• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: SPY×FAMILY GN 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andramus

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I've been seeing people who have been getting into this series through the anime speculate about the plot progression and as a manga reader I sometimes want to tell them to temper their expectations.

At the rate the overarching story has progressed in the manga so far I think we might be looking at a Detective Conan situation. I dipped my toe into that series a few years ago but after realizing that the central conflict had barely progressed in 20 years with close to 1000 episodes and characters remaining perpetually the same I ended up tapping out.

I actually think it would be interesting to see Anya get older as the series progresses but I suspect that will never happen because to most people she would become a less entertaining character as she ages.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:39 pm Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
I've been seeing people who have been getting into this series through the anime speculate about the plot progression and as a manga reader I sometimes want to tell them to temper their expectations.

At the rate the overarching story has progressed in the manga so far I think we might be looking at a Detective Conan situation. I dipped my toe into that series a few years ago but after realizing that the central conflict had barely progressed in 20 years with close to 1000 episodes and characters remaining perpetually the same I ended up tapping out.

I actually think it would be interesting to see Anya get older as the series progresses but I suspect that will never happen because to most people she would become a less entertaining character as she ages.

This is my biggest concern in the long term. That the author might refrain from doing anything to upset the current status quo that is clearly working very well.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Considering detective conan has under gone a lead character shift, I would hardly say it has not advanced In 20 years. That's like saying one piece has not advanced In 20 years which I would also say is not true.

I am fine with long form slow build story telling, as long as there is some pay off to it.

Spy x family is first and foremost a found family domestic comedy, detective conan is a murder mystery, and one piece is an episodic action series. It is fine for these to have slow moving over arching background/framing plots.

Yes I am speaking as someone who isn't caught up on spy x family but I do think it is fair for the series to take its time with properly introducing its world and charcters, so long as it is doing that in an entertaining manner.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I do wonder how hard it's explosive popularity will die down once it's apparent the series is more episodic. It's arguable, but I'm also in the camp where very early on I didn't expect this to be a immediate plot beat by plot beat story and as is I'm fine with it taking it slow to have some fun with it's characters. The spoiler[Arc with Yor on a boat doesn't technically speaking advance the stryx plot but it was still fun and gave Yor some much needed focus] I'm doubtful if this is going to be as long as either DC or OP, but I'm sure it'll be like this for a while, all the while hitting certain plot beats.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I do wonder how hard it's explosive popularity will die down once it's apparent the series is more episodic. It's arguable, but I'm also in the camp where very early on I didn't expect this to be a immediate plot beat by plot beat story and as is I'm fine with it taking it slow to have some fun with it's characters.

Since every new volume out-sells the previous one (both in Japan and outside) and before the anime, I am not seeing the series dying down. I mean, we're in volume 7, readers should be know by now that the series is episodic.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:13 am Reply with quote
I feel like once sales start declining (because they will, let's be fair, its how these things work) is when the plot will probably be moving forward more.

Serialized plot is what keeps readers coming back after all. That said, the episodic nature of the series makes it really accessible, which contributes to its popularity.

Sure, there is an ongoing plot and occasionally that's the focus, but this is still a slice of life comedy at the end of the day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1