• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Final Roster + Guide.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
This tournament will focus on characters who, through their actions or by the example they set, prove themselves worthy of honor and respect. They might perform great deeds, protect people, save lives, act for the well-being of all, or just generally serve as an inspiration to others, and in any case offer an appeal above and beyond their personality quirks and determination.

This category is not synonymous with "protagonist," as far from all protagonists in anime are actually deserving of honor of respect or even really do anything that could qualify them as a hero. Characters do not have to be pure of heart to qualify, but they must present commendable traits that ultimately outweigh their iniquities. Any character that could reasonably be considered an anti-hero does not qualify, and characters widely-accepted as such (Shinji Ikari or Light Yagami, for instance) will not even be listed if nominated.

Nomination Standards:
1. Characters who appear in any anime movie, series, or one-shot OVA/ONA are eligible. In the case of TV series, the equivalent of a full season (or the entire series run, if less than 12 episodes) must be available, so series which started on Japanese TV in January 2009 or later are not eligible.
2. Content about a character which does not appear in animated form may not be considered in nominating or voting for or against the character; I should not see something like an "in the manga/light novels, xxxx also does this" comment anywhere in this thread, for instance.
3. Any forum member in good standing (i.e. not banned) may participate.
4. A forum member may nominate any number of characters, provided that each conforms to the the standard set above and each nomination is accompanied by a justification of why that character deserves to participate in this tournament. Nominations which lack sufficient justification will not be listed, or allowed to be voted on, until such time as a proper justification is provided. (Please note that this is a different standard than has been set in past tournaments.)
5. A forum member may also vote in favor of or against any number of previously-nominated characters. (In cases where a forum member nominates a character that has already been nominated, it will be treated as a vote in favor.) Supporting votes do not have to be justified, but votes against do.
6. Any nomination or vote in favor counts as 1 point, while a vote against counts as -1 point.
7. A periodically (probably daily) updated list of nominated candidates and their scores will be maintained at the bottom of this post. Characters with a negative score at the time of an update will be dropped from the list, while characters with a score of 0 on two consecutive updates will also be dropped. After the first couple of days, characters who increase or decrease in score since the last update will be indicated with a + or -.
8. Nominations and voting will continue until 7 p.m. on Sunday March 15th or until 48 hours have passed without a new nomination or vote, whichever comes first. At that time the top 128 scoring nominees will be set as the tournament field. In the event of a tie on scores (and there's always a tie), fewest negative votes will be the first tiebraker. If a second tiebraker is needed (and it usually is), a run-off may be done or I'll just make a judgment call on who should make the cut, depending on the situation.
9. Although I think it's unlikely to be an issue with this subject, no more than three characters from a given title or franchise may participate in the tournament. In the event that more than three characters make the cut, only the top three scorers will be allowed and the next highest-scoring characters from other titles will take the place of any that are dropped, so please consider carefully who the best options are if you have multiple options from a title.

NOTE: The nomination and voting process is now done. The participants for the tournament are listed below. Please also see this post for important information.

NOTE #2: Pairings for the tournament, which will begin the night of Monday March 23rd, are available here.

FINAL PARTICIPANT ROSTER
Vash the Stampede, Trigun
Abe no Mashiro, Shonen Onmyoji
Age, Heroic Age
Ai Tanabe, Planetes
Alice L. Melvin, Pumpkin Scissors
Allison Whittington, Allison and Lillia
Amuro Ray, Mobile Suit Gundam
Aramaki Daisuke, Ghost in the Shell
Arika Yumemiya, My-Otome
Arusu, Tweeny Witches
Asato Tsuzuki, Descendants of Darkness
Ashitaka, Princess Mononoke
Ashram, Chronicle of the Heroic. . .
Astro Boy, Astro Boy
Balsa, Moribito
Belldandy, Ah My Goddess!
Chihiro, Spirited Away
Christmas, Kurau Phantom Memory
Clare, Claymore
Claus Valca, Last Exile
D, Vampire Hunter D
Daisaku Kusama, Giant Robo OVA
Dr. Tenma, Monster
Duck, Princess Tutu
Éclair, Kiddy Grade
Edward Elric, FMA
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
Fakir, Princess Tutu
Franz D'epinay, Gankutsuou
Ginji Amano, GetBackers
Goh Saruwatari, Godannar
Gohan, Dragonball Z
Goku, Dragonball Z
Gourry Gabriev, Slayers
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread
Hikaru Shidou, Magic Knight Rayearth
Hitomi Kanzaki, Escaflowne franchise
Honoka, The Third: The Girl With. . .
Ichigo Kurosaki, Bleach
Iria, Iria: Zeiram the Animation
Jane Buxton, Secret of Cerulean Sand
Jessica Edwards, LOGH
Jil, Tower of Druaga
Jimmy Kudo, Case Closed/Det. Conan
Jinto Linn, Crest/Banner of the Stars
Juliet, Romeo x Juliet
Juna Ariyoshi, Earth Girl Arjuna
Kamina, Gurren Lagann
Kamui, X
Karasu, Noein
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin
Kazuma , sCRYed
Kazuma Kuwabara, Yu Yu Hakusho
Keiichi Maebara, When They Cry
Keisei Tagami, Shikabane Hime
Kekko Kamen, Kekko Kamen
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin
Kiba, Wolf's Rain
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7
Kurau, Kurau Phantom Memory
Kurenai Shinkurou , Kure-nai
Lady Oscar, Rose of Versailles
Lafiel, Crest/Banner of the Stars
Lenalee Lee, D. Gray-Man
Leo, Jungle Emperor Leo
Mahoro Ando, Mahoromatic
Mai Tokiha, My-Hime
Mamoru Kusanagi, Blue Seed
Minamoto no Hikaru, Otogi Zoshi
Misaki Kirihara, Darker than Black
Monkey D. Luffy, One Piece
Nagi Kirima, Boogiepop Phantom
Nanoha Takamichi, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Naruto, Naruto
Natsume Takashi, Natsume Yuujunchou
Nausicaa, Nausicaa of the Valley…
Nicholas Wolfwood, Trigun
Noa Izumi, Patlabor
Noriko Takaya, Gunbuster
Oboro, Utawarerumono
Pacifica Casull, Scrapped Princess
Pazu, Castle in the Sky
Porco Rosso, Porco Rosso
Quatre Rabera Winne, Gundam Wing
Relena Peacecraft, Gundam Wing
Renton Thurston, Eureka 7
Robin Sena, Witch Hunter Robin
Roger Smith, Big O
Roy Mustang, FMA
Saito Hiragi, Familiar of Zeo
Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
Sakura Kinomoto, Cardcaptor Sakura
Samatarou Kamiyama, Kamisama Kazoku
Sana Kurata, Kodocha
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
Shannon Casull, Scrapped Princess
Shaoran Li, Cardcaptor Sakura
Shu Maritani, NTHT
Shurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku
Siegfried Kircheis, LOGH
Simon, Gurren Lagann
Soichiro Yagami, Death Note
Sophie, Howl's Moving Castle
Sorata Arisugawa, X/1999
Sousuke Sagara, FMP
Taichi Keaton, Master Keaton
Tatsumi Saiga, Speed Grapher
Toboe, Wolf's Rain
Tochiro, Gun Frontier
Tohma, Fantastic Children
Tohma Kamijo , To Aru Majutsu no Index
Tohru Honda, Fruits Basket
Tsukushi Makino, Boys Over Flowers
Usagi Tsukino, Sailor Moon
Utena, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Van Fanel, Vision of Escaflowne
Van Flyheight, Zoids Chaotic Century
Watanuke Kimihiro, xxxHolic
Yajima Kintaro, Salaryman Kintaro
Yang Wen-Li, LOGH
Yoko Nakajima, Twelve Kingdoms
Yomiko Readman, Read or Die OVA
Yugo Beppu, Yugo the Negotiator
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender
Yuko "Yasako" Okonogi, Denno Coil
Yusuke Urameshi, Yu Yu Hakusho
Yuuki Tokugawa, E's Otherwise

Cut Characters (65)
Alex Louis Armstrong, FMA
Allen Shezar, Vision of Escaflowne
Ash, Pokemon
Aya Mikage, Ceres Celestial Legend
Brandon Heat, Gungrave
Buzam A. Calessa , Vandread
Chise, SaiKano
Colonel Shikishima, Akira
Daisuke Motomiya, Digimon Adventures 02
Detective Maniwa, Paranoia Agent
Eiichiro Kushima, Real Drive
Euphemia, Code Geass
Eve Genoard, Baccano!
Fee Carmichael, Planetes
Gennosuke, Basilisk
Ginko, Mushi-Shi
Hachimaki, Planetes
Hercule/Mr. Satan, DBZ
Holland, Eureka 7
Ikumi Oze, Infinite Ryvius
Inuyasha, Inuyasha
Jin , Samurai Champloo
Judeau, Berserk
Kagome Higurashi, Inuyasha
Kaneda, Akira
Kei Kurono, Gantz
Kouji Aiba, Infinite Ryvius
Kousuke Ueki, The Law of Ueki
Kouta, Elfen Lied
Kyoko, Skip Beat
Lain Iwakura, Serial Experiments Lain
Lind, Ah My Goddess!
Lupin, Lupin III
Lynn Minmei, SDF Macross
Masamichi Haru, Real Drive
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
Oboro, Basilisk
Rosette Christopher, Chrono Crusade
Ryuuji Takasu, Toradora!
Scar, FMA
Shirotusgh Lhadatt, Wings of Honneamise
Shirou Emiya, Fate/Stay Night
Spike, Cowboy Bebop
Suzaku Kururugi, Code Geass
Syaoran Li, Tsubasa Chronicle
Taichi Yagami, Digimon Adventures
Takato Matsuki, Digimon Tamers
Tenchi Masaki, Tenchi Muyo
Thor, Jyu Oh Sei
Totuda Matsuda, Death Note
Yuichi Aizawa, Kanon
Ban, GetBackers, 1
Conan, Future Boy Conan, 1
Daisuke Aurora, Heat Guy J, 1
Hols, Hols: Prince of the Sun, 1
Kadomatsu Yosuke, Zipang, 1
Kan'u, Koihime Muso, 1
Kira Yamato, Gundam SEED, 1
Marlene Angel, Blue Gender, 1
Miaka Yuki, Fushigi Yuki, 1
Sakura Kurigawa, Key The Metal Idol, 1
Shep, Interstella 5555, 1
Soldier Blue, Toward the Terra, 1
Tomoyo Wakagi, Key The Metal Idol, 1
Touya, Ceres Celestial Legend, 1

Last edited by Key on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:48 am; edited 20 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I’ll start off here by posting a few nominations of my own to help set examples for what is expected.

Son Goku, Dragonball Z – To call him noble might be a stretch, but Goku is the epitome of a heroic action figure. He regularly puts his life on the line (and even occasionally dies) to oppose the forces of evil that threaten the innocent, is valiant in action, and is undeniably pure of heart and motivation. He usually gives villains a chance to reform their ways (and accepts them if they do) and even acknowledges when it is time to pass the torch on to his successors, and does his best to make sure that his successors are ready for the job. Don’t let the negative onus DBZ carries dissuade you; he should be one of the tournament’s top contenders.

Shurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku – Shurei is not an action hero and fights no physical battles, but she is one of anime’s prime examples of a heroine who deserves recognition as a worthy role model. She uses the strength of her intelligence, character, and determination to succeed in everything she tries, most notably her efforts to qualify for, and serve capably as, a government official in the fantasy nation of Sauinkoku, an occupation that, until she came along, had been barred to women.

Pacifica Casull, Scrapped Princess – Though she possesses her own power, Pacifica is generally worthless in a fight and mostly incompetent at anything else practical that she tries to do. She remains positive and cheery even when nearly everyone is literally out to get her, though, and her natural charm and goodness of heart win over even some who initially sought to kill her and inspire those around her to side with her and protect her. And she does ultimately end up spoiler[changing the world in a fairly literal sense].

Kei Kurono, Gantz – Yeah, he has some decidedly unheroic aspects to his personality, but when push comes to shove he proves quite capable at taking action and performing great deeds. His efforts inspire those around him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Astro Boy, Astro Boy, he's one of the oldest anime heroes to be sure, he's constantly saving the people of the world or metro city from ill-programmed robots and various Tezuka stock villains. He's always doing things like stopping trains with their breaks broken, deflecting space satellites and threats, all while doing a general job of trying to get robots and humans to get along.

Shep in Interstella 5555 chases after the band once they're stolen to Earth spoiler[and succeeds in saving them, although dying in the process]. But it's a movie, so he only got 1 heroic act in all honesty, but he's pretty selfless too.

Detective Maniwa from Paranoia Agent struck me as more heroic as he was a major player in the conclusion of the series and getting spoiler[whats-her-face psycho to shape up and accept her puppy's death]

Fee Charmichael from Planetes indeed does a noble deed while trying to get a cigarette for ages by saving space from becoming unusable due to debris.

Hachimaki again Planetes does some nice guy heroics here and there, like in the first episode when he delays a space debris' trajectory to let the people of Earth see it burn in pretty rainbow colors or later in the series when he spoiler[(god it's been a while I've seen this and I forget names) attacks that one guy during project Jupiter because he finds out he's trying to sabotage the project] and hopefully someone who has seen it more recent can think of more. For me, he was the inspirational type to the rest of the cast sort of thing.

Ai Tanabe in Planetes practically suffocates while trying to save another person on the moon who couldn't walk, but would not take the other person's air tank even when they said that they shouldn't survive while she died.

Duck form Princess Tutu, surely fits this, she retrieves all the heart pieces and still goes through with the ending spoiler[despite being turned back into a duck for good, ah tragedy!]
and on that note, Fakir (Princess Tutu) as well, at the end of the first half he sword fights against the ravens for Mytho and especially in the 2nd half when he write for Duck.

Gin, Hana and Miyuki from Tokyo Godfathers, not really sure how to split this one since it was a group effort heroic on this one, they spent all of their efforts and resources to reunite a lost baby with its parents for Christmas day. That whole movie is just a combination of heroic acts and deus ex machina to assist the heroic acts. I'd feel bad only saying it was only Gin, Hana, or Miyuki.

And I'll 2nd Goku DBZ, even if I do think some of the characters in that show are a little too careless "we'll just use the Dragon Balls!" state of mind with their lives.
Elfen12

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to nominate the following:

Eikichi Onizuka, Great Teacher Onizuka - I think he is a good choice for it. Sure he's strong but that isn't why he's nominated. Although through perhaps interesting methods, he always seems to solve peoples problems, and he alwyas seems to bring out peoples betters sides, and can always just take the best out of people and make that into who they are. Despite his teacher status, he does things to help people, no matter what it may be. He seems to be natural at doing the right thing, that we all perhaps think of doing, but never actually do. I find that to meet the standards of a hero. As his friend said "he makes the impossible, possible, despite the circumstances", and i think he applies this to his helping people, by whatever means necessary.

Key, i have a question, would nominating Gohan be a little bit .. just not the right thing? Since you already have Goku? Well no i suppose Gohan coudln't beat Goku in the hero category, eh.

-Elfen12-
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I have seen a lot of anime, and I may need to revisit the nomination process several times... but, from an initial study of my lists, here are my first round of nominations:

Yajima Kintaro from Salaryman Kintaro
A real man among men, Kintaro goes from being the leader of a bike gang to being a highly unorthodox salaryman. With his talent for thinking outside the box, and his deep commitment to seeing that everybody gets their just desserts, he is not above putting himself in physical danger. Plus, he's a good father to his child.

Yūko ''Yasako" Okonogi from Dennō Coil
She's weak and she's frightened, she's indecisive and she's apparently set up to be the victim, the damsel in distress that all the other, more forceful, characters have to rescue. Yet, when the chips are down, she's the one who fearlessly does what needs to be done.

Tohma from Fantastic Children
Love can lead you to the strangest situations, and Tohma's journey is certainly a long and odd one. From a chance encounter on the South Seas island where he lives, his life develops into a series of more and more strange encounters. Throughout, he shows himself mature enough to deal with the developments, including putting himself at risk when necessary.

Keiichi Maebara from Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and sequels.
There's nothing quite so heroic as the leader who is the focus of a threatened group, and whose basic agenda is: "We leave nobody behind. Everybody goes home safe." Keiichi has this quality in spades, and that makes him a hero.

Samatarou Kamiyama from Kamisama Kazoku
Samatarou is one of the good guys, and he's quite set in his mind about it, to the extent that nothing is more important to him than that. I hesitate to offer spoilers in a nomination, but... he does go all the way, in terms of heroic determination.

Kousuke Ueki from The Law of Ueki
A sense of justice goes with every hero worthy of the name, and Ueki is certainly a seigi no mikata, a "partisan of justice". Over the course of the series, Ueki displays the quality of devotion to righteousness again and again, often at the risk of death.

I'll probably think of more heroes as I go, but these will do for a beginning.

Also, I vote in favour of Eiichiro Onizuka (GTO)-- in fact, I would have nominated him myself. He is a vulgar, uncouth type, but his heart is definitely in the right place.

I also vote in favour of Ai Tanabe (Planetes) -- she has "the right stuff".

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Yusuke Urameshi, Yu Yu Hakusho: He was a strong headed tough guy. He fought countless demons and finished them all. And he had a hand that could shoot laser beams. I think he is a perfect nominee for Best Hero.
Vash, Trigun: He was a nice guy who was sometimes a push over. Even though he never wanted anyone to get hurt, he was always thrown into unfavorable situations where violence had to be used.
Lupin, Lupin III: He was a lovable guy who seemed to have a plan for everything. He captured the imagination of anime fans world over, and still holds a place there today. He makes us all wish we could be as care free as he is and be able to steal anything.
Roger Smith, Big O: He was like a cooler version of Jimmy Sparks from Giantor. He could call out Big O to get the job done, and he would get it done. He is one of the smoothest and coolest anime Heroes out there.

I'll be back with more later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:
-Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin)- Can't have a hero tourney without mentioning this cross-scarred swordsman. He can be just as silly as Vash in his interactions with others at times. But, he shows a great care for the new circle of friends he makes at the Kamiya dojo and does what he can to protect him from old foes he crossed in his bloody past as the Batousai.

Seconding support for:
-Goku (Dragon Ball) and Astro Boy- Classic examples of anime heroes who while quite simple-minded, do what they think is right to battle against evil.
-Eikichi Onizuka- It took enough for him to put up with his wild class at Holy Forest. While not exactly a genius, he did enough to change the lives of the students in his class for the better.
-Vash the Stampede (Trigun)- One of the biggest pacifists I've seen in an anime. While a bit silly at times, the guy has a heart of gold for humanity and does all he can to protect them without killing.

I'll try thinking of some more heroes/ heroines for this tourney later.

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Shirou Emiya from Fate/Stay Night: If he's not heroic, then I don't know who is. He's always doing reckless things that threaten his own life and well-being in order to help others. Very little he does is for himself, and he's such a magnanimous guy that sometimes you wonder if he'd be better off fighting for himself than Saber and everyone else.

Tohma Kamijo from To Aru Majutsu no Index: This guy goes so far to help other people, going from inconveniencing himself to putting himself up in the front line. He has this sense of justice that never lets him leave his friends alone, and that motivates him to do bold things that even though seem way out of his reach, end up earning the respect of those around him.

Ryuuji Takasu from Toradora: His caring for Taiga goes beyond almost any show I've seen in this genre. He helps her because he truly wants to help her, without the "because I'm attracted to her" ulterior motive that most guys would have.

Yoko Nakajima from Twelve Kingdoms: She really fits the hero bill. She overcomes her own cowardice and self-centeredness and becomes someone who is benevolent and fights for the sake of her entire country and its people. Her being strong also helps.

Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece: No one cares more about his nakama than he does, and no one ultimately shows more sacrifice and suffering in order to help his crew get through troubling situations.
Olliff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Tenma Monster

His dedication to saving lives is unparalleled, and his duty is so strong and unwavering that he ends up becoming a doctor even when he is on the run from the law. To him, all lives have equal value --spoiler[ he even ends up saving his arch nemesis's life two times. ] Though he is tempted to commit evil countless times, Tenma often resists even when it works against his best interests.

Belldandy
Ah My Goddess!

Kind-hearted, caring, pure, selfless -- Belldandy has all of the personality characteristics of a classic hero. She is far from an action hero, but her noble and pure nature is shown countless times throughout the series. Belldandy's unconditional dedication towards Keiichi, despite his many short comings, reinforces the purity found in her character. In terms of ideals and beliefs, it may be hard to beat Belldandy in this tournament.

Soichiro Yagami
Death Note

Justice-minded and honorable - though a minor character, Light's father demonstrates the perfect representation of a just law enforcement officer. Socihiro believes strongly in the law, and he was widely respected by his peers for his dedication to uphold the law -- no matter what the cost. Though he fails in his main mission, he spoiler[ died doing his duty, trying to bring Kira to justice. ]

Kazuki Muto
Buso Renkin

Kazuki is fairly different from most shonen protagonists; he has an odd noble characteristic about him. While reckless, he never seems to cross the line into power hungry like other characters from the same genre, i.e. Ichigo. He does train hard to increase his powers, but he never does anything morally questionable in order to achieve this. Protecting others is also very important to him. I haven't seen the whole series, but what from I have seen, he seems considerable more pure than other protagonists from this genre. Countless times, he is even willing to sacrifice his own life in order to fight against evil, and there are even times when he goes against his orders in order to do something he thinks is right.

Aramaki Daisuke
Ghost in Shell Franchise

The Chief is a very principled man. He demonstrates this several times when he refuses to give in to demands even when it puts him at a political disadvantage. The Chief also strikes me as a man who is very justice minded. His actions are well respected by his peers, and he is commended several time for acting on his principles alone and not succumbing to outside pressure.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Hachimaki again Planetes does some nice guy heroics here and there, like in the first episode when he delays a space debris' trajectory to let the people of Earth see it burn in pretty rainbow colors...

Well actually, he did it to get overtime. I don't know if I would consider him a hero. Ai Tanabe on the other hand definitely deserves to get some recognition.

But I lament that "noble" was left out of the tournament. Some people (like Ai) consistently show a noble, compassionate way of looking at life and humanity. And yet, they may do only limited amounts of actual heroics, or might not be such a great leader.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
OK, I'll back the following:

Eikichi Onizuka from GTO
Tohma from Fantastic Children
Ai Tanabe from Planetes

Not backing, but also not voting aginst, just want to raise some discussion:
Fee and Hachimaki from Planetes. Do these two really belong here? I think through most of the series Fee just does her job. As for Hachimaki, well, without being too spoilerific, he goes through a lot of changes in the series. During one arc specifically, he is decidedly not heroic, even spoiler[borderline evil]
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Not backing, but also not voting aginst, just want to raise some discussion:
Fee and Hachimaki from Planetes. Do these two really belong here? I think through most of the series Fee just does her job. As for Hachimaki, well, without being too spoilerific, he goes through a lot of changes in the series. During one arc specifically, he is decidedly not heroic, even spoiler[borderline evil]

You have a point, Fee mostly had a heroic crowning moment of awesome, but it was sorta unintentionally heroic.
It's been a while (like, last summer) since I've seen any of the series though, but I don't remember Hachimaki ever going Light anti-hero at any point (a little emo, yeah). I do remember not thinking him as heroic as Ai Tanabe at any point though.

I do have more people to 2nd vote for, but I'll wait to do it later in one nice consistent post, rather than a few smaller ones (after more names have been brought up).
Jinxso

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
This topic brought 2 characters to mind right away. One of which has already been mentioned Ai Tanabe the other I would like to nominate is:

Rosette Christopher from Chrono Crusade - She has a determination behind her character that exceeds most leading characters drives. Her roll as a exorcist for the Order of Magdalene is heroic in itself however she teams up with Chrno a demon in order to achieve her real desire and this is to save her brother. She is willing to spoiler[give up her life and everything she is ] to reach this goal. There is little if anything more heroic then giving up everything to save someone you love.

So I nominate: Rosette and Ai
MironBiron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Uzumaki Naruto - Naruto - This hardworking hero does everything to protect innocent people, defeat bad guys and succeeds at convincing people to do good. Uzumaki Naruto is one of the most strong willed and pure anime characters out there.

Kamina - Gurren Lagann - The most confident and uplifting anime character ever who influenced the direction of the future, inspired a big number of people, fought tons of enemies and spoiler[lost his life in battle] needs to be on the list. Kamina is the ultimate hero and a great leader.
mow123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Suzaku Code Geass
He's a adamant upholder of authority and the law and attempts to change a corrupt system from within. However, he does disobey commands if they are clearly immoral, and will always seek to minimize casualties. Though in the second season, he does seem to shift towards Lawful Neutral from Lawful Good.

Totuda Matsuda Death Note

Totuda Matsuda is another justice minded character, who has motives that extend beyond wanting to just uphold the law. He's not driven to bring Kira to justice because of the law, and at one point, it is no longer his job to do so; he intends to catch Kira because he believes it is the right thing to do.

Usagi Tsukino Sailor Moon

She is the perfect example of altruism and good. She fights to protect everyone in the name of love and justice, and she also tries to redeem the villains she battles whenever she gets the chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 33