• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sands of Time

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Wait, wait wait wait wait. When you say "Wikipe-tan," does that mean somebody anthropomorphized Wikipedia?! I must know more about this. So is Wikipe-tan true to life and one of those annoying know-it-alls who also gets things wrong once in awhile?
FlyingFox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
First, the fight scenes could be better. For a series with so many fights, none are particularly memorable. The fights are all end quickly without any memorable choreography.

Really? I don't remember there being much action. I do remember the few fight scenes there were, sucking ass though. Really killed the show for me.
Agent Denton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Some of the opinions about Mnemosyne reminds me of a humorous observation about Evangelion: there are the people who somewhat liked (and somewhat disliked) Eva because of the 'straightforward, entertaining' first half of the show and think it could have been great if not for the 'dysfunctional character study / mind screw' second half of the series, and then there are the people who somewhat liked the show because of its mind screw second half and think it would have been great if it weren't for the 'generic, uninteresting' first half. Obviously, that didn't apply to everyone (or even the majority) who watched Evangelion, but it was pretty common to see that opinion. I've noticed a similar trend (most notably in the thread about Zac's review, but also in other threads and other sites) with Mnemosyne; there are a fair number of people who think the show was one half good and one half bad, but can't agree on which half is the good one or the bad one.

For the record, I enjoyed it. While there are some plot contrivances, the story actually holds together better than a lot of anime in retrospect. There's a nice mix of moods (action, drama, adventure, mystery, horror, romance). Also, Rin (the protagonist) pulled off the trick of coming across likable and entertaining to me rather than as a Mary Sue or a Boring Invincible Protagonist despite having several traits to that effect (healing factor, attractive, skilled, no major character flaws).
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I had been wondering about Rin, thank you for the insightful review.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
*shudder* After seeing your review of Rin I know for sure that's not the show for me. I remember still being squicked out in Baccano even though I knew the character was going to regrow those fingers or what not, if it's more of that then pass!

Julia-the-Great wrote:
Wait, wait wait wait wait. When you say "Wikipe-tan," does that mean somebody anthropomorphized Wikipedia?! I must know more about this. So is Wikipe-tan true to life and one of those annoying know-it-alls who also gets things wrong once in awhile?

Yup, she's rather cute too.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipe-tan_full_length.svg

Quote:
(I highly recommend Video Girl Ai, by the way… why don't I own that?)
Because it's out-of-print and ridiculously expensive now?

Nice Mnemoxyne review, though I may just be saying that because I liked the series. But I also thought it was a relatively original plot compared to a lot of what's out there. It's a good take on immortality, too. Most shows just have "Lol I'm invincible" immortal characters over a short time frame, which makes the different eras Rin lives through a nice touch.
psychopuppet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm so a release is shoddy now if it has no dub and no extra's? Bad subs I can understand ,but those two things are very iffy reasons to call something shoddy especially when sales have already been cut because of it being offered free online. Great it was put as shelf worthy ,but what I basically took from the review is better off going and watching it on Crunchyroll for free instead of putting money into a release that supports it.

Don't mind me just thinking while typing.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Arrested Development for the win, Jonathan... Arrested Development for the very epic win.
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
so why should we spend most of it on "stuff"? Things we would merely call "OK"?

Quote:
American Dad Season 2

Laughing
maribeasteva2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
GO RIN!
nice review about sands too.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, you've sold me on Glass Mask, Erin. I previously had no interest in it, as well...honestly, I had no clue what it was about. But hearing you praise it as being a good, old-fashioned shoujo, that deals with gender issues? Oh yeah...definitely going to be added to my next anime order.
As for Rin, I just got it last week, but have yet to watch it. It had better be disgustingly violent, after the way people have been going on about it. But then, anime has always been good at being disgustingly violent.
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
It always brings a smile to my face to see someone on Shelf Life owning Gankutsuou. It's too epic a series not to own.

On a side note, now I need to check out Glass Mask!
Thunderbird-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Can someone post pictures of the inside of a Sentai Filmworks release so I know what it's like before I buy one of their DVDs?
(Though I'll probably buy them even if the inside packaging is terrible.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Erin couldn't have give a better review for "Mnemosyne." A rough start indeed, especially the climactic ero-guro scene in episode one which made me, a jaded cynic when it comes to fake gore, cringe and turn away. The rest of the show, though, was some of the most entertaining anime I've watched within the past year. The only exception was the majority of episode six, which for the most part was just a culmination of the director's fetishes and perversions. While it did serve a purpose and wrap the series in a nice, if not tangled, bow, it also made me wish that it had a bit more time to be fleshed out in terms of the director backing down on some of the more extraneous and laughable violence/sexuality.

My point being: Rin was an excellent show, but with a rushed ending,
and overkill violence in the first and last episodes.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I've been unsure about RIN for quite some time now but thanks to Erin's wonderful review and Clarissa's review in Otaku USA I am now sold on the series. Thank you for writing a quality review of this anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5