• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magic Knight Rayearth (2) Age Rating

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inu_Yasha_jr.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I just got finished watching "Magic Knight Rayearth" and "Magic Knight Rayearth 2" and I decided to come on here to view the stats about it in the encyclopedia. I found out that the age rating was for older children (AKA mild bad language, bloodless violence).

Well, I think these series should get a "Teenager" rating because it DOES have a number of amounts of bloody violence in it. When someone gets cut by a sword...blood does appear, making it NOT bloodless violence. Especially in Magic Knight Rayearth 2. I know this isn't a big issue, but I just thought that these series deserved a higher age rating due to the amounts of bloody violence in it. What do you think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it should be. There is quite a bit of violence and mature themes. Confused
Ryo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:22 am Reply with quote
That's right, and it's not just 1 or 2 times in the serie either. Blood appears quite often in this serie so "Bloodless violence" shouldn't be enough.
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget the fact that spoiler[Eagle always coughed up blood because of a disease he had. That's why he wanted to become the next pillar of Cephiro, because he was gonna be dead soon anyway. Also, Don't forget Hikaru cut herself and let her blood drop to the ground so she could save her friends.]

It's also in the manga as well. My 9 year old granddaughter read volume 2 of the manga, and she showed me all of the blood and violence. And tokyopop gave the manga a rating of 7+ and my granddaughter was terrified. It should've gotten a 13+ rating due to bloody violence. I can scan images if you want me to.
Inu_Yasha_jr.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
LOL. Nah you don't have to scan them. I've seen that too. I think companies should pay more attention to what's actually in the anime to determine a rating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I've always thought of the teenage rating as equivalent to the PG-13 rating for films(Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13. This signifies that the film rated may be inappropriate for pre-teens. Parents should be especially careful about letting their younger children attend. Rough or persistent violence is absent; sexually-oriented nudity is generally absent; some scenes of drug use may be seen; one use of the harsher sexually derived words may be heard.). Whereas the PG rating for films(The film rated may contain some material parents might not like to expose to their young children - material that will clearly need to be examined or inquired about before children are allowed to attend the film. Explicit sex scenes and scenes of drug use are absent; nudity, if present, is seen only briefly, horror and violence do not exceed moderate levels.) is a little bit milder. But nonetheless, I honestly don't see where Magic Knight Rayearth particuarly excedes the PG rating. Violence in MKR is moderate and it is primarily in the form of magical attacks. The bloodless violence I believe would refer more to violence in which blood is not shown spouting out of wounds as opposed to scratches and the like showing.[/i]
Inu_Yasha_jr.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
So, Magic Users Club the tv series is meant to have a PG-13 rating because it has a teenager rating? I do not recall seeing ANY blood at all in this series, which has less violence than Magic Knight Rayearth.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
btw, both of the DVD Memorial Boxsets I have say "13-Up" on the box and every DVD.
Inu_Yasha_jr.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
btw, both of the DVD Memorial Boxsets I have say "13-Up" on the box and every DVD.
Exactly.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
...which is weird, because Rayearth was aimed towards little elementary school kids/girls (like Sailormoon was) in Japan. But over here I guess kids just aren't so desensitized? ^^; There was blood in the original Sailormoon manga too.. a few characters coughed it up. x_X

Yeah it's not bloodless violence, but dude... I showed the first season of Rayearth to my brother when he was 9 and he had no problems with it, and he's a kid that's into Hamtaro, Kirby, and Pokemon.. he isn't a boy that's into violence and guns and disgusting things. Anime smile;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1