Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Only Yesterday Film Gets Stage Musical




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
H0shi



Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 87
Location: Under(ground)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that would be amazing!

The movie was okay, but it does not have the same impact as Isao's other work Grave of the Fireflies. Heartwarming, but there are some points to be boring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Past



Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Posts: 3256
Location: China (Searching for Jusenkyo)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I would really love to see the stage version, but is it really going to be a musical (not really that fond of musicals)? I think a non-musical stage version would be better, but maybe Japanese musicals are different than Western ones (I don't know).

Omohide PoroPoro happens to be my 3rd most favorite Ghibli film topped only by Nausicaa and Kiki's Delivery Service, but of those 3 Isao's film has the most realism to make it much more adaptable for a stage version.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime
Gyt Kaliba



Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 712
Location: Arkansas
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, shows how much I know. I thought we had all the Ghibli stuff to date here in the states...I need this! Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ggultra2764



Joined: 21 Jan 2004
Posts: 3536
Location: New York state.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Rumor has it Disney got nervous over a couple scenes in the movie and didn't want to distribute it to the war cries of angry parents. The scenes in particular:

spoiler[-Young Taeko bathing at a bathhouse.
-Children immaturely talking about menstruation (one of the girls in Taeko's class has her first period and the boys tease her about it.)]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sariachan



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 1309
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I would really love to see the stage version, but is it really going to be a musical (not really that fond of musicals)? I think a non-musical stage version would be better, but maybe Japanese musicals are different than Western ones (I don't know).

Omohide PoroPoro happens to be my 3rd most favorite Ghibli film topped only by Nausicaa and Kiki's Delivery Service, but of those 3 Isao's film has the most realism to make it much more adaptable for a stage version.


Nausica and Kiki were directed by Hayao Miyazaki. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
daedelus



Joined: 07 Apr 2007
Posts: 743
Location: Texas City, TX (ajd: 6/11/05)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:32 am Reply with quote
Whoa!

My heart skipped a beat for about a millisecond until I read "...gets stage musical" in the title of this article. I'll keep my torch lit for a video release until the end of time.

Still, I would love to see this musical. Probably won't make it to the states, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Penguin_Factory



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 732
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:04 am Reply with quote
This movie really needs more attention.

Also, since a lot of people don't seem to be aware of this, the movie was released in the UK ages ago. If you have a region-free DVD player or VLC on your computer, you can get it very cheap.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
Rumor has it Disney got nervous over a couple scenes in the movie and didn't want to distribute it to the war cries of angry parents. The scenes in particular:

spoiler[-Young Taeko bathing at a bathhouse.
-Children immaturely talking about menstruation (one of the girls in Taeko's class has her first period and the boys tease her about it.)]


If either of these scenes really are to blame, I doubt it's the first one, since there was a similar scene in My Neighbour Totoro and no one batted an eye-lid. I'm also frankly skeptical of the latter scene being the problem- is it really that big an issue that the characaters talk about periods?

I've always just assumed Disney didn't think the movie would sell, since it's much slower and more down to earth than Ghibli's other films.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KayJay123



Joined: 10 Jun 2010
Posts: 11
Location: California
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:19 am Reply with quote
Very Happy I'd definitely go see it! But you're right, daedelus. It'll never make it here. . .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Chrno2



Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 6157
Location: USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
This is pretty interesting news. Now I wonder if this will start a trend. Can you imagine a 'Totoro' musical? I can smell it coming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764



Joined: 21 Jan 2004
Posts: 3536
Location: New York state.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
If either of these scenes really are to blame, I doubt it's the first one, since there was a similar scene in My Neighbour Totoro and no one batted an eye-lid. I'm also frankly skeptical of the latter scene being the problem- is it really that big an issue that the characaters talk about periods?


It's just what I've heard. Disney's not giving reasons for why they won't bother releasing it and if they won't bother with it, why not let another distributor do something with it for those who care for it?

Quote:
I've always just assumed Disney didn't think the movie would sell, since it's much slower and more down to earth than Ghibli's other films.


3,178 voters for a poll from Turner Classic Movies on classic movies not released on American DVDs would have you prove otherwise over there being reasonable demand for the movie's release. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Penguin_Factory



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 732
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:


Is that really enough people to justify a release, though? Assuming all of those people actually bought the DVD (which is highly dubious at best), I have to wonder if that would make back their money.

Of course, the point needs to be made that this is freaking Disney we're talking about, I really doubt the potential loss from releasing Only Yesterday would be anything more than a drop in the bucket, considering there's already a subtitle track available from the R2 release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ggultra2764



Joined: 21 Jan 2004
Posts: 3536
Location: New York state.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Is that really enough people to justify a release, though? Assuming all of those people actually bought the DVD (which is highly dubious at best), I have to wonder if that would make back their money.

Of course, the point needs to be made that this is freaking Disney we're talking about, I really doubt the potential loss from releasing Only Yesterday would be anything more than a drop in the bucket, considering there's already a subtitle track available from the R2 release.


If it's too niche for Disney, then at the very least they could can the rights to the movie instead of sitting on the distribution rights to it. It's no different from Viz Media sitting on the licensing rights to titles they haven't released in years. Companies like Right Stuf or Section 23 could take on the movie considering both have licensed niche anime titles before. If there's an audience willing to buy the movie, regardless of how small it is, then it would be better to please that audience instead of sitting on the rights and not bothering to do anything with the title.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay



Joined: 08 Jun 2004
Posts: 607
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:


Is that really enough people to justify a release, though? Assuming all of those people actually bought the DVD (which is highly dubious at best), I have to wonder if that would make back their money.


Probably not. I think one reason Disney probably hasn't released Only Yesterday (and didn't even give it a English dub) is they may not know how to market it. Disney almost never releases a film without marketing and may not even have that option with a Ghibli film, mattering on how their deal with Ghibli is spelled out in the contract.

That said, Disney did let TCM air Only Yesterday twice during their Salute to Miyazaki a few years ago! I have it video tapped some place and watched most of it at the time and I think the film would sell some but it would be a hard sell IMO not because of the scenes mentioned (I don't think that's really a issue at all) but because the movie is very Japanese. It is more of a quite art film about a the Japanese experience and as such isn't going to be of interest to the normal Ghibli buyer (who are more use to stuff like My Neighbor Totoro or Spirited Away). BTW, I always thought Only Yesterday might be interesting to run on something like CMT or RFD networks because I think a movie about famers in Japan would appeal to farmers in the U.S. but it would need a dub to pull that off and at this point it doesn't have one Sad .

Quote:
Of course, the point needs to be made that this is freaking Disney we're talking about, I really doubt the potential loss from releasing Only Yesterday would be anything more than a drop in the bucket, considering there's already a subtitle track available from the R2 release.


Disney is a publicly traded company, like Navarre/Funimation. They have stock holders and something that didn't sell good would matter to the stock holders. Disney's been very in flux the last few on the business side of things (ending with Pixar buying them) and I have had a feeling that also may have played a roll in Only Yesterday not getting a dub and not getting a R1 release (I keep hoping Lassiter will get the film released dub or no dub but so far nothing).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daedelus



Joined: 07 Apr 2007
Posts: 743
Location: Texas City, TX (ajd: 6/11/05)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Make that 3,179 votes. Smile

I'm a staunch "must have my media on disc" kind of guy, but if they were to offer the movie on iTunes or something similar, I'd buy it. There would be much less overhead and risk with that route of distro.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group