• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - ANTI-PIRACY HYSTERIA

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
You're STILL committing No True Scotsman. Yes, of course anime and western animation are different. That doesn't mean they both cannot be considered to be animation/cartoons. Which they are.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Just one last word "Tomatoes" that's all.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Maaya wrote:
There's nothing wrong with homages or references, is there? If they were trying to hide where their inspiration comes from, but else. And I dunno about "generic fake art style". Doesn't look more generic to me than many of the cardboard cutout characters in animes each season.

Anime smile; It's easy to tell wannabe-anime from real anime I find. You can try to mimic but it's no match for growing up in Japan and being surrounded by their art styles and techniques growing up.

Quote:
All this argument tells me you either didn't see the show at all or barely paid any attention to it. You mention DBZ references and whatnot but their just that: references. The creators of Avatar have admitted to being anime fans to some to extent and plenty of anime make references other works the authors liked but somehow when western animation does it it's a crime? And yes the basic set up is the whole elements+martial arts thing which has been done before, but it's actually done well, and you obviously don't understand the show if you think action sequences are why people watch it. Hell the action sequences are the most frequently mocked part of the series all across the board in spite of the creators supposedly researching actual martial arts. I'll give you the asian culture blender thing but even that isn't a very good argument. The world of Avatar is pretty well fleshed out and despite "blending" this stuff together they did a pretty good job of making the different nations distinct.

Rolling Eyes that's the oldest dismissive argument in the book. I saw the show, just cause I don't agree with you doesn't mean I haven't. References are exactly like the Megas thing again. They can only reference, not create or stand out on their own. And considering Avatar is entirely "Google Image Searching "Asian culture" The Animated Series", that's a big problem. They can't recreate Asian culture if they grew up in a Suburban American town. You can reference and research but it'll never be like anime where it's not even a concious descision when it's being made. I agree the fights are a joke but Chagen46's post seems to love them so I'm wrong there as I see people praise them. I don't think the nations are distinct at all though. The costume and character design in Avatar was really bland. All the nations people looked like each other because they all dressed in the same two-tone robe scheme. Waterbenders wear light blue and dark blue robes of the same type. Fire guys wear red. Earth green. Air orange. None of the outfits or designs stood out, and coupled with very basic face and hair styles you could replace the characters with backgrounds characters and it wouldn't change much. The only noteworthy design that stood out was Toph's eyes, cause she's blind. That's it. Yeah yeah, I know its a kid show so everything has to be one color so kids at home aren't confused and can easily tell the good guys VS bad guys, but that's just another reason why it was so limited. Compare that to the Straw Hat pirates which all have a unique design and clothing style Oda's a genius, and he changes their clothes each arc it seems like. Kubo does with Bleach too. They could be fashion designers if they wanted to with all the unique clothing and designs they come up with >_> I'd buy clothes from them. Avatar's designs by comparison is super bland

Quote:
You also didn't pay attention to what I was actually saying about Adventure Time. Note that I said in SPITE of having crude humor meant for kids the show has some very mature themes, some dark undertones when you really explore what the setting of the show actually is, and has some pretty dramatic moments which is why the show has a pretty respectable adult fanbase despite technically being meant for kids.

Try reading my post next time.

I will again note that as a whole I do believe that anime is better than western animation and I don't want to confuse anyone into thinking otherwise, but this whole notion that all western animation is inferior to anime on principle is just well...ridiculous and when I see people arguing that it looks more like a kid saying "look at me I watch the cool shows and not that baby stuff so I'm a big kid now" and it becomes apparent that person has no actual love for the medium of animation.

Try reading >mine<. Since when do dark themes mean anything? Something doesn't need to be >edgy< to be good. Isn't that the lesson here I thought? If it does then I guess anime is better because it's more dark, mature, and edgy right? If loving the medium entails I have to like these shows, then I guess I have no love of the medium. I'm sorry I have stricter standards that I dont give free passes to shows. I prefer the way Japan utilizes animation and doesn't limit it to kids and adult sitcoms. Even when it's for kids like Digimon or Card Captor Sakura, you got stuff that would never fly here like homosexual relationships or directly dealing with death on screen in a mature manner, which is why they were so censored when dubbed here. What I saw of Adventure Time made it no different than other kids comedy shows. Still episodic, still crude, still random and simplistic looking. Not into that stuff.

Chagen46 wrote:
lol wow. You really don't know jack about Avatar. Its Asian asthetic was not to rip off anime, it was because the creators wanted to make a work homaging Asia in general--hence things like actually using REAL martial arts styles, something most manga/anime can't be arsed to do eventhough THEY'RE THE CREATORS OF SAID MARTIAL ARTS (well, them and the chinese). Avatar manages to evoke an Asian feel better than most anime.

Also, personally, from what I've seen, Avatar is a lot more fluid than most anime. It doesn't even really look THAT anime-like besides a few visual trappings. But I guess in Crispy45's world inspiration and cutural syncretism is evil.

TitanXL wrote:
The four martial arts in Avatar are Chinese. Please don't lump Japan and China together just because "they're both Asian", that's exactly what his complaint was.

Well well, what have we here. Wink Guess you don't know as much as you like to say you do.

So is your gimmick making snide one liners and offering nothing to to the discussion? Still waiting for you to address those points I made earlier. I'll just take that as an admittance of defeat until you do. Laughing

Quote:
But a lot of Avatar haters deny that it is the exception. And the very fact that it exists is proof of changing viewpoints on animation in the west. There always has to be the Ur-work that at least TRIES to change the status quo.

-_-; What did Avatar change? Animation in the US is still the same as it always was. "Avatar haters" dismiss it because you try to hail it as some revolution show that changed the face of animation. It didn't It was just another action cartoon to add to the list. What way was it even trying to be revolutionary? At this point I'd say My Little Pony and bronies had a bigger impact on American animation. Or at least a more audible one in the news and at TV networks. My Little Pony, dude. What does that say about Avatar when it can't even stand up to that show.

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Again the bias is obvious in your posts, so I don't see point in discussing this further.

Rolling Eyes Your bias is pretty clear as well, but I still give you the chance to explain yourself but you never did for my previous point.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god.

I can't wait till you guys actually go to Japan and see it for the normal country it is and not this all-mighty diefied "anime-land" you guys seem to think it is.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Just one last word "Tomatoes" that's all.

Whats Tomatsu Haruka have to do with this?
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Oh my god.

I can't wait till you guys actually go to Japan and see it for the normal country it is and not this all-mighty diefied "anime-land" you guys seem to think it is.

to me it's the land where Beer can be less than £1 per pint and the trains are on time i.e. paradise.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Anime smile; It's easy to tell wannabe-anime from real anime I find. You can try to mimic but it's no match for growing up in Japan and being surrounded by their art styles and techniques growing up.

That has nothing to do with generic (character) designs. And plenty of anime series have completely generic, unimaginative designs.

I don't like how most foreign animated tv series look like, but for sure you don't have to grow up in Japan to draw in what is considered "anime-art-style". If it looks different it's often more a matter of choice than of skill.

Quote:
I don't think the nations are distinct at all though. (...) All the nations people looked like each other because they all dressed in the same two-tone robe scheme. (...) None of the outfits or designs stood out, and coupled with very basic face and hair styles you could replace the characters with backgrounds characters and it wouldn't change much.

A description that could fit plenty of animes as well.

Quote:
They can only reference, not create or stand out on their own. (...) They can't recreate Asian culture if they grew up in a Suburban American town. You can reference and research but it'll never be like anime where it's not even a concious descision when it's being made.

It's always more difficult to write a story about a place which is not your hometown / country. But tons of animes are set in "foreign countries", feature cliched foreign characters and wrong common knowledge. Sometimes they manage to pull it off, sometimes they don't. But in the end that really has nothing to do with the medium and its capabilities per se. For now, by limiting themselves to kids' shows and comedy, american animation just doesn't seem to use its capabilities fully (while lots of animes try and fail). Probably because the adult audience is (thought to be) so small, the producers don't think it's worth it?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't like the 'anime vs. cartoons' argument, because it seems so stupid. What's the point? What are the stakes? So far as I can tell there's no worthwhile point and there are no stakes, because I can watch either. I do have to make choices since I don't have infinite time, but I'm not so pressed that it's serious choice. The whole things stinks of adolescent rebellion. Couldn't you just say, "f**k you mom!" and spare us? The people doing it might be considerably older than that magical stage of our lives when we're horrible, but I think we've seen clear evidence that you can be as old as thirty and have barely matured a whit.

I like anime because I like animation and the Japanese make a lot, much of which fills a gap left sadly open by American animation production. I see it as part of a larger whole and that whole is what I'm interested in. Shutting myself up in a tree-house with a 'no cartoonz allwed' sign on it would just give me reason to be a nasty snot and I know that eventually, I'd think I was a lousier person for it. I think that there's a weird partisan divide emerging among anime fans, one that seems to be growing as deep and pernicious as any you'll fine in politics. I've fretted over the dividing point, but increasingly, I think the it comes down to whether you're interested in anime because its cartoons or because you think that statement is ludicrous.

Sadly, I doubt that we'll ever see much different from what we have no out of American animation. That works pretty well sometimes. A few of those DC films have been quite good. I liked Justice League: New Frontier plenty. But the market for it is very small and I don't think that North American has or can develop a numerous enough or crazily devoted enough audience to support much beyond a few productions that leverage the crazies we have now. What there is of that niche is largely filled already by imported Japanese animation and I don't see any American company willing to take what would probably be an utter fool's errand by trying to enter it.

Oh, and the folks sneering at Avatar: The Last Airbender's representation of Asian culture. I really don't think that you care at all about cultural appropriation or exoticization any more than it can be used as a flog against enemies of the tribe. You do something in exactly the same spirit with Japan and I think that you do it for a more insidious reason in worse faith.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
Can't someone just have no interest in something? Like going into a store, browsing and finding nothing they want to buy, then leaving and going to another store across the street? Doesn't have to be some rebellious kid/consipracy thing, just a preference thing.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't like the 'anime vs. cartoons' argument, because it seems so stupid. What's the point? What are the stakes? So far as I can tell there's no worthwhile point and there are no stakes, because I can watch either. I do have to make choices since I don't have infinite time, but I'm not so pressed that it's serious choice. The whole things stinks of adolescent rebellion. Couldn't you just say, "f**k you mom!" and spare us? The people doing it might be considerably older than that magical stage of our lives when we're horrible, but I think we've seen clear evidence that you can be as old as thirty and have barely matured a whit.

There is no point, but weeaboos have internalized "Cartoons are for kids" to the point that they feel the need to justify their anime fandom by screeching about how anime isn't for kids.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
There is no point, but weeaboos have internalized "Cartoons are for kids" to the point that they feel the need to justify their anime fandom by screeching about how anime isn't for kids.

And people who say that are idiots.

Its also entirely possible to not think that and still give precisely zero shits about western animation.

I know there is plenty of good western Cartoons! I also could not possibly care less!
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
Call me a weeboo if you want, but I don't watch Western animation since its themes and settings don't interest me. In general it'll either be kid oriented comedies, serious super hero stuff or ranchy adult comedy. I don't watch anime with those kinda themes, so why would I watch Western animation that has it? Call me when there are Western animation that do good slice of life with cute girls or good action story that doesn't revolve around super heroes.

Only Western cartoons I've seen and liked were shows like Teen Titans, Avatar, Wakfu and Freakazoid.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

you know a little something in me just wonders if you or anyone who uses that these days even knows what it means.[/b]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:

you know a little something in me just wonders if you or anyone who uses that these days even knows what it means.

Almost certainly not.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Can't someone just have no interest in something? Like going into a store, browsing and finding nothing they want to buy, then leaving and going to another store across the street? Doesn't have to be some rebellious kid/consipracy thing, just a preference thing.

Dismissing an entire medium as 'not for you' and then showing a clear preference based on where the animation was produced suggests at best a myopic and close-minded view of the other medium, and at worst a straight-up weird partisan preference based on identity politics. You know, 'I'm a special snowflake and this is my special club' syndrome.

Not that any of you are actually doing that nor does your overwhelming preference for anime while dismissing the entirety of animation produced in the west suggest that you are, but it definitely looks that way and you can't blame anyone for coming to that conclusion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16