• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kazusa Inaoka's i tell c Manga Ends in Shonen Jump

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:26 am Reply with quote
Surprising no one.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, unsurprising. I'm honestly surprised it didn't happen earlier.

Edit: Just finished reading it (I've been meaning to read it for a while but got lazy) and the cancellation really makes me sad. It finally seemed to be getting good but we'll never see more of it. Well, it wrapped up decently well for an axed series aside from the giant plot point left hanging (though I'd prefer that than a shoehorned conclusion)

Last edited by MagicPolly on Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:17 am Reply with quote
Well, at least it went out on a high note with the mAR arc.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:17 am Reply with quote
Boring series dies because it's Boring
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Yaaaaaay!!!!!!
Saiphaz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Not my choice for axing (That would be Witch Watch), but I can understand why it flopped. It couldn't compromise with what it actually wanted to do and what SJ expects from their manga.

Always felt like the mangaka wanted to portray the girl as way more unhinged than what she actually was in the manga.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I thought the premise was interesting, so I really hoped it'd develop further and be good.
It turns out the chapters only just become weirder as the series goes.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:55 pm Reply with quote
That's a bit of a shame. It did have some good potential. But that's how it goes. Some stories get a very long rope to work with and others...not so much.

Also kind of agree that I would have let Witch Watch end before this. But, I get it.
Naotomato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
Boring series dies because it's Boring

Series dies because it's in Jump and doesn't get lucky or caters to the masses. Ftfy
Suxinn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:23 am Reply with quote
Kind of fell off this series after the first two chapters, and I guess from the sounds of it, it wasn't that good. Shame since the premise seemed somewhat fresh at least, for Jump.

Also, Witch Watch is by Shinohara Kenta who's already done two hits for Jump. I'm betting the editors are giving him a bit more time to try and turn it around instead of jumping right to the axe like they would with a newbie. (And while it's not doing so hot in the rankings, I've heard its volume sales were actually pretty good. Shinohara does have a following after all.)
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:

Also, Witch Watch is by Shinohara Kenta who's already done two hits for Jump. I'm betting the editors are giving him a bit more time to try and turn it around instead of jumping right to the axe like they would with a newbie

Doesn't seem like there's anything to turn around, honestly. Volume 1 sold really well this month, enough that it got immediate reprints to keep up with demand. That's typically a very good sign for any series. It even outsold the newest volume of Sakamoto Days, which was already doing great and growing fast for a new series.

With i tell c, on the other hand, the writing was very much on the wall. It almost immediately started sitting at the very back of the magazine, only trading places every now and again with the also cancelled Hard-Boiled Cop & Dolphin and Nine Dragons' Ball Parade. Then its Volume 1 sales managed to be worse than several series that had already been axed, so it was only a matter of whether Editorial would end it now or end NDBP first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1