for the fire-type trainers, and allow you to catch pokemon from gen 5 and up. What I am most anxious about is going to be the difficulty. Gen 4 is one of my favorite generations in part because of how challenging the Elite 4 can be, so I hope they let you turn off the exp. share if they decide to use the new exp share. So I might actually wait for reviews to come out before deciding on whether to get the remakes. I'll definitely be buying both Legends and New Pokemon Snap because those are the ones that excite me more.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like Sword and Shield but the character design and how the game visually looked was fine in my opinion.

I was hoping the Diamond and Pearl remake would look similar to Sword and Shield but it didn't. It instead had chibi style which was disappointing to say the least. It's faithful remake with the original diamond and pearl director on it but I wanted the remake to at least feel different while retaining the core elements. e.g. RE 2 remake and FF7 Remake(sort of).

Pokemon Legends looks awesome though
Skydrop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I think anyone will used to with that chibi graphics once actually play the game. At least really glad they didn't go for Lets go remake route which looked bland to me. Only slightly hope that they don't lower the difficulty or introduce z-moves/dynamax gimmick stuff.
Lann

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I knew it. This is the first time where the remakes will not look vastly different from the original. The DS titles onwards will have no need for remakes in my opinion. Funny thing is that I'm still waiting for a proper gen 1 remake which isn't on the GBA nor the weird Lets Go series. Hopefully when there is one it will be more open world. Talking of which, this Legends game or whatever sounds like it has potential to be amazing.
Crpt774

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm Reply with quote
good to see DP remakes. to those complaining about the chibi style: its literally the old artstyle in 3d. DP used chibi characters, and it isn't even carried into battles (though may have been better if they had given how those models look).

will be interested in seeing what they do with it in the next 6 months.

Very interested in Legends, just waiting for something that isn't on the level of BotWs first gameplay vids now, but so far so good. Look at snap, take some lessons from the models there. carry it forward (and hope that another sub version of switch comes out in the mean time to give you more power). Hoping they can carry lessons from this with the overworld battling into another Colosseum/Anime hyper game at some point.

There is a year for them to get this right and I'm hoping the plot and intended functions are already written and everything and just needs implementing.

Snap is 30th April. if they had used those models in SwSh, there would have been far fewer complaints about the dex reduction. I like how we can now add artificial colours and flavours to wild pokemon, though I'm not into photography enough to actually get the game myself.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Skydrop wrote:
I think anyone will used to with that chibi graphics once actually play the game. At least really glad they didn't go for Lets go remake route which looked bland to me. Only slightly hope that they don't lower the difficulty or introduce z-moves/dynamax gimmick stuff.

yeah that's the problem, i don't wanna have to get used to them. yes I l know overall it is gonna be fine. but after all this time waiting for a remake you couldn't just do what you did with the lets go pikachu, or SW and SH??

oh well, maybe when they remake it again in 10 years they can get it right. (yes im gonna buy it anyway. )
otastorian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Arceus, Dialga, and Palkia back in the spotlight? Pokemon TCG players are shaking in their boots right now.
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I think I might finally get myself a Switch
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Gen 4 is my personal favorite generation, and I'm honestly fine with the chibi artstyle, but I share db999's trepidation regarding how much emphasis they were putting on these being "faithful" remakes. Even outside of just the improvements from Platinum, I would hope they implement further changes and additions like what HGSS saw in comparison to GSC and ORAS saw in comparison to RSE.

A simple coat of 3D paint alone isn't enough for me to justify buying BDSP.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Legends looks like what Sword and Shield should have been all along.

I'm not really a fan of the chibi 3D style for the Gen 4 remakes. It looks like it's trying to be Link's Awakening but without the miniature diorama aesthetic which made that work. Here's hoping they don't gut the Battle Frontier again like ORAS did because "people have phones these days to play other games so we decided not to make more content for these games"
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:05 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Legends looks like what Sword and Shield should have been all along.

I'm not really a fan of the chibi 3D style for the Gen 4 remakes. It looks like it's trying to be Link's Awakening but without the miniature diorama aesthetic which made that work. Here's hoping they don't gut the Battle Frontier again like ORAS did because "people have phones these days to play other games so we decided not to make more content for these games"

Was that really the reason cause if we look back at all the games going back to Red & Blue the mid & post game has been...."inconsistent" when it comes to depth.
bagman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:30 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Was that really the reason cause if we look back at all the games going back to Red & Blue the mid & post game has been...."inconsistent" when it comes to depth.

Unfortunately that's really what was said, I retired after that game cause of how mad I was
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I’m super hyped for this. Maybe it’ll look better cause they outsourced it to ILCA.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:50 pm Reply with quote
bagman wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Unfortunately that's really what was said, I retired after that game cause of how mad I was

Full quote from an Italian magazine that interviewed Masuda back in 2015

Q:We noticed ORAS had a lower difficulty level compared to previous Pokemon games. What bought you to this decision? Any chance that future games will have the possibility to adjust difficulty level as seen in Black and White 2?

A:What? How come you've already played the games? hearty laughter [the games were supposed to come out in Italy the day after the interview] We created a "balanced" game that was suited for our time and age, where everyone is very busy and young people have various means of entertainment. Using smartphones and other devices they can access a great number of games, so the time they dedicate to a single game is less than in the past. The player can choose to keep on playing after the main story and continue to the post-game, where the difficulty rises and there are much more difficult Trainers and challenges to overcome.

Q:Why wasn't the Battle Frontier in the remakes?

A:This question is connected with my previous answer. We didn't put the BF in ORAS for this very reason. Interviewer's note: In short he means that they didn't include the BF because only a very small part of the players would have fully appreciated and made use of this feature; nowadays players get bored and frustrated more easily and they aren't interested in things that are so demanding/challenging.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2