• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Launches New Beta Website in U.S.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:27 pm Reply with quote
The description at least sounds good. The service feels really clunky to use right now
ab2143

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Looks similar to the interface on the iOS apps

Crunchylists sounds interesting. Though I still prefer the old queue layout where I could sort the shows in the order that I want. I'm guessing this Crunchylist feature is the reason why the queue has been really, really buggy lately where some or all of my shows end up not showing up on my queue?

Looking forward to hearing the feedback from American users. Whenever Crunchyroll announce new features / updates, there’s almost always problems with it lmao
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
The Roku interface has been completely unusable since they rolled out a "new" version a while back. We let our subscription lapse because it was just unwatchable; wouldn't stay logged, wouldn't load shows, wouldn't remember the last episode watched or how far had gotten in an episode, took an extremely long time loading and scrolling, terrible sorting, difficult to find shows, bad user interface. Literally one of the worst apps of any sort I have ever used on any platform.

Any change there couldn't possibly be worse.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully it fixes some of their problems, and doesn't come with a fee increase. :roll

I would really like to have my own lists, just to keep track of what shows have been released in the last few seasons. I have been using my Funi/Crunchy ques for just that, but it's very clumsy to do. It puts new shows way down a list of 50 some shows doing that. I know, I should just start keeping a typed list in my computer. Embarassed I already have a typed backlist of shows I'd liked to buy someday, so I don't forget about those.

Their app has developed a habit of forgetting I'm a premium user and telling me I can't watch new eps until next week, but not on all of my devices. So I have one roku tv I can watch stuff on, and two that I can't, unless I re-register those rokus once a week or so. It has made me think about cancelling. I usually don't do betas of anything and I don't want to do this one. Evil or Very Mad
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if that redesign extends to that 90's era horror of a front page...

That being said, yeah, it would be nice if they put back the queue features we lost in the "upgrade" a year ago. But overall, I hold out little hope because if there's one thing Crunchyroll is consistent on - it's a steady degradation of the user experience. They don't seem to grasp that the users don't want bright and shiny and new, they want the site (and apps) to work, and they want to watch anime.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Wish there was a way to opt-in. I'm in the US and have premium but have never gotten an email or pop-up/header on the website asking to try it.
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Unamused only American Premium users get to try out the Beta first. Not like there's a .ca version of the site for Canadians. It's .com. Canada gets all the same series access as the USA so don't see why Canada should be in the International roll out section... Only one site version existed when I joined.

Subscription fees already went up last year by not a minor amount... to which I was always charged in US$ until a few years ago (CR couldn't be bothered to inform existing users that could pay in own country currency) since again only the one site existed when I joined.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Wish they would fix their Android TV app. Even on a Shield TV and a gigabit connection, it still frequently hangs during playback, and sometimes the interface will just freeze up entirely, forcing you to restart the app. Not that the Funimation app is much better. Sony really needs to get on this stuff if they want to keep taking my money.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I hope that they will also rollout some new versions to their console apps and sync the queues between PC/mobile/console. I watch across all 3, and it never syncs with which episode I'm actually on. Sometimes I will be caught up with a show and will be accurate on one, but the progress bar goes away on the other, as if I haven't watched it yet, or say I'm like 3 eps behind or something :/

Still, at least this looks like a step in the right direction? Not in the beta yet, myself.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how long we Canucks will have to wait for this? Looks cool. I hope they do something about their "All-New Anime" section. Almost every day there is a new episode of a simulcast show I'm following and using that section is my favourite way of accessing it. But when CR adds a catalog title, the entire "All-New Anime" section gets taken up with that one show.

I mean, I know you just have to click on the "more anime>>" button to get to what you're looking for, but it's a First World Problem, okay???
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:01 pm Reply with quote
ryonomiko wrote:
Unamused only American Premium users get to try out the Beta first. Not like there's a .ca version of the site for Canadians. It's .com. Canada gets all the same series access as the USA so don't see why Canada should be in the International roll out section... Only one site version existed when I joined.

Subscription fees already went up last year by not a minor amount... to which I was always charged in US$ until a few years ago (CR couldn't be bothered to inform existing users that could pay in own country currency) since again only the one site existed when I joined.

Personally, I blame the CRTC and can-con regulations. Just like your butter issue is the fault of supply management.
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I hate that in ios they aren't sorted by seasons anymore. The recommendations and then having to sort through all the different titles because i did not bookmark them previously is really a pain.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Forget that, I still have to use their desktop app because their website is virtually unwatchable. They should be focusing on usability first rather than these band-aid fixes.
Big Green Mean Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Good. It's interface is jank as all hell and needs fixing.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I've got access to the beta and here are few takeaways:
-Website looks very similar to the PS5 app (Netflix looking interface)
-After testing multiple shows, the HTML5 player seems to be an improvement
-Accessing your anime has a drop down menu with catagories. "New" link is essentially the "Updated" shows
-Switching from sub to dub is easier
-Search function has seemingly improved, you can actually find an anime by typing in their romanized Japanese title
-Most notable feature is the Crunchylist which you can customize (name, etc.) and manually sort queued shows
-Still no direct forum tab at the top, forum link is still at the bottom Sad
-Only the main page and show pages have been updated at this time. The other links are still the old versions (work in progress I'm guessing)
-News section on the main page looks a little cleaner but going to the main news page still brings you to the old version
-Old version allows you to customize your profile page where this beta seemingly have removed some customization (it's possible that they may or may not add customization)

It's not exactly a mind blowing game changing update/improvement but after so many years of requesting a site update/overhaul I'll take this nice change. Overall beta is pretty promising (so far).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2