• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - River City Revival

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
Oh, wow, am I the first commenter?

Anyway, I'm questioning the whole "closest NAMCO's come to a new The Legend of Valkyrie game in over ten years, and I can't afford to be picky" line.

What about Namco x Capcom? Valkyrie was a playable character, even.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
if Xenoblade has a battle system like FFXII, then no thank you. It's game, it's meant to be PLAYED not WATCHED.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Anyway, I'm questioning the whole "closest NAMCO's come to a new The Legend of Valkyrie game in over ten years, and I can't afford to be picky" line.

That's like saying Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is a new Dead Rising game. Not that Sgt. Frog is any better.

Edit: Also, HELLS YEAH DUDLEY. I'm one of the people who's kinda ticked over the new voice, just because Bruce Robertson gave him pretty much the perfect mix of upperclass arrogance in SF3. I'm reserving full judgment until I hear the new guy call somebody "gutter trash," though.

Last edited by Shale on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
Dessa wrote:

That's like saying Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is a new Dead Rising game.

At least Valkyrie is playable, as opposed to a cameo that presumably has nothing to do with the story.
Sarukah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
I love you Todd for mentioning KOS-MOS and/or Xenosaga so much. KOS-MOS can never have enough mention<3
domino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
Does the new version of Lunar have the same fabulous Working Designs translation?

Working Designs made bland RPG dialogue into something that actually MADE me want to talk to everyone in town. I miss them.

Those pop culture references were probably a lot more relevant 10 years ago, but I'd still prefer them over hearing NPCs say "gee the weather sure is nice" or "monsters in the forest sure are dangerous" for the thousandth time.

Also, with all of the PSP ports of awesome old RPGs finally making it to the USA, who at Konami do I have to sleep with to get a North American release for Suikoden I and II on PSP?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
domino wrote:
Does the new version of Lunar have the same fabulous Working Designs translation?

Working Designs made bland RPG dialogue into something that actually MADE me want to talk to everyone in town. I miss them.

The colorful dialouge is what made the PS1 version of Silver Star one of my favorite RPGs ever despite the early '90's blandness of its gameplay. I actually liked the characters! The anime cut-scenes, as brief as they were, were a big help in giving the character an image over than the little sprite and a voice.
toddc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
domino wrote:

No, it's a new translation from XSEED. It's not bad, and it's even funny in some places, but don't expect the townspeople to talk about deodorant, Wheaties, or the mysteries of Baywatch.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
if Xenoblade has a battle system like FFXII, then no thank you. It's game, it's meant to be PLAYED not WATCHED.

As I recall, gambits were an option...

That said....I still fail to see the logic of a ninja running around barefoot. Confused Aren't they supposed to be all stealthy and crap? Doing that leaves behind finger pr...er, toe/foot prints? Yeah. Not very practical.

She's still cute though. Embarassed
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:19 am Reply with quote
I too am concerned to hear comparison's being made to FFXII.

John Casey wrote:
As I recall, gambits were an option...

The battles were so simple and so repetitive though that turning gambits off was actually more tedious. If I wanted to perform an endless series of repetitive tasks that require no thinking or skill I would get a job.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
Excited for the Lunar release, mostly because it this does well... we might get the same treatment for Grandia I. Anime cry I want that so bad. The dub is so atrocious that it actually deters me from replaying it too often. Laughing
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:09 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
The battles were so simple and so repetitive though that turning gambits off was actually more tedious. If I wanted to perform an endless series of repetitive tasks that require no thinking or skill I would get a job.
What the heck are you playing a jRPG for then?
I loved the gambit system, but that could just be because it let you program your own simple AI.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote
I thought that during slow news weeks, as this article clearly seems to be, there was going to be coverage of Western made games, so why is Heavy Rain being ignored here when it's such a significant release?

edzieba wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Too true, I was going to ask this myself. The double standards(And seeming outright ignorance) from "JRPG fans" continues when it comes to FFXII I see. FFXII was ironically the least repetitive of the FF games when it came to actual gameplay, if for no other reason than it featured NO random battles, easily the most tediously outdated "gameplay mechanic" still present in JRPGs.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Better question: Why the heck do you play them? I mean, if you find them so tedious...

I for one don't share your low opinion of them. The good ones at least do require some degree of intelligence and skill. I play them because I enjoy the various tactical and strategic elements of them.

Letthemeatraep wrote:
Too true, I was going to ask this myself. The double standards(And seeming outright ignorance) from "JRPG fans" continues when it comes to FFXII I see.

Holy crap! We disagree about a video game. Quick! Call me names and act like a child! Rolling Eyes
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
Giant underwater creatures creep me right the hell out too. It's because the water gives you little depth for vision and the moment something shows up, it either pops out right in front of ya or swirls around your leg. You'd be flinching more times in the dark than in Ghosthunters.

I never liked to play Ecco the Dolphin in fear of Octopi, Sharks, and other aquatic predators that threaten my sonar-powered porpoise, and don't get me started on those Arcade machines with you swimming underwater. Not my cup of tea for a game.

Oddly enough, I'll watch plenty of horror movies placed underwater though.

Anyone seen Sphere?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3