• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Magic Users Club [2012-05-07]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meygaera

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This thread is not about the ending of Madoka Magica.

THANK YOU

I was worried about the same thing seeing as I haven't watched it yet.

But anyways, lots of hate on FairyTail huh. To be honest, I notice people always relate it to One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and DBZ but I like FairyTail the most out of all these long running shows (I guess that's why people lump them all together?). The reasons being that I don't particular like shounen action shows to begin with, especially when they take themselves too seriously. I think FairyTail is a little bit more on the rambunctious side so to me it's kind like watching Snakes on a Plane and liking it because it's so absurd that noone in their right mind would take it seriously. The other two reasons are less novel, but to be honest, FairyTail has the hottest character designs and I really really enjoy the English dub cast for the show.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
But anyways, lots of hate on FairyTail huh. To be honest, I notice people always relate it to One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and DBZ but I like FairyTail the most out of all these long running shows (I guess that's why people lump them all together?). The reasons being that I don't particular like shounen action shows to begin with, especially when they take themselves too seriously. I think FairyTail is a little bit more on the rambunctious side so to me it's kind like watching Snakes on a Plane and liking it because it's so absurd that noone in their right mind would take it seriously. The other two reasons are less novel, but to be honest, FairyTail has the hottest character designs and I really really enjoy the English dub cast for the show.

First and foremost, it's an adaption of shounen, battle-type, story manga, the same genre as the others you mentioned. So, it is kind of hard to not to do comparisons with those.

Also, I don't see the hatred. I really like Fairy Tail as a whole, but that doesn't mean that there aren't aspects that I do not like. You like it for the fan-service-oriented character designs (though I'm not sure how this is different from Bleach). I could care less about that, but I certainly do think have character designs that are easy on the eyes is a good thing. I like it because I think, despite its flaws, there is a good story there which has potential. I also really like the celtic-rock BGM, which seems not to be a shared opinion by the critics.

I'm sorry but I have trouble with your analogy, Fairy Tail is not presenting itself as light-hearted, episodic like Yu-gi-oh or Pokemon. So, it is not enough to handwave its glaring problems away as being due to being rambunctious or not taking itself seriously. The problem is that it does try to take itself very seriously at times, which is why I think Erin is complaining and I know I am.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
You like it for the fan-service-oriented character designs (though I'm not sure how this is different from Bleach).

Well, I think it comes down to the fact that in Fairy Tail, the female characters really are full equals with the guys. Its got a basically perfect 50/50 gender split among the members of Fairy Tail that matter, and the girls dish out and take just as much punishment as any of the guys. Sure, Natsu generally is the one to land the finishing blow, but only because Erza's usually burned herself out giving him the opening to do so.

And, of course, the real main character is Lucy. And the show has never lost sight of that.

...and the fact that the girls are all really good looking doesn't hurt. Especially since Lucy's clothes tend to get progressively skimpier as an arc wears on.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Tail just never seemed to have any kind of "hook" for me, honestly. It just felt like it was copying the crowd.

Of course, I irrationally hate most fighting shounen anime because they get full-on adaptions while Negima! doesn't (I refuse to accept the existence of those two adaptions).

WHERE IS MY NEGIMA! ANIME DAMMIT
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Probably because I was a film major in college...? Anime exists in film and television formats, right? So why not consider it in comparison to films and TV shows, animated or not, from other countries? Why not compare manga to comics from around the world? Surely manga and anime influence artists and directors who are not Japanese, and likewise, creators of manga and anime consume media from outside Japan on occasion.

Even though Shelf Life is such a time commitment that perhaps 95% of what I watch is anime, I do occasionally have time to watch something else. I suspect the hardest-core readers of the column may only watch anime to the exclusion of all else, but surely they've seen some live action content at some point.

I hope you're not offended. I kind of got the idea behind the fact you link a lot of non-anime material. It's just kind of distracting when you're reviewing something and then have to stop to look at a link to something else that I have to see to understand where you're drawing your comparisons from. Of course a lot of what you reference is stuff I do know, but there's an occasional unknown to me. XP
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Erin, were you thinking of Celty at all when Dullahan placed third in the Derby? He was my pick because of the Durarara tie-in and my Irish heritage.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Fairy Tail just never seemed to have any kind of "hook" for me, honestly. It just felt like it was copying the crowd.

Of course, I irrationally hate most fighting shounen anime because they get full-on adaptions while Negima! doesn't (I refuse to accept the existence of those two adaptions).

Considering a certain someone took their ball and went home, I wouldn't hold my breath about this happening anytime soon.
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Battle of Fairy Tail had me rolling my eyes and thinking back on my brief time playing HeroClix. I quit HeroClix with the simultaneous realization that the player with the most expensive collection tends to win, and that I don't care which Marvel or DC super hero is strongest.

That's actually never really been true. I've been playing Clix since around the time they first came out. The powers that a piece has are often just as, if not more important than the combat values that a HeroClix figure has. Your opponent can have an army of really strong characters, but if you've got a team that focuses on just one power, something like the Poison power, you very likely have the upper hand on your enemy.
Aside from that, it's no longer just "Marvel or DC". HeroClix has since expanded to include an Indy set that features characters from companies like TopCow and 2000AD, and most recently, it has expanded to include Lord of the Rings, Street Fighter, Halo, Gears of War 3, and Star Trek.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

My Magister Magi Negi is a harem fantasy ecchi adventure parody which trumps your shounen fighter Negima!. Not that it's any likelier to get an anime, it'd just be more entertaining with actual rewatch value.

As for Fairly Tail, I'd have to care about One Piece to get into it. For One Piece, I'd probably have to be a fan of Bleach. In order to stomach Bleach, I'd have to subject myself to Naruto. For Naruto, there's...

It's just not worth it; That's over 1000 episodes, I think. To save time: Hero starts fight, hero loses, hero gets strong, hero wins.

The end. Repeat, change the order, make allusions to other Weekly Shonen Jump manga, whatever. Change the trappings to fit whatever hook you want: Pirates! RPG party! Shikigami! Ninjas! Martial Artists... but now that's just boring.

It's all so boring...

Magical Madoka? I'm still waiting for the whole thing to be released before talking about it. Waiting, waiting, waiting...

Oh look, a DVD set with an entire series on it. Amazing, I didn't know they could do that. I'll guess I'll watch that instead. Madoka's in my Hulu queue, all of Aniplex of America is in my Hulu queue. However, I only watch shows online to see if I want to buy them but there's no point since I won't afford their releases.

Yes, won't. If I can't support a business model then I won't support it.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
I hope Madoka Magica has a sad ending! It's building to that. A happy ending would seem inappropriate based on the tone so far.

I think as stated, bittersweet is the best way to describe it. Will save further commentary for after you've finished the show.

erinfinnegan wrote:
I don't like how Kyubey has ears growing out of his ears, but you're not supposed to like Kyubey.

I think it's safe to say this after this volume (after episode 8 in particular). There is some interesting trivia here about those "so we heard u liek ears so we put some ears in your ears so you can hear while you hear" extra ears.

She (Aoki) kind of alludes to this during one of her conversations on the episode commentaries (but doesn't go into detail as it would have been a spoiler at that point in the show); when Ume Aoki was asked to do Kyubey's design, spoiler[she knew something (vague, I suppose, at that time so early in the project) about the whole incubator/egg/gem/seed thing and his design (specifically his long ears) is intended to take pointers from human uterus/ovaries.] I never really made the connection until reading about it much later, though (and now I cannot unsee...). I forget where I saw it, maybe Juno knows, as he follows the staff/production trivia a little closer than I do.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
I don't like how Kyubey has ears growing out of his ears, but you're not supposed to like Kyubey.

I think it's safe to say this after this volume (after episode 8 in particular). There is some interesting trivia here about those "so we heard u liek ears so we put some ears in your ears so you can hear while you hear" extra ears.

She (Aoki) kind of alludes to this during one of her conversations on the episode commentaries (but doesn't go into detail as it would have been a spoiler at that point in the show); when Ume Aoki was asked to do Kyubey's design, spoiler[she knew something (vague, I suppose, at that time so early in the project) about the whole incubator/egg/gem/seed thing and his design (specifically his long ears) is intended to take pointers from human uterus/ovaries.] I never really made the connection until reading about it much later, though (and now I cannot unsee...). I forget where I saw it, maybe Juno knows, as he follows the staff/production trivia a little closer than I do.

I don't remember her saying this, but there's so much material, I'd have to go over some of it again. I'm interested in this, too, so I'll re-watch the commentary track of episode... 2, I believe? I think she was in episode 11 or 12 as well. I don't have "production notes" and some other material, either, so I don't know everything they've said, but if it's translated on the wikia page, I might as well check there as well.
If you ask me, they seem less like "ears" and more like "hands." Kyuubey uses them to spoiler[summon the Soul gem from some of the magical girls (with or without touching, they're usually doing something during those scenes)] and (ep.12 spoiler!) spoiler[help catch some of the grief cubes Homura throws at him] so they're definitely "limbs" of some kind.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Erin says she is frightened by where the show will go next in volume three. Without spoiling anything, I can say that the show is still dark but the strongest episode in the series is yet to come. The other three episodes are pretty darn good too. Also, the story turns out to be not as dark as first thought . . . but that's definitely for the discussion thread for volume three.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4