• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love After World Domination

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:28 am Reply with quote
I have only watched the first episode so far, but it is off to a good start. It tends to take a few episodes for me to warm up to a comedy and its particular delivery, so the fact that I was enjoying the first episode already is a positive sign.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:51 am Reply with quote
Dude, I felt the same as I was reading the manga and the anime captures everything with perfection. I'm always worried about how well a fav manga will be animated; and this one was no exception. Worries no more! Every episode has been so well done be it the direction, the timing, the sound effects and the model-work, I sit back and watch with glee. I'm so looking forward to their further blushing adventures it's a major highlight of the week.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:55 am Reply with quote
I feel like this show is firing on all cylinders...the animation is fairly solid (and even quite dynamic for action sequences), the leads and their relationship is extremely cute and likeable, the fanservice is top-tier, the supporting cast is so far shaping up to be pretty entertaining, the comedy is on-point, the voice cast is A-list, and it's so genuine in how much of a sendup of tokusatsu it is while at the same time really nailing the romcom element.

It feels like Boarding School Juliet (a series I absolutely adored) if it were a tokusatsu show, and I love it.
thadec

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:32 am Reply with quote
I only have a couple of quibbles. Positive first: I do like that we finally get a male lead character who is assertive and takes the initiative on romantic matters. After a decade of shonen being dominated by shonen protagonists that are either dense, otaku self-inserts or perverts (though the latter was mostly the prior decade) that require the female(s) to drag them kicking and screaming into relationships it is great to see a normal guy just walk up to a girl and ask her out on a date. That previously he actually was a typical dense shonen lead who had no interests or life outside of his job and became enamored with the female lead spoiler[by reading her social media posts in order to obtain information that would be useful for fighting her] actually makes it more awesome.

Now for the quibbles. While I did like seeing a male protagonist in a shonen demo show take the romantic lead for once, I am disappointed that the female lead is a typical blushing passive girlie girl in response. Not for feminism's sake - as I am not a feminist anyway - but because her character is the #1 warrior for an evil organization. Consider Naruto and Bleach: Momo, Orihime and Hinata were the "passive shy" girls and generally weren't particularly effective fighters. The women with the more aggressive personalities - Sakura, Tsunade, Yoriuchi - were the best fighters. Why couldn't Desumi have a more assertive personality akin to Juliet Persia of Boarding School Juliet? It should have been possible to pull that off while still allowing Desumi to retain her social awkwardness and self-esteem issues.

Second quibble: the show to this point has been nearly a laser focus on Desumi and Fudo. We haven't gotten practically any information on the larger world that they live in. Yes, I know that this is a tokusatsu (specifically sentai) show setting which should fill in a lot of the blanks and that it is a parody and a romance. So no reason to expect even One Punch Man level worldbuilding, let alone My Hero Academia. It is just that 3 episodes in, the only things that we know are the very basics about Fudo's and Desumi's personalities, that they like each other, and that (similar to MHA, OPM, Tiger & Bunny etc) superhero work is apparently commercialized. We even know more about the evil organization at this point than the hero one. It just seems as if they still have a ton of ground to cover and only 9 episodes left to do it with.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:38 pm Reply with quote
So far the show has been great. I was surprised to see that Fudo (and the other team members) didn't have secret identities, but I guess that helps force the two to stay apart in public too.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely loving this series so far Smile
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I like to think that LAWD is Ms. Kuroitsu Season 2 from a paralel universe.

So while I like to know something more about the Gelato Force or Gekko, I am glad with those two lovable fools who don't know how to date. A refreshing touch that at least two animes the season start with the protagonists already dating, too.
michizure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:37 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
I like to think that LAWD is Ms. Kuroitsu Season 2 from a paralel universe.

Given how broad the sweep is in Kuroitsu-san, it could be a slightly different corner of the same universe and we'd never know. I will admit to watching the theme park scenes very carefully, to see if Cannon or any of the others went by in the background.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:53 am Reply with quote
Haru reminds me a lot of Hasuki from Boarding School Juliet, and just like Hasuki she's this cute, kind, and loving girl deeply in love with the male lead...only to get heartbroken when he falls in love with someone else. But unlike with Hasuki, Haru actually looks up to Desumi because of their past together and wants them both to be happy, even if it means she loses. She turned out to be a really endearing and likeable character.

High school girl Desumi! And unlike the Gelato 5, Desumi seems to be keeping her identity a secret from her schoolmates. It's not like they treat Gekko like actual criminals, so I have to imagine it's just for "mystique" purposes.

I appreciate that Desumi realized that Fudo would never cheat on her but that she's still jealous because she hates seeing him with another woman. She's not physically weaker at all (and she's even stronger when she's mad) but she's much more emotionally vulnerable now that she's dating Fudo.

I love how on-point the action animation is on this show despite it ostenibly being a parody romcom. And the fight between Reaper Princess and Pink Gelato fades away into the girls bonding over their feelings and hugging while crying. Gotta love it! Now Desumi just has to work to make sure there's never a chance for Haru to steal Fudo away...

How many times is poor Culverin Bear going to get beat up?
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Don't know why, but I got the impression that Desumi was older before learning she was in HS
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:32 pm Reply with quote
So in Episode 5, my first thought when Desumi asked what Fudo wanted to change in her was: "Well, you could give up being on the villain side..."
But the villains even sent Fudo get well soon flowers, and they seem so nice that I can't help but understand why she stays.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:52 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
So in Episode 5, my first thought when Desumi asked what Fudo wanted to change in her was: "Well, you could give up being on the villain side..."
But the villains even sent Fudo get well soon flowers, and they seem so nice that I can't help but understand why she stays.

I think it never comes up because they are trying to avoid a scandal and switching sides would almost certainly result in them being found out.
Generations

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:19 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:

Actually, seeing how their boss acts, how they treat their employees, how they treat their enemies (with the get-well-kinda card), and how they reward deserving employees.... I'd give up my current job in a heartbeat if it means working for an organization like this. I'd probably get better healthcare coverage too.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:48 am Reply with quote
I just started watching the first episode last friday when Crunchyroll added the Neutral Spanish dub and I have to say that the comedy was pretty good. I always wanted to see a Super Sentai anime, don't care if this it's just a parody
Also, I was wondering if some voice actors who worked on the Spanish dubs for Power Rangers would appear and to my surprise there were. Ironically, Desumi's actress voiced the Pink Ranger in Samurai while Fudo's voice actor voiced one of the main villains in Dino Charge. Green Gelato's actor voiced Leo in Lost Galaxy, Culverin Bear is voiced by Bulk, the Gelato's morpher has Zordon's voice and the narrator is Adam from the original MMPR.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The fun irony of him thanking his mother for bringing him into the world at a time when he's able to meet Desumi versus his mother almost ruining his chances later in the episode was a great touch too.

And the cherry on top was that mom knew she was interrupting! I wonder if she also has any idea that Desumi is the Reaper Princess? Smile Mom's a hoot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4