• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Swordsmith Village Arc's 1st Episode Theatrical Screenings Earn 1.15 Billion Yen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex milking the series to no end, and it's working. I have a feeling theatrical recap releases will be the norm for every season now.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:45 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Aniplex milking the series to no end, and it's working. I have a feeling theatrical recap releases will be the norm for every season now.

But this is not just a recap movie; it also includes the first episode of the new season. People would not be spending this much money if it did not include new material.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:

But this is not just a recap movie; it also includes the first episode of the new season. People would not be spending this much money if it did not include new material.

It's still about 70% of old content and 30% of new content. You can still practically consider it a recap movie.
RandomCommenter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:30 am Reply with quote
Advanced screenings are nothing new, nor are recap films, but very few of them have ever gone wide, and even less have made the money to warrant doing so to begin with. Most of them play very limited, and in particular advanced screenings are usually only given a show a day in busy theaters in very urban areas. This is of course an opening record for this sort of film, and it will no doubt also set a lifetime earnings record for the kind of operation this is.

One has to wonder if similarly to how Mugen Train kickstarted a push for theatrical shonen follow-up, committees will look to this as a way to increase revenue from their popular series, or if this will be deemed simply too much for series that can't compete with the absurd audience of DS (is there even enough interest to invest in having them play wide to begin with?).

Either way, the fact that the season will likely be in the green before it even starts airing is certainly amusing, and I don't see this being the series' last "recap/advanced screening" film given the success.
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:51 am Reply with quote
Wonder if this will become more of a thing in general? It feels like a rather straightforward way for any popular TV show to make a bit of extra money -- fans get to enjoy a recap of the last season on the big screen, and even watch the first ep or two of the upcoming season in advance. It's not for me, but I can see that being fun for those who are really excited to see what happens next for their favorite series.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:54 am Reply with quote
Cho_Desu wrote:
Wonder if this will become more of a thing in general? It feels like a rather straightforward way for any popular TV show to make a bit of extra money -- fans get to enjoy a recap of the last season on the big screen, and even watch the first ep or two of the upcoming season in advance.
I mean compilation films have been going on in Japan since like the 70s with the Gundam movies and Galaxy Express 999, the Gunbuster movie in the 80s, Evangelion Death and Rebirth in the 90s, and in the 2010s we had the Madoka Magica movies and Code Geass had compilation films too. So this isn't really a sudden new trend for anime movies.
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:44 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I mean compilation films have been going on in Japan since like the 70s with the Gundam movies and Galaxy Express 999, the Gunbuster movie in the 80s, Evangelion Death and Rebirth in the 90s, and in the 2010s we had the Madoka Magica movies and Code Geass had compilation films too. So this isn't really a sudden new trend for anime movies.

Yeah, but specifically with the lure of a new episode for an upcoming season -- that's not something I've heard of as much. I imagine this Demon Slayer showing wouldn't have been as big of a deal if it were only a recap.

Tangent: I'm wondering if there are any instances of series that fans feel were actually improved in any of those compilation films of yesteryear. I'd like to imagine there are some stories out there that could benefit from a film's snappier pacing? Then again, it's only series that were well-liked in the first place that got such movies...
RandomCommenter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:50 am Reply with quote
Cho_Desu wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Yeah, but specifically with the lure of a new episode for an upcoming season -- that's not something I've heard of as much. I imagine this Demon Slayer showing wouldn't have been as big of a deal if it were only a recap.

Tangent: I'm wondering if there are any instances of series that fans feel were actually improved in any of those compilation films of yesteryear. I'd like to imagine there are some stories out there that could benefit from a film's snappier pacing? Then again, it's only series that were well-liked in the first place that got such movies...

Advanced ep 1 screenings are done quite often. They usually only get a few runs in big urban theaters though.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:53 am Reply with quote
Cho_Desu wrote:
I'm wondering if there are any instances of series that fans feel were actually improved in any of those compilation films of yesteryear. I'd like to imagine there are some stories out there that could benefit from a film's snappier pacing? Then again, it's only series that were well-liked in the first place that got such movies...

There is indeed a very famous case with the 3 compilations films of the original Mobile Suit Gundam. The series was not popular, and those 3 movies are highly reagarded by fans and credited for making Gundam popular in Japan.

Those 3 movies are streaming in U.S. Netflix if anyone is interested.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Heck, if it was available in my country in the theater, I'd go see it. I know there are a fair amount of folks who question why DS is as popular as it is, but I truly enjoy the heck out of this show. The fandom for this one isn't waning over time. It's guaranteed money, so why not?
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:19 am Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Cho_Desu wrote:
I'm wondering if there are any instances of series that fans feel were actually improved in any of those compilation films of yesteryear. I'd like to imagine there are some stories out there that could benefit from a film's snappier pacing? Then again, it's only series that were well-liked in the first place that got such movies...

There is indeed a very famous case with the 3 compilations films of the original Mobile Suit Gundam. The series was not popular, and those 3 movies are highly reagarded by fans and credited for making Gundam popular in Japan.

Those 3 movies are streaming in U.S. Netflix if anyone is interested.

That's great to hear actually; I'll add those to my To Watch list. The Gundam franchise has long been an anime blind spot for me, and a few movies sounds a lot more approachable for a starting point to try it out. (The buzz around the latest series has re-piqued my curiosity.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1