• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Hated Character Ever?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
People's inability to understand Vash always bothers and perplexes me. Despite his inhumanness, he's a very human, relatable character, the more so as the show goes on. "Trigun" is like the anti-"Robocop", the anti-"James Bond". I guess if you really like shows about immoral antiheroes who kill bad guys without compunction, then "Trigun" isn't for you. But "Trigun" stands for much of how I try to live my life, albeit imperfectly.
Webki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
People's inability to understand Vash always bothers and perplexes me. Despite his inhumanness, he's a very human, relatable character, the more so as the show goes on. "Trigun" is like the anti-"Robocop", the anti-"James Bond". I guess if you really like shows about immoral antiheroes who kill bad guys without compunction, then "Trigun" isn't for you. But "Trigun" stands for much of how I try to live my life, albeit imperfectly.

Here here! Well said.
Magnamus0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm? I'm gonna pick Naraku, From Inuyasha.

My reasons? because' he's a dirty little cheapskate who no matter what will never get his hands dirty Evil or Very Mad (unless he's showing off or his life depends on it) and becaus that eye on his chest is kinda freaky Sad

P.S. It's staring at you! Shocked
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Didn't check to see if I posted in this , probanly didn't, but anyway, I would have to say that my most hated character ever would be DaZ616's avatar. That face, I just can't stop looking at it. That avatar is either a joke or a death threat. I think it's a joke since it got me to laugh.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:48 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Didn't check to see if I posted in this , probanly didn't, but anyway, I would have to say that my most hated character ever would be DaZ616's avatar. That face, I just can't stop looking at it. That avatar is either a joke or a death threat. I think it's a joke since it got me to laugh.

Who/what is that avatar anyway...? I tried the search feature and found that he did post on "Your Avatar" but I didn't feel like searching through 45+ pages to find it.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't know for sure but I think it is from The Moment the Cicadas Cry. I am probably wrong though, just reminds me of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I don't know for sure but I think it is from The Moment the Cicadas Cry. I am probably wrong though, just reminds me of it.

It's gotta be... only other character I can think of that looks kind of like that with those hair things is Lacus, and that's just too out of character for her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
It's gotta be... only other character I can think of that looks kind of like that with those hair things is Lacus, and that's just too out of character for her.

It is Lacus Clyne of Gundam SEED... it was just horribly mutated using photoshop or something of the sort. People tend to enjoy messing with her face as I've seen other faces like that of her posted on 4chan.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:

Oh come on, you guys are giving Higurashi no Naku Koro ni a bad name. We all know that Rena is the most adorable anime character ever. She was even kind enough to cook dinner for Keiichi when his parents were away. How can someone like her be the horrible...thing that is DaZ616's avatar?

If anything, it looks like a mutant Cell from DBZ with red/pink hair.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:36 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
selenta wrote:

It is Lacus Clyne of Gundam SEED... it was just horribly mutated using photoshop or something of the sort. People tend to enjoy messing with her face as I've seen other faces like that of her posted on 4chan.

Shocked nuuu...... my poor poor Lacus....
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
How can someone like her be the horrible...thing that is DaZ616's avatar?

"Horrible"?! That magnificent image is by far the best avatar on these forums. You must be joking, as I don't see how anyone could find that image to be anything other than drop-dead gorgeous.
DaZ616

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
selenta wrote:

Yep, its lacus clyne. I found this avatar in my pictures. I think my brother saved it from some website.

Getting back to the topic, speaking about lacus and Gundam S.D, i find people like Kira being to nice to be kind of annoying at sometimes, and shin to be annoying aswell at times because he cant make up decisions. Thats all for now.... Confused

LydiaDianne, page 45 of "My avatar" thread Laughing

-DaZ

P.S My avatar is drop-dead gorgeous isnt she? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:

Understanding something and liking it are entirely different. I get how characters like Vash and Abel get like they are but I don't like it. Vash is simply not a relatable character. Like someone already said, characters that fit into that archetype don't grow we just find out their back story. I'm not some violence loving simpleton that can't enjoy a character that doesn't constantly use every means available to him to obliterate his enemies, but when characters just do absolutely nothing until the absolute last second it bothers me.

What particularly annoys me about Vash is how he is simply incapable of taking any action that doesn't immediately save everyone. He can even walk into a fight with his guns blazing and try and beat everyone without killing them (which is fine) but someone grabs a hostage and it instantly becomes "Oh no! Don't hurt them. I'll lick your shoes, cry for 20 minutes, do your taxes, cook you dinner, and let you beat me up for a week if you release that hostage that trying to kill me 5 seconds ago".

Basically, Vash is idealistic to the point where it trancends it being a rational flaw. He doesn't clobber everyone all the time, fine. He doesn't like to fight, fine. He's depressed from past troubles, fine. He refuses to let anyone get hurt, this is getting stupid. He wont make the slightest sacrifice to save others at the cost of a badguy or insignificant character, ok this isn't even humanly comprehensible anymore.

Not that I'm just ranting off about hating Vash but if someone tries to say that I don't understand him then it's just annoying. He isn't some deep symbolic character that I'm entirely missing the point of, he's just a very flawed and unrealistic character archetype that I don't like to see.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
First off, I love Shinji Ikari as a character. He's one of the very, very few characters whose problems actually lead to a logical and painful end because of his inability to actually confront them. He is a human allegory of the basic need for human interaction that all people want. While his character may at times be annoying or downright dislikable, he's supposed to be, and in that sense he succeeds as a character in a way few others have since.

Characters whom I absolutely despise (in no particular order):

Naruto, and the entire Naruto English dub: I don't watch Naruto subbed. Because franikly, what I've seen of the show on cartoon Network is frankly some of the most boring and annoying crap I've ever had the displeasure of grating on my ears. Add to this the pithy lines about friendship and teamwork and the entire show just doesn't work.

Ryoga Hibiki: It takes a special breed to sneak into the bed of your idol every night for months (years?) on end while suggesting that her actual fiancee (who'se been quietly protecting her from him while still not giving away Ryoga's secret) is a pervert who is trying to take advantage of her. The hibiki line, apparently, is just such a breed. "Pig" has never been a more appropriately suitable term for the bastard, and his continued popularity in the series and among its fans has always disturbed me greatly.

Ash Ketchum: Train your pets to savagely maim (or kill) other animals while promoting animal rights, teamwork, and friendship. I dare you to disagree. And mind you, I hate the PETA.

Keiichi Morisato: this should not be misconstrued as stating that the Ah! My Goddess series is bad, or even that Keiichi is even a bad character. But for all that people bash on Shinji the Spineless, K-1 has to be arguably the worst-portrayed character in all of manga. I'll just point out that the words "I love you" won't appear for several more years at the current rate of release for the mangas. We're at volume 24 or so in the states, mind you, at a new volume every 4 months. And even then... well, I'd need to spoil some crap, wouldn't I?

Rin (unknown last name) from Blade of the Immortal: On a certain level, I understand the clashing culture that makes this character annoying, but If she were to waffle any more, she and Manji would need to move into an Edo-period IHOP.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki: It takes a special breed to sneak into the bed of your idol every night for months (years?) on end while suggesting that her actual fiancee (who'se been quietly protecting her from him while still not giving away Ryoga's secret) is a pervert who is trying to take advantage of her. The hibiki line, apparently, is just such a breed. "Pig" has never been a more appropriately suitable term for the bastard, and his continued popularity in the series and among its fans has always disturbed me greatly.

Ash Ketchum: Train your pets to savagely maim (or kill) other animals while promoting animal rights, teamwork, and friendship. I dare you to disagree. And mind you, I hate the PETA.

Laughing

You've opened MY eyes! I never grasped the fact that Ryoga's a perv. And Ash better not hope he goes to NYC or else Anne Marie Lucas of Animal Planet's Animal Precinct is going to be all over his butt!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14