• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pacific Rim: The Black Season 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
It was great to see/hear that the soundtrack of The Black had "elements" from the original Pacific Rim theme.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Since this sounds like it was not a complete boondoggle effort, and I loved the original movie, I might just have to give this one a shot.
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
hereby its two pilots have to mind-meld in order to effectively wield the Jaegers' destructive capabilities against the Kaiju. As an actual means of piloting a giant robot, Drifting is almost comically problematic,

I kind of liked how Uprising lowkey acknowledged the impracticalness of the twin mindmeld mechanic and the live-manning of the Jaegers, via its subplot of the Chinese tech CEO who wanted to replace the current Jaegers with her company's own versions which (iirc) only needed one pilot and could be remote controlled from home base.

And she'd have succeeded too, were it not for that brainwashed assistant of hers.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:18 am Reply with quote
I think the review was pretty spot on, though I'd probably grade the show overall closer to a B-. I could have used a little more monster punching, the bad guy is kind of meh, but I liked expanding the universe. I'd definitely give a second season a chance.

I'm usually ok with Polygon's efforts, I enjoyed Knights of Sidonia and Blame!. However, I think the Tsutomu Nihei animes work because of the background art and mechs/cyborg stuff. This show doesn't feel like it has the same budget and the chopiness of some of the character movements isn't balanced out by the other visuals for me like in the other shows/movies. Well at least there isn't some naked play-doh guy doing backflips like in that putrid GITS SAC 2045 netflix anime.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:37 am Reply with quote
I don't know if this is the Australian in me, but while i enjoyed the show, the way it treated my country kind of irked me.

Lets talk about Australia a little bit. We do indeed have deserts and rocky areas. But NOTHING like what is shown in the series here, with giant cliffs over deserts and deep gorges. And where we DO have environments that are even close to this is in the center and far north of Australia. So even at the speed of a Jaeger (which isn't exactly fast), walking to Sydney is something like walking from the bottom parts of Canada down to northern Florida. But they talk about Sydney like its not far away and they'll be back soon. There are also several major cities in between, so now you're doing that trip to Florida to get to a big city but skipping Chicago, Washington, New York etc etc a long the way.
Oh I forgot, Australia has been devastated and abandoned. yay.

Then, as I can tell, the show only has one Australian cast member, and he isn't the leader guy, its just one of the thugs. The leaders accent sounds like someone trying to do Australian, and just grated my ears.
Still, as we know there are almost no Australian actors in America so.... oh wait no there's a tonne of them. So no excuses there.
And why is Australia now populated by mainly Americans? When it was just the Jaeger family I was a bit annoyed but I got it; American show, American heroes. Whatever. But 9 out of 10 people are American in this series! Did we all abandon the country or something?

And then there's the final insult; The American scientist guy who works with the raiders you uses "Australian slang." And by Australian slang I mean something poor Australians over the age of 50 about 20 years ago, and thus maybe 80-100 years ago by the time of the series. NO ONE TALKS LIKE THIS!

Is it really so hard for an Australian product to not be about Dangerous animals or destroying the country?

Sorry... personal rant. Im better now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1