• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Law Penalizing Downloaders, Criminalizing Ripping Passes in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
How would you differentiate between a digital copy of a video and a ripped video from a dvd? Aren't they the same?
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
the thing is people that rip for personal use aren't going to get caught. how would they since they aren't going to share it with thousands via torrents or whatever. yeah it sounds stupid that they make that illegal, but we all know that the whole "ripping for personal use" or "make a backup copy" type of stuff is just bs that pirates hide behind. the only sensible excuse is if you have kids that fudge up the dvd's you buy for them and then cry that want another one after they ruin the one you already bought them. making a copy for them to play with and ruin makes sense.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
Oh well that's less fun to be had now.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
yeah it sounds stupid that they make that illegal, but we all know that the whole "ripping for personal use" or "make a backup copy" type of stuff is just bs that pirates hide behind.

I find playing just the video file and not having to pop a disc in each time to be super convenient. Even better when you can just skip all of the ads and disc menus and just start right on the film. There's tons of reasons people will rip for personal use that don't involve piracy.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Pirates know what they're getting into when they do what they do. No sympathy.
binarymutant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
In silly Japan merchandise owns you.
kazume

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
Barney from The Simpsons:

"IT BEGIIIINNSSS!!!!"
thomas8166

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
I am not a lawyer (much less one who understands Japanese law), but from what the summary says, it seems to me that the ripping clause of this law applies only to ripping video discs that are protected (e.g., CSS and other forms of DRM) using some method of bypassing the protection (for example using libdecss). If so, then this would allow for ripping an encrypted disc into an encrypted file for personal archival purposes. Can anyone clarify this bit for me?

*Note: one could argue that the normal usage of the term "ripping" entails producing an unencrypted video file. Here, I'm using this term to refer to simply storing the (raw) data directly to a hard drive (like using dd or something similar).
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
maxxjulie wrote:
yeah it sounds stupid that they make that illegal, but we all know that the whole "ripping for personal use" or "make a backup copy" type of stuff is just bs that pirates hide behind.

I find playing just the video file and not having to pop a disc in each time to be super convenient. Even better when you can just skip all of the ads and disc menus and just start right on the film. There's tons of reasons people will rip for personal use that don't involve piracy.

This and the fact that it now becomes impossible to make music videos or parody videos. That's the other way they can track down rippers.
Zopyros

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
Ah well. Saw this coming.
ANNs Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:30 am Reply with quote
The only way the Japanese fascists/statists/control freaks/elitists will have control of their own people is by regulating the Internet. They already control vast amounts of the population through state propaganda(AKA the "Mainstream" corporate media who has a strong relationship with the Government) and already have too many laws in the books. Why more?

Laws dictating copyright are already in place, why do the Dino-fascist politicians and their corporate sponsors feel they need to do more? Draconian laws such as this one will not only curtail artistic freedom and fanworks, but also freedom of speech.

The Japanese citizenry need to rise against this constant attack on their civil liberties and need to start challenging the ever-expanding scope of their own government. If these people continue to be subservient/obedient to "authority", they will wind up as a police state, living in constant fear of prosecution, living as a nation of serfs, bound to the hands of a corrupt government controlled by large corporations, central bankers and the interest of a few.

Last edited by ANNs Citizen on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote
thomas8166 wrote:
I am not a lawyer (much less one who understands Japanese law), but from what the summary says, it seems to me that the ripping clause of this law applies only to ripping video discs that are protected (e.g., CSS and other forms of DRM) using some method of bypassing the protection (for example using libdecss). If so, then this would allow for ripping an encrypted disc into an encrypted file for personal archival purposes. Can anyone clarify this bit for me?

*Note: one could argue that the normal usage of the term "ripping" entails producing an unencrypted video file. Here, I'm using this term to refer to simply storing the (raw) data directly to a hard drive (like using dd or something similar).
A byte-level copy of a BD wouldn't give you a playable disc, though(I'm not even sure if dd could see the BD-ROM mark in the first place), so this provision effectively bans any personal backups of Blu-ray shows.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
the thing is people that rip for personal use aren't going to get caught. how would they since they aren't going to share it with thousands via torrents or whatever. yeah it sounds stupid that they make that illegal, but we all know that the whole "ripping for personal use" or "make a backup copy" type of stuff is just bs that pirates hide behind. the only sensible excuse is if you have kids that fudge up the dvd's you buy for them and then cry that want another one after they ruin the one you already bought them. making a copy for them to play with and ruin makes sense.

I ripped copies of a couple of my DVDs a while back in order to add subtitles to them. I could (probably) watch the original discs with the subtitles on the computer without any ripping, but not on a regular DVD player.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quote
I don't believe this will have it's intended effect, indeed it may have no effect at all.

It makes ripping illegal in Japan, but it does not make it impossible nor does it have any significant impact in international jurisdictions.

Most people who would obey the law likely would not be ripping DVD's or BD's in the first place. Those that are doing so for profit in violation of the law are unlikely to change. Those in the margins will have to make choices, but are also unlikely to change.

All the Japanese legislators had to do was to look at how well Alcohol Prohibition worked in the U.S. in the early 20th century or the various controlled substances laws work now. They are not stupid, so I'm sure they knew the likely futility of this. In all probability they weren't allowed a true choice in the matter.

It's just sad to see such a waste of time and effort.

Mark Gosdin
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:36 am Reply with quote
And Japan insulates itself from money again.

Nothing to see here folks, longest economical suicide ever in progress.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5