• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Popularity Contests

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I suppose it is more or less a given that most magical girl shows will exist in an all-girl universe.

You clearly don't watch many magical girl shows. There are usually at least a few male characters (usually at least one that is the object of at least one girl's affection). And if you mean none of the major characters.... well yeah, no shit, its a *magical girl show*. That doesn't make it an "all-girl universe".

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what your complaint about my statement is. The term "all-girl universe" was not used literally in the article or in my reference to same. We are talking about the fact that generally, such shows involve universes where male characters are almost non-existent or are simple archetypes who have zero to little character development, and simply stand in as objectives or tools of the magical girl. I was making an observation that that dynamic could be something that could be deconstructed in a future show. You haven't refuted my point, it looks like you were just searching for something to disagree with me on.

P.S. By the way, for an example which kind of speaks to what I was commenting on, you could look at Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? It's not totally on point but is a good starting place.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
@ChibiKangaroo

I didn't see Madoka Magica as psychobabble. I thought the ending was quite good, reasonable, and uplifting. Feel sorry for you that you didn't get the ending.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
@ChibiKangaroo

I didn't see Madoka Magica as psychobabble. I thought the ending was quite good, reasonable, and uplifting. Feel sorry for you that you didn't get the ending.

Sounds like an explanation as to why the emperor really does have clothes. "Feel sorry that you can't see the magnificent clothes he's wearing. You must not get it."
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I've always been a fan of Zac's reviews for a very long time, whether I realized it or not.

Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I think Godwin's Law needs a sibling:

Urobuchi's Law: As a conversation in Anime News Networks goes on, the chance of the conversation getting derailed into a Madoka discussion approaches 1.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
There really isn't a whole lot to say about popularity. Its a nice little treat as it could mean you can collect more merchandise or you'll have alot of forums to talk about it in, but otherwise thats it.

The basic end game is if you like the series or not.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
There really isn't a whole lot to say about popularity. Its a nice little treat as it could mean you can collect more merchandise or you'll have alot of forums to talk about it in, but otherwise thats it.

It also means whether you'll get more sequels or not. Like how Answerman says he wishes some cult hits he enjoys would get sequels... and then he says popularity doesn't matter. It does if you like a series and want more of it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
@ChibiKangaroo

Sounds like an explanation as to why the emperor really does have clothes. "Feel sorry that you can't see the magnificent clothes he's wearing. You must not get it."

Yes, quite. The people who can see the Emperor's clothes are quite special indeed.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

It also means whether you'll get more sequels or not. Like how Answerman says he wishes some cult hits he enjoys would get sequels... and then he says popularity doesn't matter. It does if you like a series and want more of it.

True.

For example I pretty much get depressed everytime I'm reminded there is no future for Nijchijou of ever getting animated again, however I think it did just a satasfying enough run in the course of its 24-26 episodes. Then theres also the case of if said series has a pre established manga or LN adaptation, to where if you can get to it there really isn't any worries outside of a simple wanting for scene x or chapter y getting animated.

I can't speak for everyone when I say this: but as long as the adaptation dosn't BS me on the ending or following details, I'm pretty much just fine.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
To me, Madoka was a show I really enjoyed while it aired, since it gave better internet discussions than nearly any other anime I've watched as it aired... Hell, I enjoyed discussing what might happen next and the symbolization more than the anime itself. But looking back, I don't really see it as a masterpiece or anything. If I was just watching it now, instead of while it was airing, I'd probably consider it simply an above average series, nothing more.

Agreed. Madoka was nice, but it's nothing we haven't seen before in a variety of series.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

P.S. By the way, for an example which kind of speaks to what I was commenting on, you could look at Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? It's not totally on point but is a good starting place.

What, you want a Magical Girl show with a male lead? I don't even get your point. KoreZom is an absurdist comedy that happens to include a magical girl among its menagerie of freaks.

As for Madoka, it had a male character who played a key role in the events, even if he himself didn't do much. His existence is what prompted Sayaka's entire plotline!

As for your objections to the ending, it doesn't matter how much you insist it doesn't make sense, because it does, and has been explained to you several times. So either come up with an actual objection or stop whining.

TitanXL wrote:

Agreed. Madoka was nice, but it's nothing we haven't seen before in a variety of series.

Which is completely irrelevant to its status as one of the best shows of the last decade.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

What, you want a Magical Girl show with a male lead? I don't even get your point. KoreZom is an absurdist comedy that happens to include a magical girl among its menagerie of freaks.

No, I didn't say anything about wanting a Magical Girl show with a male lead. You need to go back and read my original post. I was saying, in response to the L.A. Times review of Madoka, that since the L.A. Times reviewer made a tongue in cheek comment about Madoka existing in an "all female universe," it might be interesting to see a deconstruction of that particular trope of Magical Girl shows in a future anime. I was giving KoreZom as a generic example of how a male character of substance could exist in a Magical Girl context. Like I said, it wasn't totally on point but was just giving it as an example for people to think about.

Quote:

As for Madoka, it had a male character who played a key role in the events, even if he himself didn't do much. His existence is what prompted Sayaka's entire plotline!

This guy fits directly into my point about the male character simply being an object or tool for the magical girl.

Quote:

As for your objections to the ending, it doesn't matter how much you insist it doesn't make sense, because it does, and has been explained to you several times. So either come up with an actual objection or stop whining.

I already pointed out my objections to these trite explanations of the ending on the first page. Go back and read it please.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
it might be interesting to see a deconstruction of that particular trope of Magical Girl shows in a future anime. I was giving KoreZom as a generic example of how a male character of substance could exist in a Magical Girl context. Like I said, it wasn't totally on point but was just giving it as an example for people to think about.

Yes, because exactly what the universe is short of is [expletive] male lead characters. Oh god, won't anyone think of the poor, underserved males!

No.

Quote:

This guy fits directly into my point about the male character simply being an object or tool for the magical girl.

Would you like to discuss an entire gender being reduced to nothing more than plot devices? I'd be utterly thrilled to, and I don't think it would reveal what you think it will.

Quote:

I already pointed out my objections to these trite explanations of the ending on the first page. Go back and read it please.

And they were responded to, as they were back in the review thread, and every other time you've brought this up.

It is now time for you to actually respond to the explanations given, or, quite franly, drop it.

Edit: Also a lot of your objections seem to indicate you don't watch very many magical girl shows, which is going to be a problem if you are going to give advice on how magical girl shows should operate.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

And they were responded to, as they were back in the review thread, and every other time you've brought this up.

It is now time for you to actually respond to the explanations given, or, quite franly, drop it.

Edit: Also a lot of your objections seem to indicate you don't watch very many magical girl shows, which is going to be a problem if you are going to give advice on how magical girl shows should operate.

No, they were not responded to. People have only given more vacuous and platitudinous statements and "explanations" of the ending which are exactly in line with the stuff quoted in my post. You have no answer. Keep on believing the emperor has clothes.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

No, they were not responded to. People have only given more vacuous and platitudinous statements and "explanations" of the ending which are exactly in line with the stuff quoted in my post. You have no answer. Keep on believing the emperor has clothes.

I'm so sorry that Madoka's ending is too complicated for you to understand.

It has been explained as simply as possible, if you don't like that, well, why should we care? millions of other people have managed to comprehend the ending just fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7