• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gintama.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
i just looked, and i'm surprised there's never been a topic on this show. i just started watching it a week ago out of boredom, and i have to say this has to be one of the best series i have ever seen.
it seems a lot of people write it off for being in Shounen Jump, but it's not like your typical shounen series at all, it's more akin to Cowboy Bebop in the way the episodes are spaced out. so far there has been almost no plot, but the writing is just so hilarious that the series carries itself on just that.
don't take that as this being a gag show though, when they do action, it's damn good. the "Benizakura" arc in particular, was amazing. granted there has been a few stumbles now and then, but so far i've managed to watch 100 episodes without losing total interest.

just an example of the genius in this show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t_RQihlN8U

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
just an example of the genius in this show:

Parodying a overused tactic whilst blatantly using it themselves. That is devious. My hat would go off to the show's creators, should I be inclined to wear one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I've only read the first 5 Viz manga volumes (love the spines, the characters look so cute lined up on my shelf!), but it's a great series with a good mix of comedy and action. Definitely not typical shonen stuff. I've yet to watch the anime, as I'm still hopeful it will be licensed, but if it's not by the end of this year, I'll probably go ahead and watch the fansubs.
FLMikeATT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Gintama is one of my top 10 favorites, as is (IMO) the most funny anime series out there. It consistently makes me laugh at least 4 or 5 times an episode, usually more.

I nearly laughed myself to death at the "poo" episode. I think it's ep. 69 or 79, can't remember. Anyways, those who've watched that far probably know what I'm talking about.

Awesome series.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
I've been singing praises for Gintama in the comedy recommendation thread and in my reviews for the past year, thankfully someone out there but me is watching it. Its good to see someone started a thread, because this show really does deserve more attention then it's getting. I believe it might be a lack of understanding of the cultural puns or parodies. Japanese humor might be alien to some westerners and a lot of people write the show off as just confusing or situationally funny. In actually it has a great story line, with some great historical background that when put into context is hilarious. spoiler[I still can't get over the fact that foreigners are portrayed as weird looking aliens, especially Americans, are always shown as dogs.] Even the filler isn't that bad, although I do wish it would go by faster. Anyway, great comedy/action/parody/shonen series, and it definitely falls in my top 5 comedy series of all time.
Amayasrain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
@ShadowTrader, I agree that part of the reason the show hasn't caught on here in the US is the lack of understanding the parodies and cultural puns. It's a really well done show, and quite hilarious when you know what they're parodying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jel123

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man! Gintama is one of my favorites. Just about every episode has me laughing out loud at some point. The characters are all deranged and the situations that the writer puts them in are not to be believed.

Some of the more memorable scenes for me are;
Neo-Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon (phallic snow sculpture)
Sa-Chan's Ninja Training (Power Rangers parody)

doctordoom85 wrote:
I've yet to watch the anime, as I'm still hopeful it will be licensed, but if it's not by the end of this year, I'll probably go ahead and watch the fansubs.
If you don't mind streaming, TVTokyo has made the series available world wide through Crunchy. The first 4 episodes are up there now (sub only).

ShadowTrader wrote:
...with some great historical background that when put into context is hilarious. spoiler[I still can't get over the fact that foreigners are portrayed as weird looking aliens, especially Americans, are always shown as dogs.]
All this time and I hadn't even noticed that! But yeah, spoiler[the earth is portrayed being all Japanese or more specifically Edo _is_ the world and any foreigners are from outer space.]
Quote:
Even the filler isn't that bad, although I do wish it would go by faster.
Not sure what you mean by filler. According to the list on Wikipedia most of the episodes are directly from the manga (although not in the same order) with only a few non-canon episodes mixed in.

Certainly not for everyone. If you don't like reading translation notes to get the cultural references then you probably won't find a lot of it funny. There is also quite a bit of "breaking the fourth wall" (as seen in the clip posted by v1cious) particularly Shinpachi will complain that some of the situations that come up in the show will either get them taken off the air or forced into a later time slot. Smile

Overall a fun series.
happymoose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:00 am Reply with quote
snip

Last edited by happymoose on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen an episode of the anime, but I've read the first 8 or 9 volumes of the manga, and it's really funny! Laughing It's really neat to see a series that almost seems to invent it's own sort of style of humor to it (ridiculously hilarious, off-the-wall and well-timed conversation for the most part, along with parodies and references every so often).

Gintoki is amongst the best-liked male lead characters in Japan at the moment, is my understanding. Surprised
guet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree, I started watching the show a while back and would now consider it to be one of my top five favorite series of all time. There is just so much that is great about this series. So I'm glad to see others enjoying it as well.

The comedy is second to none, a lot of anime comedy series don't really make me laugh much, but something about Gintama's humor clicks with me. When there is action it's animated better than most of the other shows of it's kind, and it probably has some of the best voice work out of any series on air right now. For as outlandish as some of the story ideas are, there really is a surprising amount of drama and emotion to some of the episodes. It manages to have a huge supporting cast, yet make each and every one of the characters unique and memorable. Good stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1