• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Edo Eights and Heartbreak

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thought the Trigun dub was terrible? I never knew people actually liked it. Wolfwood and Vash sound exactly the same, and whoever did Milly's voice was absolutely appalling.

Oh well. Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has them.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Am I the only one who thought the Trigun dub was terrible? I never knew people actually liked it. Wolfwood and Vash sound exactly the same, and whoever did Milly's voice was absolutely appalling.

Lolwut.

JYB and Jeff Nimoy don't sound alike whatsoever. JYB is very, very distinct in pretty much everything he's in, including this. And Milly's VA sounds a lot like her Japanese one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shaterri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I admit, I'm kind of curious to rewatch Trigun and see how it holds up - I remember being largely positive about the series as a whole and quite impressed with the ending. I can't quite justify buying even the cheap set just for the reminder, though, and it'd be hard to find the viewing time between Wandering Son, Fractale, Spice and Wolf S2, Last Exile with friends, and so on... really, a CN rerun (the way they seem to bring back Big O every six months or so) would be a perfect low-pressure way to dip back in, but it seems unlikely that'll happen, alas.

As far as PS3 games go, I'll throw my weight behind Heavy Rain and Little Big Planet both, but for me the big attraction - and the reason I bought a PS3 in the first place - is actually the downloadable titles. Flower is simply jaw-dropping both in visuals and in its sheer elegance (that a game with no characters and no dialog can offer such a stunning emotional arc is boggling in its own right), by far the most enjoyable gaming experience I've had in the last few years; and games like Everyday Shooter and especially Pixeljunk Eden really offer experiences unlike anything else out there. Given your professed love for Tatami Galaxy I'd wholeheartedly recommend them for sheer audiovisual delight, but neither's any slouch on the game front either. Heck, you can even grab Braid and Castle Crashers just in case you haven't already played them to death on 360/PC!

ETA: Forgot to mention this the first time around, but as ever, great pun in the title! I missed it until I reread the article...

Last edited by Shaterri on Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Wow...where did this person find, not only the TV series, but also the two Cardcaptor Sakura movies? And on DVD no less!!!

The movies were (and likely still are) a lot easier to find at reasonable prices.

You're right! I was too lazy to look on other websites besides RightStuff. XD
I found it at [some bootleg site] for about $10!! ^__^

[EDIT: Bootleg URL removed ~Zalis]
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of PS3 games, you may want to give Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage a shot.

It may have got terrible reviews, but I'm pretty sure that's because there's a grand conspiracy in the American game-reviewing community to always give DW games terrible reviews. It's also one of the best DW games ever, IMO.
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I remember picking up the Trigun series in the tin box sets some years ago...and never watching it again. Looks like it's on the to-watch list, particularly after seeing the movie. It was a show that took a while to crank up, but the payoff was worth my while. Sure, the animation isn't that great, but that's far from the defining characteristic of a good show.

As for Girls Bravo, it was the most fun I'd had the whole year in which it saw DVD release...to the point that I picked it up when Robert had it on sale this past Christmas. And O'Brien's Fukuyama was a big part of why, especially his interactions with Koyomi ("I need you to warm the cockles of my heart!" "I don't want anything to do with your cockles!"), many of which were priceless. And if you can't laugh at the ping-pong and body-switching episodes, I feel terrible for you.

I"ll check out the Edo Rocket show when/if it hits Netflix. I've heard enough buzz about it that I'm inclined to give it a shot, despite it taking a lot to get me interested in shows set anywhere in Japanese history.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:15 am Reply with quote
I liked Trigun, but really didn't like some thing's about it.
I didn't like the dub. I think that might be in part because (I think) Vash is overly wimpy whiny at times. Alot of the villians sounded dumb IMO. I liked Vash's character design but some of the villians were hard to take(buck teeth and big bulging foreheads), bleah. Just as much as Vash too goody goody goody, Knives was too evil evil evil. I don't know if it quite fits the frame of Cain and Abel, but I do know that I have always thought Vash was just like Abel Nightroad from Trinity Blood(who does have a brother named Cain). Am I the only one who sees a similarity?

They both hide their true (powerful)nature by setting expectations low behind a kind of silly mask.

I think one of the things that really caught my attention was the opening scene where the bar gets shot to bits. Still a great bit of animation IMO.
darcerin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
I started to watch Trigun, and my rule of thumb is, "If it doesn't suck me in by the first or second episode, I'm not going to watch the rest". Trigun didn't suck me in, and therefore I stopped midway through the second episode.

Is it overrated? Possibly. I came in knowing how popular it was with anime fans, and came away disappointed that I wasn't part of the crowd this time.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
it's not overrated at all. it just didn't pass your stupid test. after 1 and 1/2 episodes you can judge the series? really? that's like me reviewing a movie after watching 5 minutes of it.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

BTW, Ms. Erin. It wasn't in 2000 when anime started switching to digital animation cells. It was actually in 1999. Cowboy Bebop was actually the first offical production to be done in digital drawn cells. (though it was made in late 1998) it paved the way for future anime to be produced digitally.

I got that information from someone at Gonzo, when I visited their studios. I think she was trying to say, more or less, that from 2000 on every production had moved to digital cells. Sure, before 2000 some shows may have used digital cells for part or all of the production, but it's safe to say that post-2000 cells were out of use.

GVman wrote:
On the subject of PS3 games, you may want to give Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage a shot.

DONE. I think Daryl of AWO loved that game.
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
I started to watch Trigun, and my rule of thumb is, "If it doesn't suck me in by the first or second episode, I'm not going to watch the rest". Trigun didn't suck me in, and therefore I stopped midway through the second episode.

Trigun the anime really can't be judged until episode 5. Episode 5 contains the events the manga started at and thus is where it actually starts being Trigun. The character-fleshing filler episodes that make up the first 4 were done because the director wanted to spend more time developing the characters and preferred the goofy facade of Vash, turning him into a comedic character instead of one who pretends to be comedic to hide his deep inner pain. In a way it damages the audience's perception of the character, making it harder to want to see more, yet it also increases the impact when the truth about Vash is revealed in the 2nd half.
Nephtis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:40 am Reply with quote
Fantastic. I get interested in a title (Oh! Edo Rocket) from your column and I can't get it. Red Ant fell apart and Madman haven't picked this up...stupid Australia!

It can sit in my want to see list in case it ever surfaces here.
Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5