• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Little Busters! + Refrain (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Yay for a spoiler[happy ending]! Key style. I did feel some of the emotions that Riki and Rin is going through in the first half of this episode. spoiler[Kyousuke is a hero tbh for delaying the leak on that bus.]

Of course, spoiler[Riki and Rin are also heroes for pulling their friends out of danger. Seems like everyone is happy in the end so yay.]

8/10 for the ending. I can't wait for EX!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I thought the show was pretty unremarkable overall. I don't know whether it was a problem with the story or the adaptation, but I'm assuming the former. With all the hype surrounding it (equal or surpassing Clannad), I expected something that would make it stand strong on some level, but I just couldn't find it anywhere.

From the start, the entire school setting just felt like a sandbox full of weird scenarios and was pretty lifeless for the most part. It became clear in Refrain that it was all spoiler[a fabricated world], but that didn't change the fact that the entire setting just felt stale and dead.

The plot felt very artificial as well. Everything was so objective-based that some of their lines sounded like they were reading it from an MMORPG quest log. The same happened with Clannad (I couldn't be bothered by all the various routes in the story), though it wasn't as explicit and luckily that wasn't what made it stand above and beyond other shows. LB seemed to take the least interesting aspects of Clannad and amplified the "unique" (and by that I mean downright weird) scenarios of the various girls and that's about it. The MC had little interesting growth and he was just uninteresting overall. The friendship among the group was dry and I didn't feel any strong bonds (bromance or whatever) among anyone.

I'm having trouble thinking of some redeeming qualities the show had to close off my comments. I'll edit this later if I can think of any.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 (Refrain), Episode 13 (final)

Well I like the ending, even if I find the idea that spoiler[absolutely no one died] to be a real stretch. And it kind of throws away the concept that all of spoiler[them except Riki and Rin were already in Limbo into that they were just the least injured]. Although I am happy that the ending is not quite a deus ex machine, no overpowering force solved the situation for them, and apparently all the spoiler[Little Buster managed to keep their memories intact from the series].

I do feel straight away by this ending that I could rate this series higher than the first, this was a real conclusion to the series. But at the same time with all the problems present in the series I can't say it is too great. But we had Rin and Riki coupling, even if it was super awkward. But a lot of the female cast had a little time this season. But Kengo and Masato got some development, even if confusing and felt really late. But the ending was great, seeing all the spoiler[Little Busters have fun at the beach with "Little Buster!" playing, Mio taking pictures, and then Masato taking the camera and taking pictures of her]. It was the perfect end. Very good rating, just making it and with the proviso you somewhat enjoyed the first as a whole I would say it is only Good. I still think it is as a whole weaker than Clannad, Kanon, Angel Beats, and Air.

Also, a random thought. They spoiler[survived a bus accident], so lets let the spoiler[guy who was in a coma drive the bus of students].
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
Now I'm going to compare this adaptation to the original media VN.

The show (both last season and Refrain) cut a lot of footage, maybe too much perhaps. They didn't include some of the scenes that I thought most VN fans would want to see it being animated (e.g. spoiler[ Kyousuke cs. tried to run a simulation of how to hit on girls when Riki tried to confess to Kurugaya]) And a lot of things were left unanswered. If anyone's not getting the idea of what happened between Koshiki Miyuki and Kengo, in the VN spoiler[Miyuki did really die before the bus accident because Kengo wasn't able to do anything back then, and he deeply regretted it. Thus Kyousuke's using "Miyuki" in the baseball match was really a cheap trick. He wanted to remind Kengo to Miyuki whom he couldn't save before.]

For the endings, I think JC Staff did a really good job to make it head straight to the True End, because spoiler[the hospital scene where Riki and Rin were truly the only survivors would end up as Deus Ex Machina], just like spoiler[Nagisa's and Ushio's death] in Clannad AS. Because, if they put that scene, I bet a lot of fans would react like spoiler["Isn't it possible that the "True" End is actually just a fabricated world Rin and Riki created? Thus it's actually just them averting their eyes from reality."]
And actually the scene right before the ad break spoiler[Riki, Kyousuke and Rin were really close to the explosion] and after the ad break they spoiler[safely return to their usual days without any scratch], didn't eliminate the possibility of the theory above. Which is why, the drama CD was needed spoiler[ - Kyousuke telling Riki that they're indeed not just dreaming]

Also, they didn't say anything about it, but Kyousuke's spoiler[long recovery] actually wasn't because he's really badly spoiler[injured], but becausespoiler[he often sneaked out from the hospital to take a driver's license] That's why he was able to pull of such magnificent jump after the spoiler[recovery]. That's right, don't worry that they'll go through another spoiler[accident], guys.
They also didn't show it that spoiler[most of the girls were actually had a lot of injury too, like broken leg, arm and such.], so they actually didn't left spoiler[unscratched] at all.

For this overall adaptation, I guess I'll give it 8/10. I think perhaps Maeda and Key thought that it'll be a 26-episode anime, so Maeda created another song Mezameta Asa ni wa Kimi ga Tonari ni (TV Ver.) but it was left unused (Or perhaps they'll use it for EX?). I also had the problem with JC staff handling the music, like how overused "Unused Track 3" was in the first season, and "Song for Friends" in Refrain. LitBus has beautiful soundtracks and with a lot of remixes and rearranges, but JC was not good enough to put the available soundtracks in the right moment. I like the Boys Don't Cry remix in the baseball game though, it kinda reminds me with Onaji Takami e Remix in Clannad's Basketball game.

Anyway, Little Busters! is not over yet. We still have EX, and actually they have a lot of Short / Side stories available in the artbooks, which they later released for Android. I hope someone will gladly translate the stories.

EDIT:
The new Little Busters! EX preview is here! I think they rearranged Little Busters! again for the OP, and I definitely looking forward for the new OP animation!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:

For the endings, I think JC Staff did a really good job to make it head straight to the True End, because spoiler[the hospital scene where Riki and Rin were truly the only survivors would end up as Deus Ex Machina], just like spoiler[Nagisa's and Ushio's death] in Clannad AS.

A supernatural, "miracle" solution to a problem does NOT automatically equal Deus Ex Machina. Clannad's ending is not one because the solution to the problem is CENTRAL to the story. From the first episode of the first season every scene with the "robot" in the other world and every light that raises into the air after a good deed is done for a girl points to what happens in the end.

a Deus Ex Machina is a solution that comes out of nowhere and is used when a writer paints himself into a corner and can't use the parts of the story that have already been introduced, so something completely new has to be introduced.

From you description of thespoiler[ "wishing star"] solution, it would qualify as one, not because it is magical and miraculous, but because spoiler[an off-hand comment about a magical hair bauble does not make a good basis for a miraculous solution. It comes out of nowhere.]

spoiler[A solution in which they alter the outcome of the bus crash by repeating it multiple times to get the desired outcome could have maybe worked as natural progression of the story and a miraculous solution that wouldn't really be a D-E-M (transfering the abilities of the fantasy world into the "real world"). But it would have been exceedingly difficult to work out]

Quote:

They also didn't show it that spoiler[most of the girls were actually had a lot of injury too, like broken leg, arm and such.], so they actually didn't left spoiler[unscratched] at all.

In an accident that should be fatal, cleanly broken bones do not really qualify as lingering injuries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
well, I'm really conflicted about that ending and agree with Yttrbio's and Spastic Minnow's thoughts on the matter. However, I just watched the OVA and that was pretty damn hilarious. easily the best part of the show, for me at least.
Akito Kinomoto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
I wasn't terribly impressed with the first season at all. Thank goodness Little Busters! Refrain was such a big improvement. More thoughts below...
--
Hanging around the anime community often makes it impossible to get away from certain shows. Take Little Busters! as an example. When I first watched it, I was disappointed. Though it was enjoyable, the lack of care on the storytelling and presentation was too much to ignore.

Which makes me proud to say that Little Busters! Refrain is an improvement over the first season in every way imaginable. Gone was the fanservice the first season used which it never needed at all, and present was a true sense of unity among the childhood friends than the first season had with its entire cast. Komari, Mio, Haruka, and Kud are likable characters, but their story arcs didn’t contribute to the series’ theme of friendship. In contrast, the childhood friends—Rikki, Rin, Masato, Kengo, and Kyousuke—contribute to the series’ theme of friendship because what one of them goes through affects at least one of the others if not all of them. It’s a small thing, but it does so much to making them feel like real friends, who share their laughter and bare their burdens.

And it’s quite a burden the childhood friends have in Little Busters! Refrain. We learn how they became friends, but the real treat is seeing their friendship tested. They’ll challenge each other over what they believe is the right thing to do, they’ll do anything necessary to protect each other, and sometimes they’ll fall in love. And in addition to being an emotionally charged drama, Little Busters! Refrain is also, in a sense, psychological. The story will be disorienting and nearly impossible to make sense of at times, such as Masato’s story arc, but considering a certain plot point central to the entire series, this is actually a compliment. Little Busters! Refrain’s story is unique in this aspect.

The only major problem with the story is the early episodes with Yuiko’s story arc. Her problems with the story arc’s antagonists are resolved as quickly as they started without learning much of the actual problem. On the other hand, Yuiko’s chemistry with Rikki is surprisingly honest, compared to a later couple that’s just plain awkward. Yuiko has an underwhelming story arc compared to the childhood friends or even the four heroines of season one, but as a character she stands out at least as much as the rest of them. Little Busters! may stumble on storytelling, but it doesn’t fumble with its characters. But the storytelling problems unfortunately extend to the presentation, as stormy weather suddenly hits in Little Busters! Refrain the moment Yuiko’s story arc starts in proper. The stormy weather cliché itself isn’t a bad thing, it just needs to be used after the drama has been built-up, not as a start to it.

But the visuals themselves are very good, not just because they’re clean and vibrant, but because they’re creative. The ending to Yuiko’s story arc is fittingly transparent and ethereal. The writing on the classroom blackboard becomes a smoking gun of foreshadowing in hindsight. The beginning to Masato’s story arc turns the characters into mere outlines to show the disconnect between them. Kyousuke’s story arc is presented in a way that makes it literal and figurative at the same time. And Rikki and Rin’s last serious conversation with each other is saturated with a golden bright monochrome to show their heart-to-heart.

But the presentation really stands out on its music. In addition to just being very good, it’s also timed impeccably well. The one-note and low pitch but memorable “Nothing Happened in This World” fits the most oppressive scenes in the show. The techno organ of “Slow Curve” is as normal as the scenes it plays in. The slightly melancholic and fully ironic “Boys Don’t Cry” plays during parts of the male characters’ back story. The soothing but sad “Guiding Light” is most noticeable during a scene where Rikki learns something about Kyousuke. The winter wonderland flavor of “Thin Chronicle” is peaceful on its own, but discomforting for where it’s used in the show. The high pitch and quick tempo for “Sunshine after the Rain” is appropriate for a track that accompanies the normal scenes after the drama clears. The lyrics of the nostalgic but tragic “Hanabi” beautifully fit the scene it plays in. But the standout piece among the standout soundtrack is “Song for Friends,” not because it’s anything sad, but because it’s uplifting, because it plays during the resolution of the characters’ story arcs, because it embodies the very essence of Little Busters!. Something the first season got consistently right was the music, and it’s even better here with how well-timed the tracks are, giving an extra punch to the story.

But make no mistake that the story isn’t terribly complex. It’s simple, but simply told really well from beginning to end, and that’s what matters. Once Little Busters! Refrain passes Yuiko’s story arc, it’s a smooth ride through Hell and back that keeps viewers fastened to their seats with a swerving mystery and at times, roadblock characters. Those characters will undoubtedly do things that seem rash or extreme, but it’s never shock value for the sake of it, because there’s always an idea of what makes them tick. It makes them overcoming themselves or overcoming each other all the more rewarding.

The end to this ride, to Little Busters! Refrain, will assuredly divide viewers, but regardless the journey itself is its own experience. An experience of friendship. An experience of betterment. An experience of life~
--
And, guys, gals, I don't know about you, but as someone who hated Clannad's ending, Little Busters!' finale was fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
What an adorable ending!! I'll have to screencap those photos later.

I'm thoroughly satisfied with the choices that were made. I'm glad that spoiler[character development did not have to be sacrificed to keep everyone alive and happy]

I was scared though. I really thought for an instant that spoiler[Kyousuke might die]
And I would've bawled if that happened. Anime cry

I'm glad we got a spoiler[flashback of Riki's past, tragic as it was.]
Car crash.
IT'S ALWAYS A CAR CRASH!

Quote:
I didn't feel any strong bonds (bromance or whatever) among anyone.

................o____O I'm sorry but were you paying attention at ALL?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
Little Busters! EX (OVA), Episode 1

So it looks like the world of Little Busters just collided with Angel Beats. That is with the inclusion of spoiler[guns, weird shadow monsters, secret passages inside the school, death threats, and I think there was a look a guy that feels reminiscent of Naoi]. Now we just need to find out that the student council president is not so bad after all, but based of the OP we will have to settle with the public morals chairman.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
Little Busters! EX (OVA), Episode 4

Sad And so that is the first arc of EX, and it managed to get some tears, actually was quite sad with the reveal. Saya was spoiler[really a childhood friend of Riki, Aya, who lived in warzones and suddenly died by a sudden landslide]. Kyousuke was spoiler[reading a certain, and when he created the world to teach Riki] he accidentally spoiler[brought in Aya's soul as a character from the manga, she was influenced by that character while he was trying to get her out since she didn't belong]. The ending is pretty vague, but I got a feeling it spoiler[was just a dream], but a beautiful spoiler[dream]. All pretty sad as it looked like she and Riki might have been great together, but with the way the series was we had an idea of how things could go.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Typical post-Air Maeda. spoiler[Take out the stupid time travel mention and just have Aya waking up a teenager's body. Sure, it's cliche, but it's at least not as idiotic.]

I didn't enjoy the anime nearly as much as I enjoyed playing the route. Though I'm sure a dungeon crawler has to be one of the harder genres of video games to animate.
bekam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
I have a question about REFRAIN:
Does the TV version have any censorship?.
junmaedaisjesus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Judging by my username, you can probably tell I really like Little Busters, lol.

However, this adaptation was pretty weak. There really wasn't a single point where I felt like my life was in shambles from watching like Clannad/Air/Kanon/Angel Beats. It had some strong points, but also considering how large the cast is and how many routes there are, including EX, it seems a lot of characters were really undeveloped.

I am happy that it was seen through until the end, which I would like to believe was due to the incredibly large fanbase who wanted to see this animated from it's creation over 5 years ago.

Refrain was also an improvement and ALMOST made me sincerely sad for the characters near the end.

Now if only the dvds weren't so darned expensive... and for half-seasons. I paid $40 each for Clannad and Clannad AS, which was definitely worth it, but $45 for the first 13 episodes of Little Busters... sorry, no. At least not yet. Sigh....

*Crawls back to delusional corner to think about the 1/10000000000 chance that someday Kyoto Animation will redo this with proper justice, ala Kanon 2006*
bekam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
hitler wrote:
I have a question about REFRAIN:
Does the TV version have any censorship?.

Any answer?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 32 of 32