• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual to Offer Freedom on BD Worldwide in Fall

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:02 am Reply with quote
Too bad the same price as Japan, like the rest of BV's stuff, means grossly overpriced and not at all worth paying for.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:09 am Reply with quote
FINALLY ! i did not buy the HD DVD-DVD combo because i was holding out for the BD release !

Please BV release more titles with this scheme. If only they did the same with Macross Zero & F Crying or Very sad
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:40 am Reply with quote
I've got to be curious now if my post on aod had something to do with this article being written... Smile

Also, I'm still not convinced this should be construed as an announcement of Freedom on blu-ray, as the article simply says "-nado" which is used in listing representative examples... i.e. things "like" freedom will be released in this way. It doesn't mean that freedom will definitely be released that way (although it probably does).

You might want to double check with BV directly on that.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote
Bandai Visual: Bringing the art of screwing the customer to a global audience, perfecting it in the process.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
To all the "we hate BV" people, did you notice the little bit in the article about internet distribution as well? It's not ONLY blu-ray, but also probably some kind of streaming they are planning, which will be a low cost way for people around the world to at least see the shows legally.

The ANN article didn't highlight it but the original japanese article specifically says worldwide distribution by blu-ray AND the internet. Which I think is a good start. Maybe if they get a huge number of people watching the shows using their streaming/downloading service (whatever it will be), they might realize the larger sales potential for their blu-rays if they lowered the price.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:23 am Reply with quote
Lower their price? AHAHAHAH no. Japanese don't work that way, especially for anime. They overcharge ridiculously there because they know the idiot otaku WILL pay for it and not complain at all. Huge differences in culture as far as economics is concerned, we simply say no way in hell are those shows worth that price. Gunbuster was amazing, but I'm sure not going to drop 80 dollars on it (boohoo internet sales, 50 is still damned expensive). Bandai Visual doesn't need to license in the united states, so they don't need to recoup for the losses, the 10 sales they get for a series just about pays for bringing it over.

So yes, it is easy to hate them. No one except a complete fool wants to pay Japanese prices for anime. Unless you're so damned wapanese that you wanted to be more like a Japanese and happily pay the 200% more. Bandai Visual can up and die.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quote
Sweet, I've been holding off getting the show since Blue-Ray won. Yet another reason to upgrade.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
So yes, it is easy to hate them. No one except a complete fool wants to pay Japanese prices for anime. Unless you're so damned wapanese that you wanted to be more like a Japanese and happily pay the 200% more. Bandai Visual can up and die.

You know what's even easier, not taking whining opinions seriously. Rolling Eyes Especially when you're using words like "wapanese" during your bitching.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quote
Global distribution for Freedom? Sounds like good news to me. Now I'm a little closer to buying a PS3...

Majin Tenshi wrote:
If only they did the same with Macross Zero & F

Be still, my beating heart...

Seriously, that would be sweet.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Gunbuster was amazing, but I'm sure not going to drop 80 dollars on it (boohoo internet sales, 50 is still damned expensive).

Boohoo so you steal it instead, and pay nothing to the original creators. Superb. I bought Gunbuster blind, myself. And Diebuster.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
Heh... while looking at sales over the weekend, I saw that HD DVDs were outselling BluRay DVDs by a factor of 10 to 1. Some "winning" format that is... And I tried to find some cheap BluRay players - yeah, I found them alright - they are all BROKEN BluRay players that nobody can fix that are for sale. These figures dont equate to a winning format.

I will stick with my HD DVD stuff until someone gives me a free BluRay player.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
I would rather steal it than pay unreasonable prices. Why steal and not give to the original creators? Because I can. When BV gives up the US and someone else releases those shows for a real price I'll buy them.

And as for Blu-Ray players, the only one worth spending money on right now is the PS3. None of the others are as reliable or as cheap.
Son Biggie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:35 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I would rather steal it than pay unreasonable prices. Why steal and not give to the original creators? Because I can. When BV gives up the US and someone else releases those shows for a real price I'll buy them.

And as for Blu-Ray players, the only one worth spending money on right now is the PS3. None of the others are as reliable or as cheap.

so I take it GunBuster wasn't THAT amazing to buy it then..
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
Son Biggie wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

so I take it GunBuster wasn't THAT amazing to buy it then..

No, not for 80 dollars. And The Royal Space especially isn't worth that much, that movie isn't even worth 25. If Gunbuster was 35 dollars, that'd be extremely acceptable given it's only 3 hours of entertainment, and no dub.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Heh... while looking at sales over the weekend, I saw that HD DVDs were outselling BluRay DVDs by a factor of 10 to 1. Some "winning" format that is... And I tried to find some cheap BluRay players - yeah, I found them alright - they are all BROKEN BluRay players that nobody can fix that are for sale. These figures don't equate to a winning format.

I will stick with my HD DVD stuff until someone gives me a free BluRay player.

Well it helps that HD DVDs are discounted tremendously now. I've seen Transformers for $5 at a store. If I cared I probably would have bought it, aswell as the Toshiba Player Walmart had for $40.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
so we may be getting some macross since bandai visual handles the dvd release, they did say other titles and noted worldwide distribution as a goal.
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Sweet, I've been holding off getting the show since Blue-Ray won. Yet another reason to upgrade.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

You know what's even easier, not taking whining opinions seriously. Rolling Eyes Especially when you're using words like "wapanese" during your bitching.

I assumed that was a given.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3