• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st English-Subbed Code Geass: Akito BD Slated for January

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
So..... Are they basically telling us to buy the Japanese BDs?

It'll be a while til all the volumes are out but I hope it gets licensed and released as a set.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

Remember, this is Bandai. Its their new big thing since they've closed their American branch... I expect all their big name stuff to be like this now.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
I just don't understand Bandai's inconsistency, like not adding subs to the recent BD releases of older shows. I do have to wonder if other publishers will follow suit in full force, and have everything come with English subs, while causing foreign releases to be dub only.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote
I'll surly get it. I just hope if they do a re-release for the TV series on BD with sub at some point in the future.

And how come they didn't include sub for the Zeta Gundam Movies when they already had existing sub Mad
Toriko36

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I just don't understand Bandai's inconsistency, like not adding subs to the recent BD releases of older shows. I do have to wonder if other publishers will follow suit in full force, and have everything come with English subs, while causing foreign releases to be dub only.

I have been thinking the same lately. This would be a shame, I've been an Anime fan for over a decade and I haven't watched a dub in over 10 years. This may be the future business model. The Japanese distributors may only allow the NA companies to produce dub only releases.

I wonder how many out there prefer sub or dub. I also wonder if the japanese companes have done market analysis to see the cost/benefit analysis and see if it even pays to sell the license for the original and allow for subs and dubs.

This would be a good discussion on an AnnCast with Zac and Justin.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I have been thinking the same lately. This would be a shame, I've been an Anime fan for over a decade and I haven't watched a dub in over 10 years. This may be the future business model. The Japanese distributors may only allow the NA companies to produce dub only releases.

I wonder how many out there prefer sub or dub. I also wonder if the japanese companes have done market analysis to see the cost/benefit analysis and see if it even pays to sell the license for the original and allow for subs and dubs.

This would be a good discussion on an AnnCast with Zac and Justin.

I think that the potential strategy of subbing all imports and dubbing only for foreign releases would be the last resort to try to make more money from us and resolve the reverse-import issue.

Although I am willing to regularly pay $75-100 for R1 releases for whole series (11-13 episodes), I refuse to accept typical Japanese pricing ($400-500 per 11-13 episodes) as the norm.

As for whether I prefer sub or dub, I like dubs when they are well done, but subs will always be fine. The $75-100 range I mentioned applies also to sub-only R1 releases. I know that English dubs cost money, but their inclusion or exclusion on R1 releases is mostly irrelevant to me.

Finally, WHY IN THE HELL ISN'T BANDAI VISUAL INCLUDING THE ENGLISH DUB IN THE JAPANESE BD SET OF COWBOY BEBOP???
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

It'll be a while til all the volumes are out but I hope it gets licensed and released as a set.

after the end of bandai entertainment now japanese blu-ray import news is impossible. c'mon sublicensors.
the so called complete discs (6 or 7 episodes each) is irrevelant and not for collectors imo.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
With Bandai US gone, looks like this is the only option for now.
Very sad when we get ripped off for $70 for one single 40min episode!
The way it's going, the only anime that will exist will be these rubbish fanservice shows!
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
Sold! Now, the grueling four month wait...:<
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1