• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gainax's Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Anime Gets Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
What? 22 years later? OK, it's Gainax after all...
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I necessarily prefer this new character design style over that of the original Gunbuster either, but as long as the end result is at least somewhat worthwhile that's just a personal nitpick. I'm wondering if they will go for a more or less faithful adaptation or not.

Last edited by nightjuan on Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
sonickid101

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
so is it another retelling, because they did that all ready with a manga, but uhhh k
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
The most I can see this doing is fleshing out the story of the original, like between and during the episodes. Characterization and story depth are about all it would have going for it, since the OVA relies on far more than just those elements. I hope it gets scanlated.

Also, this isn't the first manga adaptation of Gunbuster or Diebuster.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I wonder if it'll contain any of the expanded elements from the PS2 game or whether it'll be an entirely new retelling.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I hope Bandai Entertainment picks up this manga. I'd love to see more stories in the Gunbuster universe- the previous manga was just short stories/gag manga from my understanding manga#3958 . Diebuster had a webcomic on it's production blog- not sure if that got collected in print. Surprised an ongoing manga series hadn't been done before.

Last edited by Paploo on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I hope Bandai Entertainment picks up this manga.

You honestly believe anyone's going to pick it up?
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Gasp! I want this! I love everything Gunbuster (+Diebuster). I wish some English publisher would look this series' way again, but that seems way unlikely. Such a shame; it is so good!
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Bandai Visual still owes me a manga trailer card I sent away for when I bought the DVD collection years ago :p

I'll be checking this out. Hopefully in English. Gunbuster is on my top 10.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Paploo wrote:
I hope Bandai Entertainment picks up this manga.

You honestly believe anyone's going to pick it up?

Every manga has a chance. And Bandai does have a manga department, and has boxset of the movies out. And if it doesn't get picked up after awhile, I'm more likely to just import the japanese edition then read scans of it- it's not like it's going to be that expensive [5-6 bucks a volume plus shipping? Which might be cheaper if I get it from a Canada/US-based importer].

Not saying it's a likely thing, just that I'd rather give them a chance, and buy the actual japanese edition if it doesn't work out. I'm a big fan of the series- I'd rather have the books in japanese then settle for scans if an english edition never pops up.

Last edited by Paploo on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Gasp! I want this! I love everything Gunbuster (+Diebuster). I wish some English publisher would look this series' way again, but that seems way unlikely. Such a shame; it is so good!

Bandai Ent has the movies in print on BluRay and dvd. There's still stock of the OVA's in some places- I imagine they might reissue those someday since they apparently have access to some of Honneamise's holdings after they were folded into Bandai Ent
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Myaow wrote:

Bandai Ent has the movies in print on BluRay and dvd. There's still stock of the OVA's in some places- I imagine they might reissue those someday since they apparently have access to some of Honneamise's holdings after they were folded into Bandai Ent

The movies are only acceptable to watch after having seen both OVAs, never before, and then only worth collecting if they're the BluRays.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
That's an odd way to phrase it. "Acceptable"? There aren't really rules to anime watching as far as I know. I've watched sequels, remakes, and compilations without having seen the original and done just fine. Reviews I've read make them sound easy enough to get into without having seen the OVA's. I'm good to go for any way fans can get into Gunbuster.

If this manga takes off, and runs enough to get a few volumes in, hopefully one of Kadokawa's domestic partners will look into it- YenPress co-brands their titles from them, and Tokyopop and Bandai Ent have released some of their titles as well. I'm mostly guessing Bandai would have the easiest access since it's one of their anime properties, and their manga line is primarily titles adapted from their anime brands [or in Lucky Star's case the basis]

Wish I'd nabbed the Monsieur Bome figures that came out here recently [did grab a trading fig of Noriko though :)]
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
A GunBuster manga?
For the sake of authenticity, one hopes the final chapter is printed in black and white.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
A GunBuster manga?
For the sake of authenticity, one hopes the final chapter is printed in black and white.

Actually, since manga is always black and white, wouldn't it be more authentic if it was colored?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2