• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Maria Holic DVD Complete Collection

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
This was a great review I think.

I haven't finished the series yet (I'm on the last 4 episodes) but some of the weirdness isn't that funny. Like stated the seaweed joke stuff wasn't that funny (at least to me) and some of the odd mis-placed angles and random weirdness.

Though it's Shaft, weird things should be known going in to the show.

Also the ending theme is cute, I agree with that. (I think it was one of the best ending themes of 2009)
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:41 am Reply with quote
Whoever chose the covers for this and Skullman at Sentai needs a serious promotion.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
Opener and closer actually got mentioned in the review, that is rare but they definitely deserve some attention.

Quote:
...that it has to have been one of the most draining vocal performances since Kotono Mitsuishi's Excel from Excel Saga

I'd say Sana from Kodocha was even more draining to perform, she even sings fast.

Quote:
The end makes it clear that there is no intent to animate any further content, either.

spoiler[What about the cliffhanger? (That pendant is...*poof*)]
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
As much as I'm not a fan of sub-only, I'll get this eventually because this is easily one the 5 funniest shows I've ever seen (it's up there with Fumoffu and Punie-chan). I'm really happy to hear there are little spelling errors even though I strongly believe that a professionally done, sub-only set should never have typos.

Also, the opener definitely deserves some notice because it is amazing. I think it's the first time I watched an opener and laughed.

chrisb wrote:
Whoever chose the covers for this and Skullman at Sentai needs a serious promotion.

I'm not feeling this cover. I think it's too bloody (even for this show) and Kanako just sticks out like a sore thumb. The people over at Mania do say it's slightly better in person, though, but still.

Hentai_JP wrote:
Quote:
The end makes it clear that there is no intent to animate any further content, either.

spoiler[What about the cliffhanger? (That pendant is...*poof*)]

I believe that's why there won't be any sequel. spoiler[That's not a cliffhanger like many other shows, that was a well thought out cliffhanger to purposely cliffhang it's viewers]. As soon as a saw it I laughed for a good 2 minutes because it was so perfect and I immediately knew there wouldn't be more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does the whole concept of this show seem really homophobic? Confused
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
Quote:
...that it has to have been one of the most draining vocal performances since Kotono Mitsuishi's Excel from Excel Saga

I'd say Sana from Kodocha was even more draining to perform, she even sings fast.

Except that came before Excel Saga, hence the principle still applies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
As much as I'm not a fan of sub-only, I'll get this eventually because this is easily one the 5 funniest shows I've ever seen (it's up there with Fumoffu and Punie-chan) [...]
I'm not feeling this cover. I think it's too bloody (even for this show) and Kanako just sticks out like a sore thumb. The people over at Mania do say it's slightly better in person, though, but still.

I really want to see this show--I've read some of the manga and it's one of the funniest manga I've read, and from the review it sounds like it sticks pretty close to the source material. As for the cover there seems to be a running gag of Kanako not appearing on the manga cover(I've only read the first two and seen the cover for the third so I don't know how far it's taken), so I'm happy to see she at least gets the DVD cover, even though it's a gross and embarrasing shot.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
I kind of like the cover

then again I'm loving almost every cover Section23 has for their sub only titles /loves the S.A covers

But ya the opening and ending easily rank on my "Shaft's godly opening and closing list" Yes I have a list like that =w= Zan SZS's no man's land opening ranks as number 1 currently .

I kind of wish they would make a season 2, then again it would have to wait till Shaft is done with all their big projects this season and next season.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Is it just me, or does the whole concept of this show seem really homophobic? Confused

It is that very premise where it gets really, REALLY polarizing on fans especially girls' love fans.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
I laughed at the cover. Anime hyper

Anyway, great review. I'll probably pick this up at some point - I've been reading the manga and loving it, so I'm sure I'll love the anime as well.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Huh. I didn't realize this was out already.

Are the TL notes optional, or included in the main sub track?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

I never saw it that way, and I don't much care for homophobia. I saw at as a rather strong satire of assorted yuri shows. Does anyone actually view yuri/yaoi as realistic depictions of lesbian/gay romance? They're generally fetishized depictions made for a mostly straight audience. It's a genre ripe for satire. I enjoyed Maria Holic.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:

It is that very premise where it gets really, REALLY polarizing on fans especially girls' love fans.

Well, I'm gay and I have to say I have mixed feelings on it. I have the DVD set, but I've only watched the first episode thats streaming on Anime Network. There are some things that I find a bit offensive about it, but I try to keep in mind that animation, both Japanese and American, tend to go the extreme when portraying characters, often including sometimes negative and offensive stereotypes.

I'm keeping an open mind on this one, and waiting to watch the entire show before I make a judgement on it. Though, other than a few things I found mildly offensive, I have enjoyed a lot of what I've seen. T he animation, art work, and music are all quite good. I also love Shaft's style, so I'm good there.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:

I never saw it that way, and I don't much care for homophobia. I saw at as a rather strong satire of assorted yuri shows. Does anyone actually view yuri/yaoi as realistic depictions of lesbian/gay romance? They're generally fetishized depictions made for a mostly straight audience. It's a genre ripe for satire. I enjoyed Maria Holic.

The problem is Mariya crosses the line of satire by just going into downright abuse, and Kanako crosses the line of satire by treating same-sex romance like a game. They're both incredibly dislikeable characters, and for that I personally saw no reason to go beyond the first episode.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
The problem is Mariya crosses the line of satire by just going into downright abuse, and Kanako crosses the line of satire by treating same-sex romance like a game. They're both incredibly dislikeable characters, and for that I personally saw no reason to go beyond the first episode.

The whole point of satire is that it is exaggerated. If Kanako followed her lesbian urges in a more realistic manner, it wouldn't be a parody anymore. When you're lampooning something, the more ridiculous and outrageous the portrayal, the better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4