• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, July 9-15

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
fireaxe wrote:
I'm so happy that Bodacious Space Pirates seems to be getting good numbers in Japan, gives me fate that Sentai might think twice before deciding NOT to give the show the BD treatment!
Ummm.... uhh.... I can't even begin to figure out what the hell you mean other than it involves whether or not Sentai will release a BD, so I'll just point out that it was decided before the license was announced and the answer is "yes".

Sorry for the broken English there, hehe, I just woke up when I wrote this.
Anyway, I was fully aware of Sentai's original press release, but at that point it was still mere speculations. I mean, if the show bombed (both here and in Japan), I doubt they would still release BDs just because they already said so in a previous PR.

So my point was simply that this news might be the confirmation that thiswas the right call to make. Again, sorry if I didn't make clear the first time around (as you might have guessed, English isn't my mother tongue Wink ).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

No, but I've read a number of people's previews and impressions.

Which pretty much gives you no standing to comment on its content.

Man I knew this kind of comment would be coming as soon as I posted what I'd said and I was not disappointed. Anime hyper

@danilo07: I haven't read the full review, will do so.

I actually thought you were commenting on the underwhelming sales figures...

Glad to see BSP selling well, and Hyouka, though I wish Vol. 1 would get past 10,000... Not that there is much of a chance of a 2nd season of Hyouka... I think they are going to complete the novels by the end of the season, with only a couple of side stories left for OADs and BD extras... Just like Toradora!
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I own two items from the list. Can you guess which ones? Wink

A hint...English subtitles ;p
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm pleased to see Bodacious Space Pirates selling well (relatively well?). I can't help but wonder if a significant share of those sales are motivated by the schoolgirl hijinks parts that nearly drove me away from the series rather than the cool parts and its other noteworthy qualities, but I suppose I shouldn't complain since those parts are inseparable and one must reward another. I also like seeing The Girl Who Leapt Through Time selling relatively well. I haven't seen it yet, but from what I can tell, it's the sort of thing that I might like and would want to succeed. (And the schoolgirl stuff never turned into anything awful or unpleasant... I'm just not into it)

The Toy Story trilogy set has sold well. Not as well as Nisemonogatari III and the juggernaut that is Mobile Suit Gundam UC, of course, but well. (I do wonder if the gap might be closed some by the DVD sales figures)

dandelion_rose wrote:
- Bodacious Space Pirates
Very Happy

Have you had a change of opinion on the series? I remember that you were bored by it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

dandelion_rose wrote:
Very Happy

Have you had a change of opinion on the series? I remember that you were bored by it.

It is still incredibly boring, but at least it shows that the BD buying crowd has taste.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, the BD cover isn't exactly the most tasteful thing ever...
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I'm pleased to see Bodacious Space Pirates selling well (relatively well?). I can't help but wonder if a significant share of those sales are motivated by the schoolgirl hijinks parts that nearly drove me away from the series rather than the cool parts.

These are the kinda posters that were being released in magazines to promote the series to otaku...

So I think its safe to say that at least a portion of its fanbase liked it for the cute girls.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

dandelion_rose wrote:
Very Happy

It is still incredibly boring, but at least it shows that the BD buying crowd has taste.

"Taste" is subjective. I try my hardest to avoid that word when discussing the medium.

I enjoyed DOG DAYS and Fate/Zero. Both weren't on the same end of the sales spectrum, but entertaining enough for me to buy.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
These are the kinda posters that were being released in magazines to promote the series to otaku...

So I think its safe to say that at least a portion of its fanbase liked it for the cute girls.

That's not what I meant by, "schoolgirl hijinks!"

This is why I drink. Please let me have my delusions! At least for a little while!

luffypirate85 wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

"Taste" is subjective. I try my hardest to avoid that word when discussing the medium.

I'm sorry to hear that. Have you considered treatment?
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
*giggles @ Ryan's trolling Surrender Artist*
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

luffypirate85 wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

It's funny how online communities work. You give a guy a little heads up on how to avoid conflict, and a completely uninvolved someone takes it as I'm provoking them Smile
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

luffypirate85 wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

It's funny how online communities work. You give a guy a little heads up on how to avoid conflict, and a completely uninvolved someone takes it as I'm provoking them Smile

Well, she was responding to a question that I had posed. Besides, I didn't see you as giving advice for avoiding conflict, but as advice for avoiding being interesting.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

luffypirate85 wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

Well, she was responding to a question that I had posed. Besides, I didn't see you as giving advice for avoiding conflict, but as advice for avoiding being interesting.

All it takes is one hot-headed fan to pop in here and start firing off labels like "elitist" and "snob". Beware of those ones when using "taste".
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
So this is back, and with a new format, nice.

Also hurray for Mouretsu Pirates!
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:17 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
I'm pleased to see Bodacious Space Pirates selling well (relatively well?). I can't help but wonder if a significant share of those sales are motivated by the schoolgirl hijinks parts that nearly drove me away from the series rather than the cool parts.

Portion of it yes,but majority no.This series has a light novel and this is last BD released so we can safely assume that people do know that this is false advertising.Besides the same who buy this will also buy something like Gundam Unicorn who just likes kicking ass on sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3