• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cover Corp. Announces Termination of VTuber Uruha Rushia's Contract

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:08 am Reply with quote
This reeks of a corporation victim blaming and cutting ties with someone not for the stated reasons, but because they didn't want to deal with the mess brought on by purity fanatics. Glad to see that ALL aspects of Japanese Idol Culture were absorbed into Vtubers, from the obsessive fans to the vile management. Rolling Eyes
olgita

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:17 am Reply with quote
From what I've read, it has nothing to do with mafumafu "scandal", but with leaking personal messages between Rushia and managers at Cover to famous streamer. I don't know if it's all true, but I think it is worth mentioning.
Aleister22

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:03 am Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
This reeks of a corporation victim blaming and cutting ties with someone not for the stated reasons, but because they didn't want to deal with the mess brought on by purity fanatics. Glad to see that ALL aspects of Japanese Idol Culture were absorbed into Vtubers, from the obsessive fans to the vile management. Rolling Eyes

Terrible take. Rushia was their biggest earner, if they wanted to get rid of her they would have negotiated a graduation after Holofes and let her rake in the cash for them during a one month victory lap. The fact that they decided to fire their biggest cash cow and people like Fubuki barely have a reaction goes to show she simply screwed up.

They also did whatever they could to keep Coco and gave her a great send off, and Coco convinced Marine and Hachama to keep streaming. So yeah, management bad I guess.
Ryw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:24 am Reply with quote
Aleister22 wrote:
Terrible take. Rushia was their biggest earner, if they wanted to get rid of her they would have negotiated a graduation after Holofes and let her rake in the cash for them during a one month victory lap. The fact that they decided to fire their biggest cash cow and people like Fubuki barely have a reaction goes to show she simply screwed up.

They also did whatever they could to keep Coco and gave her a great send off, and Coco convinced Marine and Hachama to keep streaming. So yeah, management bad I guess.
Agree 100%. If this at all involved the other incident, why release the other statement or even let her return to streaming before going this route?

I'm sure we'll find out the details at some point in the future, but it might be in the person formally known as Rushia's best legal interest to not be the one to leak it.
Rogural

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:52 am Reply with quote
olgita wrote:
From what I've read, it has nothing to do with mafumafu "scandal", but with leaking personal messages between Rushia and managers at Cover to famous streamer. I don't know if it's all true, but I think it is worth mentioning.

That very much seems to be the case, the other streamer has published messages that they're being pretty harassed by Westerners over the whole thing.
Red_0.1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:00 am Reply with quote
Rushia kinda fucked up big time by talking with Japanese Keemstar
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:28 am Reply with quote
This situation ended much worse than it should have. Rushia should not have talked to Korekore. I understand why she did it, but putting your career in the hands of a third-party journalist is never a good idea if you aren't willing to accept everything going public and the consequences of it. Unfortunately in Rushia's case, the consequences was absolute termination.

I was a huge fan of Rushia and am sad this happened. The worst part is she won't even get a graduation for people to say goodbye and have a bittersweet sendoff. She'll be completely unpersoned and erased.
Saskatoonshred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:56 am Reply with quote
Vtubers are just not a thing I'm remotely interested in but the drama that comes out of that world is always super fascinating.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:06 am Reply with quote
So Vtuber business is the same ol' showbizness - congrats we're all just groupies
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:45 am Reply with quote
It's hard to know how to react. We don’t know what details are for sure, but deleting a big channel that is the top earner is a big reaction, and I don't think Cover would go so far over something it didn't consider serious. They rode it out with Coco, and Haachama is still there, so I don't think a little slip or "mistake" that gets an overblown reaction gets a talent fired. Heck, some of them kept up activity as other personas where it is obvious who they are, and risking "the immersion" and Cover did not react at all.

The size of her channel and being the biggest eaner also can't be overlooked because Cover would be financially impacted by this, and yet the decision was a hard cutoff.

On the other hand, regardless of how it happened, it's hard on everyone, Rushia, fans, the other talent, to have it end this way.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:15 am Reply with quote
Best I can say is F.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:38 am Reply with quote
Terrible news. I’ll miss Rushia. She’s one of the first vtubers I discovered. I hope she’s doing okay. I know she hasn’t been in a great place mentally with everything that’s going on.
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:41 am Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:

Yea this just feels odd.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:06 am Reply with quote
I actually saw the video, last week, from the person that Rushia talked too and what he said was nothing bad at all. Rushia even told him not to mention the info but he did anyway, just simply trying to defend herself, but what was said was not awful. If this is the only info they are running off of and their is nothing else then this is just corporate bullshit; not knowing how to deal with the issue and figured this was the best way to deal with the problem.
If this was the majority of the info from the false relationship to then the defending herself, then the way Cover handled this was horrible. Bad management.
borderparasol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:12 am Reply with quote
Considering that Rushia had a Nendoroid and a Figma in production, goods still being sold, and other opportunities on the horizon (most notably Holofes), I doubt this is as simple as the evil company throwing the talent under the bus. Rushia definitely screwed up somewhere in the pipeline if Cover's response to a huge moneymaker is termination.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5