• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Durarara!! (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
Or Dullalala!!, if you insist...

The premise looks quite original, which is always good. Even for people who haven't been in Ikebukuro, I think they've managed to create a believable setting, complete with an atmosphere of... wonder, I suppose? (and welcome the newcomers into it - together with the boy who looks to be the protagonist... for now). Seems to be grounded in urban legends plus a distinctly modern feel, which in itself is pretty interesting.

Big cast, like in their other works. It'll take another half a series to stop checking "who was that guy again".

Scores bonus points for references to their other series (I mean, bumping into a Horo cutout? that one looks nice, actually). I'm particularly interested in the supernatural element.

Bottom line: they really don't have any competition this season, do they.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Bottom line: they really don't have any competition this season, do they.

I do not know, Ookamikakushi has not been subbed yet. Overall I love this show already and my first judgement is that I do not trust Masaomi at all. I expect he encouraged Mikado's move for undisclosed, perhaps devious, reasons. Why else would you know the people 'not' to be around? Wink
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
[gg] did that. But I highly doubt it can be better... meh, I'll maybe check it out.

Devious reasons? Hmm. I don't know if they're devious, but I think you may be on to something.
I kind of expect our... protagonist to be a Bad Judge of Character, so when he says that his friend hasn't changed a lot, well - that's a clue Razz Also, the kid who knows everybody around usually has his own problems, so I suppose he could drag his friends along.

I'm dying to hear Irish Japanese.

It would be interesting to hear an opinion of someone who knows the area. Does Ikebukuro really have a reputation like that?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
Well, the peeps behind Durarara!! did a much better job of introducing us to their series than the Dance in the Vampire Bund folks did to theirs. Love the animation and it certainly seems there will be an interesting web of inter-locking characters. I want that Horo/Holo cut-out! This one is a keeper, fer shure. The only thing I didn't like (and I hope it won't be an on-going feature of the show) was spoiler[the parts showing online chatting. Sure it's a handy ( and unimaginative) way to get out expository information, but my god it's boring to watch.]
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
I dislike that "chat" as well. They should pick tips from Shinbo on how to make phone talk interesting. Oh and Holo!!! More plugs like that please!

About the series. To be honest it looks much better than Baccano!. Still, they introduce way too many characters in one episode but story looks interesting to say the least. Dark themes are somewhat refreshing as well, like 'human trafficking' and 'sex slaves'. Then we also have... violence - check, gorgeous background art - check, fluid animation - check, reasons to drop it after first episode - N/A. Looking forward to more.
anthell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I expected nothing less than 15 casts by episode 1 from the maker of baccano!.

For now, it looks like a similar to baccano! as in there will be people doing their own things but somehow it relates to a much bigger plot. They also made is much easier to grasp what exactly we are dealing with by episode 1 by introducing a possible main character.

Its already on my must watch check list but i doubt and seriously doubt that they would be able to pull of a series with jumping back of forth between random characters while still keeping 1 main character. For now, lets just enjoy the ride.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is as good as I expected it to be. I love shows like this that just throw you into the mix without a lifeline. Also I've always loved the character designs in Baccano!, and now Durarara!. If I had to guess, I'd say all the major characters made cameos in this episode, except maybe one (like Vino in Baccano, though he was in the OP).

Speaking of OPs, I really liked this one even though the song itself felt a bit lacking--although at least it wasn't jpop. The ED, though, was brilliant.

I'm not even going to speculate on the plot right now. I'm just going to let it happen and enjoy the ride.

Also did anyone else catch the Baccano! footage playing on the TV in the background just before we saw the Horo cutout? Laughing I wonder if they're going to try to do a homage in every episode.
anthell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also did anyone else catch the Baccano! footage playing on the TV in the background just before we saw the Horo cutout?

yes !! it was when nice looks out of the window and spotted vino
Amitiel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Given that this is by not just the same studio, but the same author as Baccano!, I was largely expecting a series that, whilst the plot will obviously differ, it would have largely a lot of the same qualities. So far, judging from the pace (literally, three minutes away from the end I noticed how long I'd been watching and almost didn't believe it'd been going on for 20 minutes already), characterization and, in fact, the sense of humour, I really don't think I'm going to be disappointed. Provided it doesn't take a nose-dive somewhere along the way, I'd say it has the best potential of everything I've seen so far to be the best of the season.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Um, crunchyroll? You translated the title wrong. It looks as if all the titles of this series will be yojijukugo, or "four character idioms."This makes sense, since according to the official page, Kishitani Shinra is a fan of them. Thus the title shouldn't be "Exit 1," it should be "The First Thing Out of Your Mouth," the meaning of the expression. For a nice list of yojijukugo, check out this page. I thought for sure you guys would catch this one.

Gonna watch the episode now - in HD! It looks neat, this may be worth spending three hours' worth of work to get it in HD without waiting a week.

Edit 1: I posted this at another thread, so I'll do it here. From the Oxford Encyclopedia of Celtic Mythology:
Quote:
dullahan: Headless phantom, on horseback or in horse-drawn coach, in Irish folklore. The dullahan rides a headless horse or may ride in a coach drawn by headless horses. His face is the colour and texture of mouldy cheese; his eyes make a bridge from ear to ear; his huge eyes dart like flies. But the dullahan can put on or take off this hideous head at will, or play ghoulish games with it. His black horse has a head with flaming eyes and short-cropped ears that outdistance its body by six yards or more. His whip will flick out the eyes of those who watch him. Those opening their doors to hear the dullahan rumbling by will have basins of blood thrown in their faces. It is an omen of death to the houses where he passes.

Edit 2: Liked the first episode, but it was very much an introduction episode, and covered the same material I read translated online, so I'm really looking forward to the next episode to make my final judgment. I know some of my enjoyment of this episode was still anticipation of the craziness I KNOW is to come!

I loved the use of Baccano! all over the place. From what I've read on the Japanese Wiki, there are some crossover characters, though not ones we met in the anime. Also, "Benny's" is my new favorite not-quite-the-brand-name. The chat function didn't bother me so much; it is straight from the book, btw. I think I've pieced together who is which screen name from the voice actors, but we'll see. Any guesses on who Dotachin is? (If you actually know, use spoilers, please!)

The production quality overall was high, though the cop-out gray crowds were a bit of a letdown. I didn't like the music to the opening and ending as much as with Baccano!, but the animation was fun, especially for the ending credits. I look forward to getting to know these characters. Very Happy Counting the unnamed girl (and after the credits from Baccano!, we know that ANY character zoomed in on without a name will be VERY important), there were 15. Somewhat fewer than Baccano!'s, which had 18 in its opening credits and I don't recall how many in its closing.

Favorite moment?
spoiler[Girl bumps into Mikado, and Masaomi totally ditches his friend to go for the girl. Heh!]

Last edited by vashfanatic on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I really like this show right now. It has both style and substance, and the creators have managed to make Ikebukuro seem like one of the hippest places ever, even though Ikebukuro is not nearly that exciting in real life. There's definitely a lot of characters introduced, but it wasn't nearly as overwhelming as Baccano was.

I agree about the chat though. Not only was it boring, it was hard to keep track of who was who.
Alestal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, I just saw the first episode and it looks good. I thought the first episode was great, it got a lot accomplished and had nice pacing. I also didn't like the chat and I have no idea who was who.. someone care to explain? There was a girls avatar(she had pigtails) with a guy's voice, wtf.

Rainbow: I also noticed the Baccano footage on that background screen!

Looking forward to more of this show. Smile
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
I also didn't like the chat and I have no idea who was who.. someone care to explain?

"Tanaka Tarou" was obviously Mikado. The others I recognized by their voice actors, I'd have to go back and rewatch it to give you all their names.

I think it's meant to be disorienting and confusing at first... I mean, we all remember what Baccano! was like, I assume.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:

I'm not even going to speculate on the plot right now. I'm just going to let it happen and enjoy the ride.

Yeaaaah.
I'm doing just about that Cool

I need time to recollect what I just watched lol.
Good first episode nonetheless and I can't stop listening to the OP.
Pretty damn catchy.

Can't wait for the next episode & see how this unfolds :]
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The opening and ending are catchy, at least I like the ending song better then Baccano!'s

I liked the fact they took the same style opening deal from Baccano! and used it here. With the characters name's being flashed as they pan though every one.

Over all I enjoyed episode 1, the headless rider is cool and I can't wait to see the story unfold with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 25