• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gainax's Hanamaru Kindergarten (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Hanamaru Kindergarten (TV)

You can watch it here!
http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Hanamaru_Kindergarten

So what has Gainax and director of the first FMA series and Gundam 00 Seiji Mizushima cooked up for this winter season? A very, utterly cute manga adaptation about a new and actually the first male kindergarten teacher named Tsuchida at his first day of school with the student body full of Potemayos (ok, not really, but MAN those kindergartners are short)! Obviously this first episode introduces a good number of characters from the female kid leads; the outgoing Anzu, the stoical Hiiragi, and the shy Koume, and the female teachers (in which Tsuchuda realized he is "living a dream" Cool ). This episode threw in a little curve ball spoiler[in this which Tsuchida met up with his old high school sempai Sakura at the kindergarten ceremony. Not only Sakura got married at a very young age with her teacher back in high school, she's actually the mother of Anzu, the girl who claimed that he was hitting on her. The mother-daughter duo is obviously going to tease Tsuchida on that. Laughing ]

Overall, the comedy is seriously good fun and not ridiculously sleazy at all. It also makes sure the three girls and the teachers have their comedic moment so there is a sense of balance. And Hiiragi's pajamas seem to have a life of its own. So get rid of any nasty preconceptions you have and give this a shot! The director definitely has a good sense in comedy here.
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll back up your positive initial post - this one definitely took me by surprise. A simple premise for a simple anime, it still had me smiling all the way through. It's interesting, lighthearted and funny, and I completely enjoyed the first episode. I loved the little interactions with the kids (especially Hii-chan) and the squeaking of their shoes as they walked had me laughing (even if it has been done before).

Nothing too intense but for sure it was fun, and doesn't seem to have any really annoying or unlikeable characters. I like the fact that the old school friend is married; it seemed a refreshing change from the old "school friend pops up out of nowhere and becomes smitten" bag. Looking forward to episode 2!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Any anime that has parents, as characters, should be automatically labelled as 'refreshing'.

The anime is indeed lighthearted and fun. We have two groups here (children and adults [much like in Kodomo no Jikan]), both of them have full life of their own, yet when they combine - the Comedy begins.

I also hope for a bit of romance between Tsuchida and Yamamoto. Though it's already apparent Tsuchida will need some magic to get the cute co-worker at least somewhat interested in him.

Oh, and, how can someone not love the ending sequence which simply oozes cuteness? Looking forward to more.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping this wouldn't feel like a lolicon show, and despite it's quite large simularities to Kodomo no Jikan, I think it tries quite well to stay away from that. In fact I imagine some of the character designs are meant help it steer clear of that.

Although spoiler[it was funny how Anzu made him look like a lolicon, by saying she knew he likes kids becaus he hit on her Very Happy . Or when Anzu said she would be his bride, climbed onto him and when some of the mothers were saying maybe he does 'like' kids, Sakura calls to them and say's they have her blessing Laughing .]

Kind of strange that the charecters are so simular to Kodomo no Jikan, we have the outgoing main girl, eccentric kind of dark girl and really shy girl. Aswell as knew inexperienced male teacher who is also a lead andbig breasted slightly experienced female teacher, though in this he likes her instead of the other way around.

I would like to see more of how this goes, and how Tsuchida is going to be teased. Though he might get arressted as aparently it can be a criminal offence to even talk to a lost child in Japan.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Kind of strange that the charecters are so simular to Kodomo no Jikan, we have the outgoing main girl, eccentric kind of dark girl and really shy girl.

Yeah, that combination of characters has never been seen before anywhere else, either.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Though Haruhi doesn't like her teacher, actually there are very few people she likes in general. But I get your point, it is actually pretty funny if you remember some parts of Haruhi-chan which had them acting like kids especialy eppisode 18 (digging hole).
Skylark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2!

This series really is awesome so I'm throwing out some propaganda. I loved the little confrontation of knowledge between the bully kid and Hii-chan, and Hanamaru's fruitless attempts to pay attention to all the little things happening in his classroom. Having taught a 6 year old how to play guitar for nearly a year now, I can understand this pretty well... barely getting the answer to one question out before another is fired off. But hear he has to deal with a whole class of them... it must be tough. Also, the space ED theme was EPIC!

A lot of love for this show that isn't getting much around here. Seriously, people, give it a shot. It is much more than you expect, I guarantee it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2....ok, I'm definitely keeping tabs with this series! This is seriously managing on being cute and enjoyable without crossing the line of creepiness (which makes me fear of the doujins that will come out for C78 Mad).

First half: spoiler[Tsuchida-sensei had a rough start with him inadvertently let Anzu and her friends wander around school unsupervised. Then he has gotten his class a little too rowdy due to the rumor Anzu started with her and him going out with each other. Things got settled down when he started playing with the kids and going down the big slide with Anzu and the others (they were too scared to go on alone).
]

Second half: spoiler[One of the kids named Kenji has gotten an inferiority complex due to Hiiragi knowing more stuff than he is. This escalated to a point where he challenged her to find a ghost that's been rumored in the forest and expose its identity. Tsuchida-sensei overheard their conversation and forbade them on doing this. So Kenji foolishly went into the forest at night in order to expose the identity of a ghost first but later got lost and scared. Thankfully Hiiragi found him and he later admitted defeat. The next day, he wanted her to be his master! Laughing ]

New ED sequence (I'm guessing there's going to be a new one for every episode): Gainax.....just being Gainax. Only they could make it into an epic space monster movie! Laughing Laughing

On another note, Hiiragi must have an endless supply of costumes to wear which includes this one.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
On another note, Hiiragi must have an endless supply of costumes to wear which includes this one.

Her teddy bear and neko~pyon costumes can't help but get a dawwwww! out of even the hardest people, for sure. Her space panda was great too, and of course the little Yoko reference there at the end. I'm really surprised this has been getting as little reaction as it has.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Although I wouldn't say that this is the best new series of the season, it is certainly the cutest. Being cute and (so far) not perverted at all makes this series one of my favorites though.

Even though characters like Hiiragi have been done countless times before (she reminds me especially of that one character in School Rumble) I always love how their facial expressions never change dramatically but you can still totally tell whats going on in their heads. Anzu's obvious innocence conveniently keeps her from becoming the stereotypical spunky girl, too. Koume is very cute, although a pretty flat character so far. I wonder if she'll get any depth?

I didn't realize that the episodes were split into two parts until this episode. It reminds me of a kids' TV show, though I don't know when this one is aired. The audience is still otaku, though, right?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
It has been good so far, I fear some people will get turn away by the animation or think that it might be perverted. But it is quite alright and cute so far, I think they are just trying to seperate the children from the adults in a visual way.

I would say that it is still not made specificly for kids as there are a couple of taboo subjects, though hopefully it keeps it tame.

I would like to bring up a couple of things like Hiiragi's costumes, quite cute, and the one at the end was a bit of a surprise. The parody ED looked pretty funny, if they are going to have a different one each time like Sora no Otoshimano, then that will be among one of the reasons I wil be looking foward to these episodes.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3!

First half! spoiler[A love triangle is brewing as Hiiragi explained among Tsuchida-sensei, Yamamoto-sensei, and Anzu. Anzu should realize she's out of her league though the way she kept climbing on Tsuchida just to get his attention but he kept on putting her down was just too adorable! Anime hyper

And then there's her cooking.....uhhhh.....why am I not surprised her mom let her cook? Laughing

Of course Tsuchida's real motivation is getting tips from the boys on Dragon Quest! Ahhh, life as a gamer and a teacher!]

Second half is all about Yamamoto's daily life. spoiler[It seems she lives with her younger sister away from her parents. One thing to note is she is such a nice, charming, and big-breasted female where everyone has just fallen for her charms. Too bad she's utterly oblivious to any guy who tries to hit on her. Poor Tsuchida! Laughing
]

New ED sequence: Anzu gives a flower ring to Yamamoto-sensei......hehehe!
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
Definitely enjoying this series and it's what I had hoped for; an innocent, slice of life comedy series. Although the character designs gave good insurance that it wasn't going to be an ecchi or sleazy series, I was still worried in the back of my mind. The parallels that some people draw between this series and Kodomo no Jikan didn't help the matter -_- . But its natural for most people to draw parallels between the most current incarnations so I guess I'll let it slide. It just doesn't seem like an accurate parallel and will definitely draw the wrong conclusions. This is a very innocent series.

While it might use the similar jokes or situations of kids knowing too much about adult stuff but not enough to understand what they are actually saying, its definitely done in the innocent of a child point of view rather then what you would get from a fan service or ecchi series. spoiler[A good example would be the love triangle scene. While its a "love triangle" its only so on a technical point and not really from a overall plot point or any real factor to the story like that outside of jokes or comic setup. And I love Anzu's reaction throughout Hiiragi's explanation.]

Hiiragi is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Her little reactions of enthusiasm, like with the slide, or when she gets shy/embarrassed and starts to dance were adorable. Although I keep forgetting that she has eyes like the rest of the characters so its surprising when they draw her with them rather their her funny stoic eyes.

Overall its very nice and refreshing to mix this type of series into your anime mix and I would recommending catching the legal streams. Probably won't be best of 2010 type of series but definitely one that should be on your list of what to watch at some point or follow along with weekly.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah it is still going good. Highlights of episode three are Anzu spoiler[trying to show her love through "cooking"], Tsuchida spoiler[getting game advice from the kids], and Yamamoto's spoiler[general oblivious to being hit on, thus not understanding she was being asked out, she doesn't even think males find her attractive]. Oh and Hiiragi's dance, she keeps it quite interesting.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Just got done with episode 3

This show, is so cute, and the panda neko dance is just <3

I mean thats all I really have to say it's just cute and fun to watch
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4