• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood makes plans for Casshern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:04 pm Reply with quote
OH GOD! why must they always do this? wasn't The Ring remake bad enough?

Last edited by v1cious on Tue May 04, 2004 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Why didn't you like The Ring?
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:

i didn't like the remake Ring, cause the acting was lame, and they butchered the story. i hate when hollywood tries to americanize every little thing, leave well enough alone.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue May 04, 2004 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:33 pm Reply with quote
WOOHOO! I can't wait til it comes out here in the US. I LOVED Casshan Robot Hunter growing up. Casshan can kick some major @$$, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:34 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Miagi wrote:

i didn't like the remake Ring, cause the acting lame, and they butchered the story. i hate when hollywood tries to americanize every little thing, leave well enough alone.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the Japanese Director of the original approve of the remake, and is planning to film alot of future horror remakes of his stuff in Hollywood?
KSGuitar

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I agree with releasing the film here in the U.S. in it's original form. They don't need to remake it. There's no way that they could make this film any better and more beautiful than it already is. Just release it to theaters with subtitles.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:15 pm Reply with quote
um.... this casshern movie

It is allready a remake, the anime was based on the original live action movie. ^^ i'm rather up on this series. oh yeah, i think there may of been a novel or two as well.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:16 pm Reply with quote
KSGuitar wrote:
I agree with releasing the film here in the U.S. in it's original form. They don't need to remake it. There's no way that they could make this film any better and more beautiful than it already is. Just release it to theaters with subtitles.

Subtitles turn people off.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm could care less about the idea of an american remake. It makes sense. Americans really don't like subtitles. Take a look at how Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon did in theaters, even with rave reviews. When I went to see it, my friends and I were the only ones in the theater. Americans just don't feel like seeing foriegn films in theaters for some reason. It's sad, but true. I'm just going to be happy with a subtitle dvd release of the original. Another thing is, great movie or not, Americans have been spoiled with American movie special effects, and even though what I've seen of the Casshern movie trailer looks stunning, the... well, I don't know the term for it, but the atmosphere and the special effects don't look like something Americans are really used to.

For those complaining about the Ring remakes, you should just quit whinning. The ORIGINAL Ring story was not exactly what the Japanese movie was like, so if you want the ORIGINAL story, go pick up the book. I like the original movie and remake just fine. Both excelled at things the other couldn't. Anyway, it may make those purist movie fans a bit more happy to know that Nakata Hideo, the director of the Japanese Ring movie, has been added to the creative staff of the English Ring 2 movie, and it's rumored he just may be made to be the new director.
sacchan

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For those complaining about the Ring remakes, you should just quit whinning. The ORIGINAL Ring story was not exactly what the Japanese movie was like, so if you want the ORIGINAL story, go pick up the book.

True. I'm reading the Ring novel right now, and there's a lot of differences. For one, the main character (Matsushima/Watts in the movies) is a guy with wife and one-year-old daughter. The main character's ex-husband in the movies is really a sleazy-but-intelligent ex-classmate interested in supernatural stuff.

I like the movie's characters better.

As for Casshern, I've read reviews, both good and lukewarm, but both say that you're bombarded with so much CG visuals that it really saps your energy just watching it. Is that good or bad?
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Bad

I'll check it out as long as Miramax doesn't get it, unless by some miracle they don't butcher it. Given that the movie is like 2.5 hours, I'm shaking what they'd do to it
king_micah

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:33 am Reply with quote
Now we need the Battle Royale remake. Just need to get all the teenie drama folks together for that one.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:40 am Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
Now we need the Battle Royale remake. Just need to get all the teenie drama folks together for that one.

I want this! I really really do! Damn those school shootings for ever happening and making american entertainment so stinking uptight. I somehow doubt that south american remake will even be able to come close to the original movie. I can't picture them as having a nice big budget, yet alone surpass it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:53 am Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:

now THAT is a remake that would work here. just imagine the casting possibilities.

but then, the vioence factor would be reduced drastically. Sad
spaz05

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:33 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Subtitles turn people off.

Not really. The Passion was entirely in subtitles and look how well it did. It just depends on what the movie is about...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4