• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Lays Off 60% of Its Staff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Sentai Filmworks,FUNimation and Viz Media is all we need here in America

And then as soon as one of those companies do something you don't like you'll whine and cry and complain and wish death on them, and we'll be back to square one.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
@Shenl742

Ok I will. I call it like i see it. I would prfer if NIS Drops dead before MB. Sentai Filmworks,FUNimation and Viz Media is all we need here in America

I disagree. Competition is great. NIS just started...and their works are NOT that bad. Unless you hate subtitled anime. They pick up things no one else did (Toradora for example...sat available for a long while until NIS picked it up). Nothing wrong with that. Honestly I prefer Subtitled-Only because it gets released quicker and I dont have to listen to what 90% of the time ends up being a terrible dub( now days anyway...06 and earlier dubs were pretty damn good in general..idk wtf happened).

I'm sure most people here know already that I hate Sentai for overpricing..but I don't wish their death. Thankfully amazon and rightstuf always release their stuff at reasonable prices instead of Sentai's listed prices and I have no problems turning the audio to Japanese. I hope Media Blasters can continue to release just as much as always, if not more. Shame people lost their jobs..that's the country we live in now.
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Ok I will. I call it like i see it. I would prfer if NIS Drops dead before MB. Sentai Filmworks,FUNimation and Viz Media is all we need here in America

I don't agree with this at all. While I don't think they all do releases perfectly, each one of them has the types of shows they like to pursue and the way they like to release them.

Reducing the number of possible licensees means there will be less chances for any number of shows to be released here. That is not a good thing from any perspective, no matter how you might disagree with their methods of business.

Kougeru wrote:
I'm sure most people here know already that I hate Sentai for overpricing..but I don't wish their death.

I pray you never find an Aniplex show you really like if you think Sentai is overpricing. Wink

Congrats on 1,000 posts, also. Very Happy
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Happy New Year anime fans! The anime industry is dying in North America! Confused

It's still got until December 21st. Smile
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
At least they only lost 9 employees. Viz cut 55. Tokyopop downsized from 200 to 6 over a period of 3 years before they shut down completely.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
That's distressing news. I have a certain fondness for Media Blasters and their eclectic catalog. They've released some out-of-the-way titles that I wouldn't've have expected to see in the United States, like Magical Witch Punie-Chan.

I hope that the company will survive, although dispensing with so any staff rarely portends good things. I Markets yield better outcomes with more participants, not fewer.

Mario1234567 wrote:
I call it like i see it.

You should consider lasic surgery then.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
@Shenl742

Seriously .. what this with the hate against the people who work hard to bring us titles that we can actually BUY! Personally I think NIS is doing a great job. They are taking on niche titiles that other people havn't/won't pick up and doing awesome premium packages to boot! Their Toradora! premiums take pride of place on my bookcase .. well they would if they fitted properly!

If you don't like their prices ... wait until they produce the regular sets.

Anyway Anime is a sideline for NIS. They make all their money on the games they bring over. I have 4-5 of their PS3 games.

Last edited by ScruffyKiwi on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Another American company that may be close to dropping out of the DVD industry. Its kinda sad
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Please stop responding to Mario. Crikey.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Wow and not long after Bandai's decision to leave the industry too.
Agreed, it's only been a week.

Gawdammit, I suspected they were next, and now, they have this big layoff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kohii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
At least they only lost 9 employees. Viz cut 55. Tokyopop downsized from 200 to 6 over a period of 3 years before they shut down completely.

But "60%" has a pretty mean ring to it.

Fight on, Media Blasters. Don't give up yet.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
Jaymie wrote:

But "60%" has a pretty mean ring to it.

Fight on, Media Blasters. Don't give up yet.
Indeed.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-05-11/pw/viz-media-lays-off-up-to-60-closes-ny-branch[/url]
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely not good news, especially since I have a few friends that work there. I'd hate to hear of any of them losing their jobs.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Mc-Taz wrote:

Kougeru wrote:
I'm sure most people here know already that I hate Sentai for overpricing..but I don't wish their death.

I pray you never find an Aniplex show you really like if you think Sentai is overpricing. Wink

Exactly. I really don't get the complaining about Sentai's pricing. It's pretty comparable to both NIS and Funimation and Sentai's sets tend to get discounted more heavily more regularly. For instance, High School of the Dead on bluray was $38 on Amazon for months, and was Angel Beats and Samurai Girls. Very few of the Funimation series I've been interested have been that cheap for that long.

NIS releases a premium product but they've also been known to have some serious AV issues for those premium releases, at least initially. Luckily their recent releases seem to have been fine. They also don't discounted as heavily as releases from other studios.

I don't really care about the MSRP as I still pay less for Sentai's releases than I do for Funi's or just about anyone else's, save MB. So it really doesn't make any difference to me.

As for the news this thread is actually on, I don't think anyone is too surprised. But keep in mind that MB had a lot of operations that had nothing to do with their anime releases such as live action film production (not just licensing) and they also ran a retail store. They likely had a lot of overhead as a result. I wouldn't hit the panic button yet.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Happy New Year anime fans! The anime industry is dying in North America! Confused
The pirates* must be cheering with their hard drives!<_<

*By pirates, I'm referring to those who never buy. I'm not referring to those who pirate, but still buy in the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7