• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2015

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
RocketOtter wrote:
(Charlotte at #10 on the poll? I thought that show sucked personally but hey, my opinion. And I'm surprised Gangsta's that high up (Above School-Live infact) even with its supposedly shit ending (I haven't watched it yet though so I can't judge for myself))

Despite ruining three episodes of wonderful development with blatant wish-fulfillment, Charlotte remains a series that made me feel and impressed me far more than I expected it to. That, and the ending had great acting and development.

As for Gangsta, I didn't vote for it, but the events of the series were pretty good. The ending... well, I had a good laugh at it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm just delighted to see that at least 12 other people are watching and apparently liking Peeping Life. ^.^ Even I didn't vote for it as a best of, but maybe they were being ironic. If no one was voting sarcastically, it's sort of impressive that only 2 series had 0 votes, and one of those I've never even heard of. Anime really does offer something for everyone.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
keichitsu0305 wrote:
AssClass, Noragami Aragoto, Gintama Season 3, Sound! and Food Wars get honorable mentions since they all have sequels/continuations planned for 2016.

For Noragami, do you mean upcoming manga-bundled OVA's? I don't think I've seen news of a sequel series planned (I'd really love for that to be true, though).

I meant primarily AssClass, Gintama Season 3, Sound! and Food Wars. Dear god, I wish Noragami got a third season but, that was a typo on my part. I should've said "most" instead of "all". Yeah...WHERE'S MY SEASON 3 BONES?!?!
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
It's the most original. Most people are tired of "serious" shonen super hero kids (when in reality those shows are a joke and lack any seriousness whatsoever), slice of life dicking around with no plot, or random shows that are so full of cliche's that the whole plot is predictable.

I mean, we could argue about what "most original" even means until the end of time, but... I barely watched anything this year and I know for a fact One Punch isn't remotely the most original recent anime. YuriKuma and Blood Blockade, for example, both have somewhat excessive amounts of creativity dumped into them. I didn't like them all that much, though, so I'm not just playing favorites here; another in the same vein that I actually did like was Gatchaman Crowds Insight.

One Punch is a good show, but it's a very straightforward "affectionate parody" of superheroes/super-sentai. Saitama himself is the only unique concept in it; which is intentional, because he's a foil to all the more standard-issue heroes and villains, but the show isn't exactly bursting with ideas that we've never seen before. (Maybe the bicycle guy, but he's just the polar opposite of Saitama: great at being popular but useless in a fight.)

Nothing profoundly original is ever going to be as overwhelmingly popular as One Punch (almost 50% of all votes!). It's popular because it's different enough to be interesting, but still mostly familiar so it's not confusing, and has plenty of action/comedy so it's never slow or boring; just like the previous mega-hit, Attack on Titan. It has enough thought and intelligence put in to not feel like just dumb violence, but never forces you to think. Most of this is also true of Blood Blockade, which is why it did well despite its weirdness. Genuinely unusual shows usually fall between the top 10 and the junkpile at the bottom in terms of popularity.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti: Peeping Life is great (there are better shows, which got my vote). Of the two zero-vote shows, one is a awful sequel to an awful short and the other I've tried and failed to actually find and watch anywhere.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
So, part 6 only has My Love Story!! listed out of the anime I really enjoyed this season. I'm not planning on watching Death Parade or School Live, but I'm currently checking out BBB (and really enjoying it).

*Checks poll*
Wow, people really like OPM around here. While I've enjoyed what I've seen, it isn't a show that I'd have in my top 10 for 2015. I'd some same of that has to do with having my fill of superheroes due to reading comics. Just don't feel like this show really brings much to the table for me.

I will say, I'm a bit surprised that Charlotte made it into the top 10. I enjoyed that show, but I found more discussion on it negative online, rather than a lot of positive. Of course, I don't look at a lot of places for online anime discussion.

Honestly, I can't even remember what I voted for. But, happy to see stuff like SNAFU, AssClass, My Love Story, Prison School, Over Lord and GATE in the top 20.

And Rokka is in 21st...and with it, comes another surprise for me. It out ranked both School-Live and MonMusu, which come in at 25th and 28th respectively.

Lastly, saddened that Maria the Virgin Witch and Working!!! ranked as low as they did.

Tenchi wrote:
(like the "Flatty-san" one and the episode where Kaede "Candy Store" Kagayama was helping Renge Miyauchi learn how to ride her bike).

If I were to make a list of the top 5 episodes of 2015, these would be my top two. Really loved Non Non Biyori Repeat. For a show where nothing happens, it has some great moments.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Waw...... Fate Stay Night UBW ranked that high on the poll?!?!

I guess this proves that the fanbase doesn't care for the quality of the show or content as long as it looks good. Great job ufotable, you can make garbage sell as long as it looks pretty.

Just because you didn't like the story doesn't mean other people have to dislike it. I thought the story was very well done aside from the pacing during the spoiler[Archer fight], and even that wasn't nearly enough to ruin the rest of it. It's rating isn't that surprising if you look at how it was scored here and on MAL (which has a much higher userbase). The reviewers didn't like it, but the general fanbase did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merxamers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Results of the megapoll not too surprising to me; UBW has a massive following (i dropped it after Saber spoiler[got kidnapped by Caster])

It's too bad Wagnaria!! S3 is only 44; i thought it was the best season of a solid show (but then again, i didn't watch Non Non Biyori, which everyone else seems to love Razz) Oh well, it'll have a place on my shelf, at least.

Less surprised about Knights of Sidonia falling to 50th; as a Netflix property idk how many people actually watched it, and it's probably a niche show anyway. I enjoyed it at least; that's good enough for me. Hopefully we'll get a season 3 out of it (that would probably be enough to conclude the story).

{Added spoiler tags. ~nobahn}
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
#TheFrozenSaint wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
(Rhubarb rhubarb)
You interpret it as making fun of the typical anime stereotypes, when in fact it doesn't. Plus there's rarely any dialogue that specifically targets and makes fun of the stereotypes themselves.

You say the comedy the comedy is good but I would say it's actually lacking.

You interpret it as not making fun of the typical anime stereotypes, when in fact it does. One of the best things about it is that there's rarely any ham-fisted parody using dialogue to specifically target and make fun of the stereotypes themselves.

You say the comedy is lacking but I would say it's actually good. Is not! Is so! etc. It's almost as if art is subjective or something.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
I think the mega poll results were quite interesting personally. OPM on top I think surprises no one. Everyone is going to debate OPM's winning it until next year's poll. Is it really that good? Is it just mindless popularity fueling it? Will it even end on a high note and be worthy of the title it won while still airing? Why do hot dogs come in packs of 10 while hot dog buns come in packs of 8? Endless debate.

What's interesting is that Death Parade came in strong at #2. While yes the majority of the reviewers all had it on their top 5 the show never garnered as much discussion or popularity (seemingly) as many other titles. I remember discussing the show as it aired and it didn't have the same amount of page views as many other series. It could easily have been one of those titles that was appreciated by the more...nuanced fans for lack of better word, but yet not really appreciated on a more wide scale. Yet there it is at #2.

I also personally find it interesting that outside of the top 2 most of the titles the staff all picked in their top 5 were not even in the top 10. BBB was the only other title beyond the top 2 to get a strong showing from the reviewers. JoJo and Dan Machi only got 1 nod each (right?) so they barely made the upper end of the poll.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
JoJo and Dan Machi only got 1 nod each (right?) so they barely made the upper end of the poll.

DanMachi actually had two. I had it at #5 and Rebecca had it at #3. Neither should probably be a big surprise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
I'm glad One Punch Man topped the poll, since I think conceptually it's one of the best animes this year, even if I'm not all that crazy for it (though I've enjoyed it). It's surprising by how big of a margin it won out though, it makes me wonder how things in Japan have stacked up in comparison. I'm also surprised Osomatsu was so much lower on the list, and kind of wish it and Ushio & Tora ranked a bit ways higher.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Is it really that good? Is it just mindless popularity fueling it?

I think one reason the reviewers and the poll scores don't necessarily align is because people are ranking using different criteria. The poll instructions say "Pick your 5 favorite shows, and this will help us compile a top 5 list of the most popular shows of the year..." On the other hand, it begins with saying, "We're putting together a big feature on the best anime series of 2015, and we need your input." (all emphasis added)

So mixed message there. Smile Because we all know that often favorite and most popular ≠ best. Shilling for Peeping Life again, it's definitely in my top 5 favorites this season, top 10 for the year, and one of the titles I eagerly look forward to each week, but best? Certainly not. I did pick Battlefront, because I thought it was among the best, even if, while enjoying it thoroughly, I kind of had to push myself to watch it some weeks because it was just too overwhelming for my mood. So one of the best, definitely; favorite? well, sort of.

Reviewers may be more inclined to try to objectively evaluate best over favorite, while some of us anonymously clicking a poll may lean more toward favorite over best. I think the poll is the result of a mixture of approaches, plus the fact that sometimes favorite does equal best.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
If anyone wanted to directly compare megapoll placements to how many staff critics had them on their lists, here you go! Might be a good reference for new stuff to check out in the future. (I stop listing popular vote rank titles after the top 25, when jumps between critic picks and popular picks start getting much wider, and 25 just seems like a solid number to stop annotating BOTY stuff.)

RECOMMENDED ANIME RANKED BY POPULAR VOTE

#1 One-Punch Man (7 critic picks)
#2 Death Parade (6 critic picks)
#3 Noragami Aragoto (1 critic pick)
(no critic picks for #4 FSN UBW or #5 Food Wars!)
#6 Blood Blockade Battlefront (5 critic picks)
#7 My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO! (1 critic pick)
#8 Assassination Classroom (1 critic pick)
#9 Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (2 critic picks)
(no critic picks for #10 Charlotte)
#11 Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc (1 critic pick)
(no critic picks for #12 GATE)
#13 Haikyu!! Second Season (1 critic pick)
(no critic picks for #14 Tokyo Ghoul √A)
#15 Prison School (1 critic pick)
(no critic picks for #16 Overlord)
#17 My Love Story!! (5 critic picks)
#18 Gintama season 4 (1 critic pick)
#19 Sound! Euphonium (3 critic picks)
#20 Owarimonogatari (1 critic pick)
(no critic picks for #21 Rokka)
#22 Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (2 critic picks)
(no critic picks for #23 Kuroko's Basketball or #24 Gangsta)
#25 School-Live! (4 critic picks)
(no critic picks for #26)
#27 Ushio & Tora (1 critic pick)
(no critic picks for #28-32)
#33 Yurikuma Arashi (4 critic picks)
(no critic picks for #34-#38)
#39 Snow White with the Red Hair (1 critic pick)
(no critic picks for #40)
#41 Maria the Virgin Witch (3 critic picks)
(no critic picks for #42)
#43 Gatchaman Crowds insight (1 critic pick)
(no critic picks for #44-#57)
#58 Baby Steps season 2 (1 critic pick)
(no critic picks for #59)
#60 Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! (1 critic pick)
(no critic picks past #60 on the popularity poll)

*Anthem of the Heart was not on the poll, because it was for TV series only, but it was on one critic's list. Side note, at least two other critics on staff (Hope Chapman [me] and Nick Creamer) really liked that movie, just not enough to make the top 5. But you should try and see it when it comes out!

~WHEE NUMBERS~
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
I haven’t seen enough series this year to pick the best five, but what watched I usually liked.
Gatchaman Crowds insight is an excellent series. Nakamura proved once again that he is a talented director. Tsubasa might not be a likable character, and it’s completely clear she was not supposed to be one, but I liked her character development. It was well done.

Snow White with the Red Hair – it is a nice shoujo with a good romance. Looking forward for the new season.

Akatsuki no Yona – it started in 2014, but I started watching it 2015, so for me it’s 2015 series. It has a good plot with decent world-building and it did a good job at showing the relationships – between Soo-won and Yona and Soo-won and Hak. The emotions connected to Soo-won is what makes this series good.

Yurikuma Arashi – it is an OK series. I didn’t like it as much as other Ikuhara series, but that might be because it was less universal that his other works.

I also watched the first season of Fate Stay Night UBW, but it was so forgettable that I hadn’t remembered that it exists until I saw the poll. I also tried to watch Rokka, but characters were so uninteresting that I dropped it after episode 2 or 3.

Last edited by Aylinn on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 22