• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam 00 Assistant Director Masaki Kitamura Arrested for Massacre Threat

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
According to the police, the suspect denied the charges, saying, "I'm completely innocent."

According to the authorities, they analyzed the IP address that originated the threat and discovered it was linked to an high-speed wireless LAN device owned by Kitamura.

Yeah, there's your problem.

I would hope if he is innocent the police will at least compensate him nicely, preferably deducted from their own salaries
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
You saying that someone else - like a neighbour - could have been using the wireless, and they're possibly the ones who made the threat?

If so, Kitamura deserved to be arrested anyway, for being so stupid as to not put a password on his wireless. And no, I'm not being serious, but still, that would be pretty slack on his part. (Assuming it really happened and it wasn't him all along.)
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"I will commit a massacre in Otaroad [in Osaka's Nipponbashi area] next Sunday. I will ram into pedestrian paradise, and after stabbing indiscriminately with a knife, I will commit suicide"

Perhaps the translation is a bit off, but this sounds really fake.

And it's wireless. Gonna need some investigation there.
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
i would say he had so much potential, but i guess he used it all up till now
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote
If it's a "hi-speed wireless" device it's likely a wimax router that sets up a local wireless network.

In fact that's how I'm posting this from a starbucks right now.

These things default to WPA2 password protection at least, but it's theoretically possible it was hacked. Or it's possible he lost the thing or someone stole it and read off the password from the sticker on the back.

But he's gonna have a hell of a time proving his innocence if he's still got the router in his possession, as you can't hack the node address (that's how they make sure it's only paying customers that can access the wimax network, they lock it per device ID)
vincent_vincent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
NOW Just imagine if Tomino Made that comment Shocked
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
vincent_vincent wrote:
NOW Just imagine if Tomino Made that comment Shocked

Oh please. Attacking people with a knife is beneath a guy who loves to kill off his casts. I reckon he would threaten to drop a satellite on our head colony-drop style. (That reminds me of Summer Wars, incidentally enough).
Farix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
If it's a "hi-speed wireless" device it's likely a wimax router that sets up a local wireless network.

These things default to WPA2 password protection at least, but it's theoretically possible it was hacked. Or it's possible he lost the thing or someone stole it and read off the password from the sticker on the back.

But he's gonna have a hell of a time proving his innocence if he's still got the router in his possession, as you can't hack the node address (that's how they make sure it's only paying customers that can access the wimax network, they lock it per device ID)

I'm not all that familure with wimax, but Kitamura could very well be the victim of a man-in-the-middle attack or a variation of IP spoofing.
誤称

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
Butchering the Gundam franchise isn't enough for them, they need real people now....
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Butchering the Gundam franchise isn't enough for them, they need real people now....

I bet it was someone you has similar feelings to you, just in a more irration hate filled way, spoofing his IP address. Just to make the threat to get him in trouble. I don't understand how long its going to take police to realize an IP address alone isn't enough for an arrest.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
farix wrote:
samuelp wrote:

I'm not all that familure with wimax, but Kitamura could very well be the victim of a man-in-the-middle attack or a variation of IP spoofing.

From the wimax side, doubtful, but from the wireless network side, very possible.
Banjo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I hope this is just a mistake. Confused
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You saying that someone else - like a neighbour - could have been using the wireless, and they're possibly the ones who made the threat?

If so, Kitamura deserved to be arrested anyway, for being so stupid as to not put a password on his wireless. And no, I'm not being serious, but still, that would be pretty slack on his part. (Assuming it really happened and it wasn't him all along.)

If he was using WEP (which has been thoroughly cracked) or a weak/compromised WPA password it could still have been used by someone else.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Time for Celestial Being to stage an intervention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
flackenstien

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Time for Celestial Being to stage an intervention.

Lol'd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2