• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Magic Users Club [2012-05-07]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoePianist

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Other than the rare Sailor Moon DVD sets, Matt B. has a pretty underwhelming collection Confused
Maigraith

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
JoePianist wrote:
Other than the rare Sailor Moon DVD sets, Matt B. has a pretty underwhelming collection Confused

...so? I like the collection, some fun things in there. How's Iron Wok Jan? Been meaning to check it out just never gotten the chance so far.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Yes they can, because this is a review of volume 2. Keep the discussion to stuff about volume 2. If you can't, then don't say anything. Shouldn't be a hard concept to follow.

Well, I see why this makes sense, but Madoka is a case where everything in volumes 1 and 2 prepare for volume 3, so... nearly all things from volumes 1 and 2 are inter-connected, back-and-forth, with the things in volume 3. That's usually why most of the Madoka discussions for previous volumes end up leading into discussion of volume 3 or the series as a whole.

On that note, I know it bothers some people, so I think we should keep discussion of volume 3 to a minimum and only cite it when necessary. At least, as opposed to letting it all fall into volume 3 discussion-only again...

--------

erinfinnegan wrote:
I hope Madoka Magica has a sad ending! It's building to that. A happy ending would seem inappropriate based on the tone so far.

It might be. It might not be. If you haven't noticed already, it's good at doing the unexpected, so you might be better off not having expectations in the first place...
All I'll say is that the conclusion is GODLY epic. It's quite the ending. I hope you like it. =P
superdry

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
If you think the faces of the Madoka girls are too wide, I hope you never watch Hidamari Sketch.

I don't know about the anime, but the original was drawn by the same artist. But, throw me in the camp of being indifferent towards Ume Aoki's designs. It's cute, but don't care much for it.

erinfinnegan wrote:

I don't like how Kyubey has ears growing out of his ears, but you're not supposed to like Kyubey.

I personally liked Kyuubey, but mainly the character design. It's such a cute little cat like creature with that awesome fluffy tail (I guess I have a soft spot for cute cat like animals due to Ryo-ohki).
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
I personally liked Kyuubey, but mainly the character design. It's such a cute little cat like creature with that awesome fluffy tail (I guess I have a soft spot for cute cat like animals due to Ryo-ohki).

I do like that he is fluffy and cute like a cross between a ferret and Persian cat, but I hate the ears. There were creatures with those weird ear-arm-things in that last season of Slayers and in The Girl Who Leapt Through Space (I think...).

Maigraith wrote:
How's Iron Wok Jan? Been meaning to check it out just never gotten the chance so far.

I love Iron Wok Jan. I read the last half of the series when I was on Dr Master's manga reviewer mailing list, but I'm still missing some volumes from the middle. Jason Thompson and Shaenon Garrity's takes on the series are both right on.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I quit HeroClix with the simultaneous realization that the player with the most expensive collection tends to win

I wouldn't say I had the exact same experience, for a while I had a modest collection but kept up with the more hardcore fans just fine, THEN Heroclix started bringing in more cards that affect the battlefield and it felt like whoever had the best one of those had a significant advantage so one had to buy new sets if they wanted to keep up with the competition.

For that reason, I peferred the Marvel/DC Vs. system card game, as old sets could perform just as well as new decks. Even with the numerous sets that followed, my decks of X-men, Avengers, and JLA/JLI held up just fine.

It's a shame, as I've recently gotten back into superhero comics (looking forward to the DC "New 52" trades coming out), but all my friends now who read comics never played either game so even though I kepy all my minitaures and cards they still can't be used. Sad

Also, even though I never played the game or knew anyone else who played it, I got the massive Horrorclix "Cthulhu" figure for cheap from a friend, it's pretty cool-looking.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Osaka wrote:
I noticed typos and grammatical errors in this column. Where's the editor? Is he doodling or just tweeting nonsense?

Whoa, what? It's more helpful if you point out specific mistakes than dolling out insults.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
JoePianist wrote:

Underwhelming? I think his collection is fine. It's a nice moderate amount. Who says anime fans have to have a mountain of manga and anime?

By the way, Matt B. that mosaic of Luigi is cool. You made it out of old Pokemon cards? Good job on it. Cool
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Watch out guys, LotLH has such awful color palettes that it doesn't deserve a dub. FEATHERS? in INDIGO?!? Why I never...

Seriously, that is the only criticism given along with poorly handled comedy in the first couple episodes... which isn't supposed to be comedy.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Having just finished set 1 of Fist of the North Star, I hadn't even made the Rainbow Brite connection, but oh man, it is so there! I mean, ok, so I questioned why every biker gang apparently required all members to have mohawks and how Kenshiro keeps getting shirts and jackets when he destroys one almost every episode and there are no clothing stores in the post-apocalyptic future, but I somehow failed to question the extremely garish colors and outfits the bad guys wear (especially when most of the peasants who aren't mains wear some shade of brown potato sack on them for clothing). Or more, why every single one of them had one, I certainly noticed Joker in the first arc, but since so many of them are short lived (at least in the first arc) maybe it's easy to forget them. But now I do recall finding the Fang Gan refreshing for all wearing brown animal fur.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Am I the only person on this planet who thought that ending oPuella Magi Madoka Magica was sad.

It made me rage. It was genius, but I freaking ragequit. It took me a while to come to terms with it. I hope the movies have an alt ending ala End of Evangelion. Really, there are so many parallels between Evangelion and Madoka.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
This thread is not about the ending of Madoka Magica.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Madoka is definitely marathonable. It's a great show, and I'm glad you're enjoying it, Erin! Very Happy

House husbands/stay-at-home dads in anime & manga might be an interesting topic as part of a panel. Besides Madoka's dad, there's Yoshimori's dad in Kekkaishi and, well, I can only think of Lone Wolf & Cub, but I'm sure there are more.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some characters speak in highly decorative, colloquial English, in sharp contrast to Ryner's modern slang

Erm, colloquial English = modern slang.

Colloquial: "Characteristic of or appropriate to the spoken language or to writing that seeks the effect of speech; informal. 2. Relating to conversation; conversational."

Quote:
salaryman-style mother

Was going to query this, but I guess "office lady" has more of a part-timer, work-until-pregnant implication?
thenix

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Yay my shelves made the picture section! I'll have to read the article later though. Thanks for any compliments I get for my collection, although it's more manga than anime. I didn't know the Sailor Moons were rare although it makes sense. I love Iron Wok Jan, I need to keep collecting though, I'm working through it really slow. The CD spindles are full of anime, I'm sorry I couldn't show it all spicifically! >.<
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4