• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Sketchbook ~full color'S~ Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Does this mean that we'll never see Sketchbook DVDs now? I mean, CR doesn't do DVDs, so if they have the full license, no one else can do DVDs either.

No one was going to, unless it was Rightstuf, in which case, no dub either. I know many people can't comprehend this, but not every anime can do well over here. Anime is a business, not a non-profit volunteer organization. If something appears like a bad investment, it won't happen. Sure they'll try to give fans some service now and then, but they won't go that far out of their way.

Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Maybe someday CrunchyRoll will get the rights to DVD distribution and not just online distribution.

That's unlikely to happen either, considering how much more work and money is needed to make DVDs, cases, and shipping. Comparatively, online streaming is nothing, you pretty just have equipment and bandwidth costs, maybe some paychecks.
james039

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Great, but I'm still waiting for a DVD release. Sub only is just fine and dandy, but please, some physical media. Thank you.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
No one was going to, unless it was Rightstuf, in which case, no dub either. I know many people can't comprehend this, but not every anime can do well over here.

Eh? What gave you the idea that I was looking for a dub? I don't care about dubs. I'd rather anime companies not do dubs at all and use the money they save to stay alive, or bring over anime like this.
corinthian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see it picked up. I never really expected a DVD release of this, so I guess streaming will have to do.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Does this mean that we'll never see Sketchbook DVDs now? I mean, CR doesn't do DVDs, so if they have the full license, no one else can do DVDs either.

I wouldn't hold my breath for it, but this doesn't mean that. Remember, CR streams shows that already have a DVD release.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Cool. Another good slice of life comes over. I, too, would hope for DVDs.

I imagine there is enough of a business relationship going on between Funi and CR that statistics will be available to help determine viability of a DVD release. At least I would expect that from American anime distributors at this stage of the game.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Cool, my dislike of CR aside, Sketchbook is awesome and needs more love! :3

Though I bet Crunchyroll will deny this (among the countless things they denied) Sketchbook was actually on Crunchyroll about a year or two ago. They can deny it all they want and even have the owner deny it, but it is 100% true.

But my dislike of Crunchyroll aside, Sketchbook is a fantasitc and enjoyable series. No nudity, no fanservice, no aggravating characters.

Unlike other art themed anime and manga, Sketchook is a show that almost anyone can enjoy without being bomboarded with moe and large amount of fanservice.

But in some ways, the anime is better the manga and in some ways, the manga is better than the anime. The plus side of the manga is there are more characters in the manga that weren't in the anime.

But if your looking to watch a easy going, enjoyable, slice of life show, I highly recomend Sketchbook. Hopefully, in the near future Sketchbook is picked up by a company that will give this series a great English audio.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Wow, nice! I never saw the end of this series, and I did enjoy it! Congrats to CR for an older series, but a good one!
It aired two years ago. It's not old.
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

Eh? What gave you the idea that I was looking for a dub? I don't care about dubs. I'd rather anime companies not do dubs at all and use the money they save to stay alive, or bring over anime like this.

I just want to say that I do care about dubs, so I'd be much happier if FUNi licensed the show than, say, RightStuf or Bandai or ADV.

As much as I loved the show I probably wouldn't actually buy it if it didn't have a dub. But just to make up for my past fansub watching I will watch the show again on Crunchyroll to show my support, just like I do for everything I like.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm very pleased to see this- I remember wanting to make a note of this bakc when it came out becuase it looked good- but like an idiot, I didn't write the name down and forgot what it was called. Embarassed

I'll probably get around to looking at the stream soon-ish, but I pray a DVD comes out- I'd much, much rather buy it. In a heartbeat.
ThatOneMan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Veers wrote:
Cool, my dislike of CR aside, Sketchbook is awesome and needs more love! :3

Though I bet Crunchyroll will deny this (among the countless things they denied) Sketchbook was actually on Crunchyroll about a year or two ago. They can deny it all they want and even have the owner deny it, but it is 100% true.

No shit sherlock. Crunchyroll was an illegal streaming site before. Everyone knows that. Why on earth would they deny it? That makes absolutely no sense.
Also what are these countless other things they have denied?
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Comparatively, online streaming is nothing, you pretty just have equipment and bandwidth costs, maybe some paychecks.

.. and translation (lots), and subtitling (typesetting, positioning, timing) (lots), and sometimes encoding

But anyways, about the possibility of a DVD release. I believe the two independent in that one does not preclude the other.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Maybe someday CrunchyRoll will get the rights to DVD distribution and not just online distribution.

That's unlikely to happen either, considering how much more work and money is needed to make DVDs, cases, and shipping.

Some sort of burn-on-demand thing might work for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Oh, what's this? A new series? Why, I might love Crunyroll forever and ever and buy their ridiculous subscription plan with a ton of money and -

Oh wait.

"Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this is unavailable in your region."

Well, it is "Talk like a pirate" day and thus I think it's time for myself and my UK (and outside the holy land of allowance land) brothern to don the eye patch and the parrot. For we are pirates to the industry and thus "YAR, this proposition by the scurvy dogs of crunchyroll be unacceptable, we shall instead plunder them with our IRC Cannons upon the Torrents of Bit!"
unellmay..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Oh, what's this? A new series? Why, I might love Crunyroll forever and ever and buy their ridiculous subscription plan with a ton of money and -

Oh wait.

"Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this is unavailable in your region."

Well, it is "Talk like a pirate" day and thus I think it's time for myself and my UK (and outside the holy land of allowance land) brothern to don the eye patch and the parrot. For we are pirates to the industry and thus "YAR, this proposition by the scurvy dogs of crunchyroll be unacceptable, we shall instead plunder them with our IRC Cannons upon the Torrents of Bit!"

Hardy har har
No wonder we don't get anything with whiners like this Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3