• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Andromeda Stories GN 1-3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
It's relatively attractice aesthetically, but it doesn't scream "check me out!"

It isn't supposed to scream "check me out!" - that isn't how you sell classic comics (or classic anything else for that matter).

It is if you want to sell them. That's the purpose of a cover, to make you want to read something. It doesn't matter if it's a "classic," especially since most people haven't heard of these series (remember the short memory of a typical anime fan). I can buy that argument for, say, Tezuka, because he's so well known, but you ask the average fan if they've even heard of Takemiya Keiko, you'll get confused expressions. Hence the cover has to say, "this is not only classic, it is cool and you should try it." Basic marketing.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Hence the cover has to say, "this is not only classic, it is cool and you should try it." Basic marketing.

Of course. But screaming isn't the way to do that. Some products are best sold by brow beating you (i.e. the hard sell) and some products are best sold by seducing you (i.e. the soft sell). Basic marketing.

Go to your local supermarket and look at any given section (jam, pasta, wine, whatever).
Which products have the subtlest branding and most low key aesthetics? The higher quality, more expensive ones.
Which products have the most garish, brash packaging? The cheaper, mass market ones.

Know thy niche.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Hence the cover has to say, "this is not only classic, it is cool and you should try it." Basic marketing.

Of course. But screaming isn't the way to do that. Some products are best sold by brow beating you (i.e. the hard sell) and some products are best sold by seducing you (i.e. the soft sell). Basic marketing.

And how does a bland black-and-white pseudo-modern-deisgn cover "seduce" you? It's blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand. ;-p

I mean, I know what you're talking about; think of the cover of Watchmen, for instance. I'm not saying it has to have giant explosions on the cover or anything. But this one is just plain uninteresting.
Ralifar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

Which products have the subtlest branding and most low key aesthetics? The higher quality, more expensive ones.
Which products have the most garish, brash packaging? The cheaper, mass market ones.

Know thy niche.

Maybe they do things differently in the UK, but in America what you just said is completely wrong.

The more expensive and "higher quality" brands are closer to the left. Tell me which you think looks the most generic? This isn't just done with ketchup though. I could show countless other examples. In my experience it works similarly with any product, including anime and manga. There are exceptions ofcourse.

Maybe you should know thine own niche before you start getting uppity.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
And how does a bland black-and-white pseudo-modern-deisgn cover "seduce" you? It's blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand. ;-p

I mean, I know what you're talking about; think of the cover of Watchmen, for instance. I'm not saying it has to have giant explosions on the cover or anything. But this one is just plain uninteresting.

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree because I don't find that cover to be bland. I think it stands out (it's certainly more starkly arresting than the rather more cluttered To Terra covers), I think you'd notice it from across a room crowded with gauche Tokyopop or Marvel covers and I think it looks like it belongs to an important, premium product. Which is presumably what Vertigo were going for.

Ralifar wrote:
The more expensive and "higher quality" brands are closer to the left. Tell me which you think looks the most generic? This isn't just done with ketchup though. I could show countless other examples.

You're missing the point. Twice. Firstly, ketchup is a poor example - it's inherently "mass market" - there is no such thing as classy ketchup (at least not in a plastic bottle), only degrees of cheapness. Secondly, "generic" and "low key" aren't anything like the same thing. Let me present an example that better illustrates my point:

Which of these images is the more expensive rum?

Hint: The rum that costs over £1000.00 a bottle doesn't need a colourful cartoon pirate to sell itself, the bottle that costs about £10.00 a bottle does.

And on that note, I have a bottle of Saint James Royal Ambre that isn't going to drink itself. Adieu!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll:

You've just shown how wrong this comparison is. Sure, they don't have to market it because people "in the know" know that this rum is better. But then they also crank the price up to 100 times the lesser brand. It doesn't matter if it doesn't catch anyone's eye, they don't have to sell as much to make a profit.

That doesn't work for this manga series. While a small niche of anime fans may know about the work and about Keiko Takemiya, the vast majority won't, and meanwhile it's the same $12 most manga is; nobody charges you $100 for a volume just because it's somehow a better product or a classic. When it comes to manga, you do need something in its production to make it stand out, since it isn't exactly on the level of "high culture" the way a good bottle of rum might be. As much as you may not want to admit it, manga is, as with ketchup, of necessity a mass market product, no matter how good it may be.

You're right that perhaps the stark simplicity of it might make it catch your eye - but I really find this particular set of covers very unattractive and boring. Not the black and white picture, mind you, but the garish line of color at the bottom that seems slapped on rather than enhancing the overall picture.

For the record, I don't like To Terra's covers either. I have to agree with someone earlier that my favorite covers are those of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, which are art in and of themselves, and depict stunning and dramatic elements of the work inside. And I dare you tell me that Nausicaa is somehow a cheaper, "gauche" work compared to Andromeda Stories. I dare you.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
You've just shown how wrong this comparison is. Sure, they don't have to market it because people "in the know" know that this rum is better. But then they also crank the price up to 100 times the lesser brand. It doesn't matter if it doesn't catch anyone's eye, they don't have to sell as much to make a profit.

You're right. That was a really shitty example - an analogy stretched way too far. I apologise.
Swap the £1000 bottle of Trois Riviéres for a £25 bottle of Appleton Estate V/X and the £10 bottle of Captain Morgans for a £15 bottle of Havana Club and it works rather better. The price gap is much slighter, as is the perceived quality gap, but there's still a huge gulf in the marketing methodology because the two drinks are aimed at quite different markets with quite different expectations.

Quote:
While a small niche of anime fans may know about the work and about Keiko Takemiya, the vast majority won't,

...And wouldn't be interested if they did. That's kind of the point. Manga-specific fans (let alone anime fans) mostly have very little interest in Takemiya (or even Tezuka for that matter) and marketing to them (at the cost of more likely buyers who'd be turned off by otaku-friendly manga packaging) would be counter-productive.

Quote:
and meanwhile it's the same $12 most manga is;

It was a few dollars above the standard back when it came out (Casey's review is a couple of years late). That's 20% over the market average of the time - equivalent to Viz's current generation of Signature releases (many of which are similarly marketed as a premium product for a more discerning audience).

Quote:
When it comes to manga, you do need something in its production to make it stand out, since it isn't exactly on the level of "high culture" the way a good bottle of rum might be.

I'm not suggesting it's "high culture" (it's middlebrow at best and even then only after re-contextualisation). It doesn't need to be high culture in order to warrant being marketed differently to, say, Negima.
Casablanca is hardly high culture either but you won't see it being sold with a cover that looks like it could go on an Adam Sandler DVD. That's not what people who buy black and white classics want or expect.

Quote:
As much as you may not want to admit it, manga is, as with ketchup, of necessity a mass market product, no matter how good it may be.

That's true (underground stuff aside) but we're not talking about the work in its original (mass market) context - we're talking about the work presented out of time and place to a niche within a niche with accordingly tiny print runs and accordingly tightly targeted marketing.

Quote:
I have to agree with someone earlier that my favorite covers are those of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, which are art in and of themselves, and depict stunning and dramatic elements of the work inside.

I quite agree. But unless the original covers of Andromeda Stories are similarly lovely (and similarly appealing to the audience the books were pitched to in America) that's hardly a useful comparison.

Quote:
And I dare you tell me that Nausicaa is somehow a cheaper, "gauche" work compared to Andromeda Stories. I dare you.

See above. Just because one book benefits from a facelift doesn't mean that all books should get one. For example, Dark Horse were wise to give Lone Wolf And Cub completely new covers and equally wise not to give, say, Akira completely new covers. Furthermore, the fact that I like the Andromeda Stories covers doesn't mean that I don't like any other covers as much or more and nor does it mean that I think all books should have covers that look just like them.
scrapps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to say what I said before, the Vertical titles aren't solely marketed toward anime or manga fans. They know that Joe Naruto fan is unlikely to pick up their titles because they "look old," but Indie Hipster may be more inclined to pick them up because they are older. Now, if I was an indie comic fan who had little knowledge of manga, what's going to catch my eye? A cover that looks like everything else on the shelf (to lots of non-fans all anime and manga looks the same) or something that looks completely different?

I know that I originally picked up To Terra because the book looked so different than everything else on the shelf, I probably wouldn't have gotten it if it looked like other books. I picked up the Yoshihiro Tatsumi books for the same reason, so maybe I still have my indie comic roots. Smile
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Quote:
I have to agree with someone earlier that my favorite covers are those of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, which are art in and of themselves, and depict stunning and dramatic elements of the work inside.

I quite agree. But unless the original covers of Andromeda Stories are similarly lovely (and similarly appealing to the audience the books were pitched to in America) that's hardly a useful comparison.

Quote:
And I dare you tell me that Nausicaa is somehow a cheaper, "gauche" work compared to Andromeda Stories. I dare you.

See above. Just because one book benefits from a facelift doesn't mean that all books should get one. For example, Dark Horse were wise to give Lone Wolf And Cub completely new covers and equally wise not to give, say, Akira completely new covers. Furthermore, the fact that I like the Andromeda Stories covers doesn't mean that I don't like any other covers as much or more and nor does it mean that I think all books should have covers that look just like them.

If you go to Amazon.co.jp, you'l find that the Japanese covers to Andromeda Stories are.... hideous. But so are these. When Dark Horse repleaced the covers to Lone Wolf and Cub, they looked good. You can make something unusual that is above the usual "gauche" design and still have it be nice to look at and intriguing enough to make even an average reader consider checking it out. These covers are cheap and uncreative - stick a shot from the manga on it and add an ugly color. Not once did I ever say that I thought the Japanese covers of this series were better (in fact, I distinctly said that the official covers of manga were also sometimes awful), just that these particular ones were bad.

Also - if something is a classic, and is really really good, then why the hell wouldn't you want to make it appealing to the average reader and not just the "elite"? Why would you want to box classics into a niche, rather than making them accessible to everyone? A mediocre series like this might not matter, but if the covers to To Terra had been moor appealingly designed, you could have had the chance to lure in a host of new readers to a series they might otherwise never had heard of. Color me an optimist if you will - but it was a good cover design that first made me pick up Gene Wolfe.
scrapps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Also - if something is a classic, and is really really good, then why the hell wouldn't you want to make it appealing to the average reader and not just the "elite"? Why would you want to box classics into a niche, rather than making them accessible to everyone? A mediocre series like this might not matter, but if the covers to To Terra had been moor appealingly designed, you could have had the chance to lure in a host of new readers to a series they might otherwise never had heard of. Color me an optimist if you will - but it was a good cover design that first made me pick up Gene Wolfe.

This isn't about any one type of fan being "elite," it's about trying to reach out to audiences beyond manga fans. I don't see how having a distinctive cover somehow makes the books inaccessible to your average fan. Only the fans themselves make this inaccessible when they won't read something because the artwork is "too old looking."

Maybe we just look for different things in covers, I'm mostly attracted to books that look different from the surrounding books rather then good or bad covers. I'm don't think the To Terra books have a great color scheme, but they look different from other titles on the shelf. I picked it up and read the synopsis. I hope other fans do the same.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
scrapps wrote:
This isn't about any one type of fan being "elite," it's about trying to reach out to audiences beyond manga fans.

Funny, your reference to "Joe Naruto fan" sure seemed to imply that. Also, given how all manga is lumped together in book stores, do you really think that non-manga fans are going to somehow stumble across this? Manga readers are your target audience, and yes, some are not well-exposed to classic manga, but that doesn't mean we should ignore them as potential readers. God forbid we use a good cover and lure "them" into reading something good for once! I really believe that if something is good, everyone should read it, and you should take whatever means necessary to attract positive attention.

Quote:
I don't see how having a distinctive cover somehow makes the books inaccessible to your average fan. Only the fans themselves make this inaccessible when they won't read something because the artwork is "too old looking."

It's distinctively unattractive, I would argue. Why would you want to look at something that just pastes on a manga panel with an ugly color, as opposed to something that looks like effort was put into making it?

Quote:
Maybe we just look for different things in covers, I'm mostly attracted to books that look different from the surrounding books rather then good or bad covers.

...which is probably true. All I was saying before this mess started out was that I agree with Casey about the covers. I hope that, while you like them, you can understand why someone could find them very, very unattractive. To me, they look like they were thrown together on Adobe Photoshop by an amateur; there's no thought put into these designs. To me they scream that Verticle didn't care enough to be bothered to come up with something truly compelling for the cover and just rushed these out cheaply.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
If you go to Amazon.co.jp, you'l find that the Japanese covers to Andromeda Stories are.... hideous. But so are these.

My like of the Vertical versions and your dislike of them are largely subjective and thus, I suppose, probably not worth arguing about. My points are that (a) rebranding them was a reasonable course of action - Casey seems to think otherwise - and (b) they're actually quite likely to appeal to the people most likely to actually buy the books, regardless of whether or not anybody else likes them.

Quote:
Also - if something is a classic, and is really really good, then why the hell wouldn't you want to make it appealing to the average reader and not just the "elite"? Why would you want to box classics into a niche, rather than making them accessible to everyone?

I don't think it's about elites or not wanting to appeal to a wider audience - it's about being realistic in your expectations. Niche novels, CDs and DVDs (regardless of whether they're actually any good or not) are carefully marketed to non-general audiences. Why would comics be any different?

Quote:
To me they scream that Verticle didn't care enough to be bothered to come up with something truly compelling for the cover and just rushed these out cheaply.

I understand that you don't like them and respect your right to that opinion but I don't think you can accuse Vertical of doing things on the cheap given that their manga covers have been produced by one of the world's best known literary graphic designers. I would imagine Chip Kid's services are anything but cheap.

Last edited by Moomintroll on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
scrapps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Funny, your reference to "Joe Naruto fan" sure seemed to imply that. Also, given how all manga is lumped together in book stores, do you really think that non-manga fans are going to somehow stumble across this?

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply any kind of elitism, but since Naruto has been a best selling title for years now, it seemed like the most general title I could think of. I don't necessarily think non-fans will be stumbling across these in a Borders, but more likely in a comic book store and that's what I think Vertical is trying to do here.

vashfanatic wrote:

...which is probably true. All I was saying before this mess started out was that I agree with Casey about the covers. I hope that, while you like them, you can understand why someone could find them very, very unattractive. To me, they look like they were thrown together on Adobe Photoshop by an amateur; there's no thought put into these designs. To me they scream that Verticle didn't care enough to be bothered to come up with something truly compelling for the cover and just rushed these out cheaply.

I don't actually like the Andromeda Stories (or even the To Terra) covers all that much, but I do think they stand out. I just don't think that they would have sold well, even if they had beautiful covers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2