• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Hampshire School Disciplines Student After Finding 'Death Note' Book

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
Well this all seems pretty reasonable. While past incidents involving "Death Notes" made by kids have often seemed overblown at best, I think you've definitely crossed into genuinely concerning territory when you've got a kid actually writing down dates and causes of death for their fellow students. Certainly that's something that demands to be taken seriously and investigated. Evidently there was no real intent to act on this and thus I hope the punishment isn't too disproportionate. But pending that, I really have no issue with how this was handled.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
death note isnt even relevant to the mainstream casual audience anymore... so baffling this keep happening
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:49 am Reply with quote
Here we go again another Death Note related witch hunt where everyone is attacking the wrong person meanwhile the REAL monsters hide out in plain sight but of course people are too blind to see the truth. Rolling Eyes
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:06 am Reply with quote
GEO9875 wrote:
death note isnt even relevant to the mainstream casual audience anymore... so baffling this keep happening

I'm not sure about that. Death Note is still somewhat a phenomenon. There was a live-action TV series, there's going to be another movie, the Blu-Rays are coming out over here, there was a musical, there's a Hollywood movie being made. It still has some teeth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
Could be worse. There was that incident at Puente Hills (a predominantly Chinese district of Los Angeles) where a Chinese immigrant student was attacked by three other Chinese immigrant students, took those three to court, and won. What resulted was praise in social media from China about how the United States' court system assigns blame in bullying cases to the bully, indicating that in China, victims are routinely blamed by the authorities.

But I guess the big thing for this case is that no one can tell if it's a bullying issue or not. Even then, yeah, some adults are unusually blind to how bullying works.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Not this again. Sociopathic teenagers seem intent on giving Death Note a bad name.

I mean sure it's not quite as stupid as watching Breaking Bad and deciding to throw away your life and cook meth with your buddy but it's still quite concerning. Not to mention it's a pretty awful interpretation of the show's themes.

The thing is that Light Yagami is a very identifiable character to frustrated and angsty teenagers everywhere, as Light is also a frustrated and angsty teenager. Light gets an incredible amount of power through the Death Note and more or less gets his way with whatever he wants for most of the series, so the series itself easily can function as a power fantasy.

penguintruth wrote:
So, these people know Death Notes don't actually work, right?

They know, but the adults, who are likely passingly familiar with the series, if at all, most often treat it as a to-do list. In the adult world, after all, you bottle these thoughts inside yourself and forget how badly treated you were back in school (unless you were a bully yourself, in which case you might be in a position of power today).

MagusGuardian wrote:
someone get the kid some therapy, teach the seventeen on the list (if they are bullying the suspect) that spreading hate is wrong and there are consequences to it, and educate the dumb masses about the difference between fantasy and reality

If they really are bullies, then simply talking to them that what they're doing is wrong is not going to work. That's the solution cartoons back in the 80's and 90's suggested (and I still cannot figure out for the lift of me why they think it works if it never did in their own childhoods). The real reason why a kid might go bullying other kids varies tremendously on the individual, ranging from the bully feeling isolated and marginalized themselves to just simple schadenfreude, but all of these causes don't go away simply by telling the kid it's wrong. They know it's wrong and they know adults shun that behavior.

Skilled bullies also wear a mask of innocence around authoritiy figures and are very good at spinning the blame on the victim. I fear that this incident could be one such case, as everyone whose name was written in the notebook has learned about it.

H. Guderian wrote:
Yeah. I'd like them to look into that, too.

And to make matters worse, if the student was being bullied with no recourse before, imagine what's gonna come after. You think the kid who found the notebook is gonna keep quiet? Everyone in school is gonna know who wrote it -and- who was on the list. The kid's school life is over. Might as well punish the id and make sure they never have a future to top it off.

Also...
Where did the snitch find the notebook? Did they beat the kid up and take it out of their arms and go run off laughing to the Principal? Did they break into the kid's locker, steal their bag?

The easiest thing to do is wait for the kid with the notebook to go somewhere else temporarily and leave the notebook on the desk, then have someone next to them take it and look through it. Happened all the time in class at my schools (though never with a Death Note replica, of course).

And yeah, I am always astonished at how little adults know about how school life works. What do they think is going to happen to this kid afterwards? That the "victims" get a better understanding of what happened and they live peacefully after that? Adults are sometimes driven by retaliation too. Wouldn't kids also?

I can't wrap my mind around adults who remember their school life as peaceful and idyllic, unless they were home-schooled or went to a religious school where behavior was strictly enforced (and that, too, would create a lot of high-pressure rage).

hack5 wrote:
Im talking about kids in general,yeah they were bullied so what would writing someone name in a death book would do!!!! as i said instead of picking the good things out of anime they chose the bad.There are so much different anime out there that teaches you so many positive lessons of life but out of all those they chose death note to express themselves Rolling Eyes come on we all know the ending of death note story maybe thats why the mangaka ended it in that manner.lesson well learned Arrow

This person was most likely a deeply frustrated individual for social reasons. This is venting her frustrations in a harmless way.

GEO9875 wrote:

Viz is still selling the manga though, and its popularity has been quite enduring because of its relatability to frustrated teenagers. The beginning of the series reads out like a better-written dark fic, only with original characters, and that's all the hook it needs.
TamenishDragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
This poor girl has obviously been bullied... It would be terrible to see her punished for writing names in a book that doesn't really do anything in the real world. The school now needs to sit down with all involved and discover what has really been going on.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
But how will they do that? The students aren't going to confess the whole truth to the adults. That's why adults have such a distorted view of kids and teenagers.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
We're living in the age of paranoia. Enough said.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Well this all seems pretty reasonable. While past incidents involving "Death Notes" made by kids have often seemed overblown at best, I think you've definitely crossed into genuinely concerning territory when you've got a kid actually writing down dates and causes of death for their fellow students. Certainly that's something that demands to be taken seriously and investigated. Evidently there was no real intent to act on this and thus I hope the punishment isn't too disproportionate. But pending that, I really have no issue with how this was handled.

I do agree that once the students goes into writing down dates and times of how the other kids will die you need to take things seriously. You need to sit down with them and talk to them. Find out what has made them feel this way. Let them know that perhaps keeping a diary of other students they want dead is not a good solution. Actually work to try and improve the situation. I don't agree entirely with how the school handled this. Blowing it out of proportion and/or having the media get a hold of it only serves to make that kid's life a living hell now.

Now the article doesn't even say if the names were there because the student was bullied. That does seem like the most likely reason however. Running with that logical theory imagine being that kid and being bullied, having the "death note" as a sort of release, and then having it all blasted in the media. Sure the article didn't list any names but every kid in that school/town will know who it is. The kid is going to be hounded endlessly now and bullied even more now, if they were before, more than likely. The school should have brought the kid's parents in for a sit down with him privately to find out the situation. Much sooner than this obviously. Now the kid is probably going to be a social outcast for the most part, and any depression issues they have will probably worsen without some sort of counseling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3