• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer Confirmed as #1 Film in America This Past Weekend

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Provides more incentive for companies to move canon content to movies, will more shonen jump series follow...

Don't think the ps store version had an effect, if if, as some mentioned it was on other sites (available to people WW), it doesnt suggest enough people in US forwent going to the theaters to see it instead of on their pcs.

Performed just as well as MK which is, also available on HBO max and theaters at the same time.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations are in order. Well done. Also I think that the header image for Demon Slayer on ANN just might be the image I associate with ANN from now on since it never changes.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:55 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
I think that the header image for Demon Slayer on ANN just might be the image I associate with ANN from now on since it never changes.

Don't get used to it, this anime is but another fad. Demon Slayer will be overtaken by the next big thing in the years ahead, just as it overtook Attack on Titan.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Still, I am surprised that this movie is so successful in the U.S., despite being a movie based on a manga that, while popular in the U.S., does not have the same level of popularity as stuff like Dragon Ball, Naruto or Sailor Moon. Is the movie so good on its own merits?
SakuraShimizu

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
I think that the header image for Demon Slayer on ANN just might be the image I associate with ANN from now on since it never changes.

Don't get used to it, this anime is but another fad. Demon Slayer will be overtaken by the next big thing in the years ahead, just as it overtook Attack on Titan.

Yes, but I don't think that Attack on Titan did this well. It's really not a fair comparison at this point.
baticeer

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Still, I am surprised that this movie is so successful in the U.S., despite being a movie based on a manga that, while popular in the U.S., does not have the same level of popularity as stuff like Dragon Ball, Naruto or Sailor Moon. Is the movie so good on its own merits?

Well there's a difference between "recognizable to the general public" and "currently popular for people to be watching right now". There are probably more random people on the street who have heard of Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball, but Demon Slayer has been pretty consistently coming up second under My Hero Academia for the best-selling manga in the US, over the past half year or so. IDK about anime rankings, but if popularity of the manga is correlated with that of the anime, I would guess that it has more current, active fans than something like Sailor Moon.

I'm curious about the "movie on its own merits" thing, too, though. Since I'm not a Demon Slayer watcher, can anyone tell me, is this movie a standalone story that can work for people who've never seen the anime before, or is something where you'd be unable to follow the plot if you're not already a fan?
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:21 pm Reply with quote
SakuraShimizu wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:
ZelosZoidberg wrote:

Yes, but I don't think that Attack on Titan did this well. It's really not a fair comparison at this point.

Plus Attack has not actually had a movie like this in theaters so its unclear if it would have been successful or not.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:04 pm Reply with quote
baticeer wrote:

I'm curious about the "movie on its own merits" thing, too, though. Since I'm not a Demon Slayer watcher, can anyone tell me, is this movie a standalone story that can work for people who've never seen the anime before, or is something where you'd be unable to follow the plot if you're not already a fan?

I'm not a manga reader but the movie seems like it is the full Mugen Train arc. I'd say you'd have to a least watch the last 4 eps of the first series to get what's happening and why, but that'd leave in the dark about pretty much all character development in the movie.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I’m going to presume the Netflix release gave this series a boost wouldn’t have had otherwise.

That and being one of the only big releases that isn’t available on HBO MAX.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote
SakuraShimizu wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:

Yes, but I don't think that Attack on Titan did this well.

It didn't. Nothing has, ever. In 2020, a single Demon Slayer volume sold 4.4 million copies. That's more than twice as much as any Attack on Titan volume has sold in a single year. It's more popular than One Piece ever was, even ten years ago at its peak.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:32 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
SakuraShimizu wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:

Yes, but I don't think that Attack on Titan did this well.

It didn't. Nothing has, ever. In 2020, a single Demon Slayer volume sold 4.4 million copies. That's more than twice as much as any Attack on Titan volume has sold in a single year. It's more popular than One Piece ever was, even ten years ago at its peak.
I did sort of chuckle with the fad comment.

Anyways, it was a great movie. I'm a bit bias because I really like demon slayer, but if you are a fan you just cant have enough. My only complaint is I dont want to wait as long next time.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:19 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
ZelosZoidberg wrote:

Feels like being a contrarian for the sake of it. Because no way could anyone be so out of touch with reality, to compare AOT (or anything really, which is the whole point) with Demon Slayer's current popularity.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:46 am Reply with quote
A battle of who dropped least

Quote:
What’s upsetting about this weekend is how these two movies, Mortal Kombat and Demon Slayer, which had very notable openings and further revived the domestic B.O. last weekend, dropped precipitously this weekend, respectively at -73% and -70%.

Essentially, what’s going on here is that there were two movies catering to niche audiences that overperformed last weekend. However, they had limited wide appeal. Both overindexed last weekend because of pent-up demand, as people sought to get out of the house after 13 months of largely lockdown, with both pics’ core audiences seeing them, hence the second weekend drops.

In regards to Mortal Kombat, movies based on hardcore videogames (not Sonic), have a tendency to plummet in weekend 2, i.e. Doom (-73%), 2001’s Tomb Raider (-59%). By comparison, New Line’s 1995 version of Mortal Kombat, which was rated PG-13, declined 56% in its second weekend, with $10.3M at 2,628 theaters.

As far as Mortal Kombat goes, I do believe that the whole simultaneous HBO Max of it all is a leg-killer for their titles at the box office. Why see the movie a second time in the theater when you can see it at home for free?

We always knew Funimation/Aniplex’s Demon Slayer as an anime feature would be front-loaded, which is the B.O. nature of those pics. The distrib’s Dragon Ball Super: Broly in the second weekend following its MLK opening fell 69%. After a $22.3M 6-day opening, that movie stopped its domestic gross at $30.7M. Short runway there.

Both films fell well below our model’s predictions, and their declines are the steepest for wide releases since theaters started reopening. The last film to fall more was The Photograph, which plummeted 77% the weekend after Valentine’s Day last year at a time when the market was already contracting as the extent of the pandemic was becoming apparent. The last film that’s really comparable to these two that fell as much was Dark Phoenix, which fell 72% in its second weekend back in June, 2019.

Given that we aren’t experiencing any significant reversals in COVID-19 infection rates here in the US and Canada, the decline this weekend probably can’t be directly attributed to the state of the pandemic. The awful situation in India might be playing a part by reminding people how things can get is the disease spreads out of control, but a bigger factor is almost certainly that these two films brought out a very enthusiastic core fanbase on opening weekend and haven’t significantly lured in a wider audience this time around.
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:51 am Reply with quote
I really want to get into this series. What makes it so special?

I watched the first couple episodes with my brother a few months ago and thought the plot seemed a little "regurgitated"? The character designs and production quality are great though!
matt78

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:46 am Reply with quote
TheRahi00 wrote:
Feels like being a contrarian for the sake of it. Because no way could anyone be so out of touch with reality, to compare AOT (or anything really, which is the whole point) with Demon Slayer's current popularity.

I don't think he is being a contrarian. To me its about how long it can hold its popularity. If its popularity fizzes out after 2 or 3 years I think it would be fair to consider it a fad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2