• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Reports 5.7 Billion Yen Loss in 2009

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Ouch, what the hell is happening?
acadia2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
Pedestrian A wrote:
Ouch, what the hell is happening?

Global recession. A switch to internet base magna subscriptions(maybe). Rise in fuel/energy costs, paper manufacturing, and less subscribers themselves due to unemployment and/or reduced salaries.

Some have speculated this thing called an Anime/Manga bubble that's bursting due to a flood of poor quality manga/anime's being made.

ANN ought to study that last thing I mentioned for a future article on the State of the Anime/Manga industry.

The industry is not dying by any means, it is overdue for a bit of 'pruning' one would say.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
If I had to guess, I'd say it's because Japanese people are having fewer children and fewer of the children who are growing up buy manga as compared to previous years. Declining sales + hard economic times means companies aren't buying as much advertising in magazines ergo the precipitous 25% decline in ad revenue. Pretty ugly stuff.

I blame the manga cows.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
people are getting smarter.

or tired of repetitive collecting of mangas when they're available somewhere else.

or just don't have budget for mangas when it can be used for more important stuff.

or the company just overproduced....

or the mangas cost too much....

or not that interesting.

or it's a thing of the past...lol
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
If I had to guess, I'd say it's because Japanese people are having fewer children and fewer of the children who are growing up buy manga as compared to previous years.

I agree with this statement. For most part, I have read that Japan will have a age demographic (people in the young adult age when compared to the elderly aged) imbalance within a few decades.

It surprises me to see even a big publishing company like Kodasha struggle like this. I thought that the entertainment industry usually fares well in times of recession.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
It surprises me to see even a big publishing company like Kodasha struggle like this. I thought that the entertainment industry usually fares well in times of recession.

That WAS the common wisdom until THIS recession. Entertainment and media in general has really gotten sucker-punched in every direction this time around, and only theatrical grosses on big blockbuster movies are proving immune this time. Every other aspect of entertainment -- television, indie theatrical, home video, book and magazine publishing, internet ads -- is in a state of deep hurting right now, not just anime.
RedZ1900

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote
I'll tell you why this is happening. It's all happening because of cheap ba****ds who don't buy their manga because they read it online, and also because of scanlators who scan and translate full chapters of manga without paying for them. That's what's happening
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
pf91rodman wrote:
I'll tell you why this is happening. It's all happening because of cheap ba****ds who don't buy their manga because they read it online, and also because of scanlators who scan and translate full chapters of manga without paying for them. That's what's happening

Yes, because people who download manga online caused the global recession.

In all seriousness, that may be part of it, but it's such a small part of it it's barey worth mentioning. It's like the people who cry foul of people who download music when those same people are the ones that buy the most music.

@ jsevakis You're slightly off there, in that even indie movies have been a fairly decent hit, mostly depending on how good they are though. Just look at Ink for reference, where it jumped several thousand places in the imdb after its "worldwide" release (on torrents yes, but they have a donate option at the website and they've made a lot more than the production costs already). Also, several publishing companies are foregoing DRM e-books and have seen a rather healthy increase in sales compared to previous years, though not all companies have that option available (since distributors like Amazon require DRM).

The problem is more than just one thing or the other, but one major marketing flaw is DRM, in that it makes the pirated versions more desireable than legal versions, which has been put into a very good infographic which can be seen here http://t1.xavimg.com/2010/02/piratelegal.jpg
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
pf91rodman wrote:

In all seriousness, that may be part of it, but it's such a small part of it it's barey worth mentioning. It's like the people who cry foul of people who download music when those same people are the ones that buy the most music.

@ jsevakis You're slightly off there, in that even indie movies have been a fairly decent hit, mostly depending on how good they are though. Just look at Ink for reference, where it jumped several thousand places in the imdb after its "worldwide" release (on torrents yes, but they have a donate option at the website and they've made a lot more than the production costs already). Also, several publishing companies are foregoing DRM e-books and have seen a rather healthy increase in sales compared to previous years, though not all companies have that option available (since distributors like Amazon require DRM).

The problem is more than just one thing or the other, but one major marketing flaw is DRM, in that it makes the pirated versions more desireable than legal versions, which has been put into a very good infographic which can be seen here http://t1.xavimg.com/2010/02/piratelegal.jpg

I don't see how DRM applies in this discussion. The anime/manga industry is nothing like the music/movie/gaming industry. A lot of the anime series rarely have DRM on them but guess you don't know that if you don't really buy or download legally from legal sources or not from the right places legally.

Also piracy is impacted on the anime/manga industry a lot more because it is smaller than the movie/music industry. Pirating is a more acceptable practice then in the movie/music industry.

Most fansubbers nowadays don't encourage viewers to support the industry but the fansubbers themselves. That is the fundamental issue. Fans are supporting fansubbers instead of the actually studio that is producing the material in the first place.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:42 am Reply with quote
This is Japan we're talking about. Instead of buying a magazine to read on a train, they're likely using their cell phones nonstop.

And when they're at home, chances are that they are likely doing something other than reading manga. Perhaps they are playing video games or surfing the internet.

There are simply other options out there other than books or manga. It doesn't have to have anything to do with book piracy.

Last edited by adam_omega on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:45 am; edited 3 times in total
ac195

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:43 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Daemonblue wrote:
pf91rodman wrote:

I don't see how DRM applies in this discussion. The anime/manga industry is nothing like the music/movie/gaming industry. A lot of the anime series rarely have DRM on them but guess you don't know that if you don't really buy or download legally from legal sources or not from the right places legally.

Also piracy is impacted on the anime/manga industry a lot more because it is smaller than the movie/music industry. Pirating is a more acceptable practice then in the movie/music industry.

Most fansubbers nowadays don't encourage viewers to support the industry but the fansubbers themselves. That is the fundamental issue. Fans are supporting fansubbers instead of the actually studio that is producing the material in the first place.

If something is great... people buy it.
If it's cr@p... people don't buy it.

All scans/streams/fansubs do is let people try before they buy... and guess what... most of the stuff that's out there is crap... don't blame the audience if companies pump out soulless products one after the other.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:01 am Reply with quote
Than explain the massive online presence of One Piece while its sales are only above average.

Is Negima such a better manga than One Piece? Is Twilight one of the greatest novels in the past decade?

Gundam Seed was hugely popular and incredibly well received and the series completely flopped when it came to America.
ac195

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:11 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Than explain the massive online presence of One Piece while its sales are only above average.

Is Negima such a better manga than One Piece? Is Twilight one of the greatest novels in the past decade?

Gundam Seed was hugely popular and incredibly well received and the series completely flopped when it came to America.

Demographics... you clearly do not understand them.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:53 am Reply with quote
pf91rodman wrote:

It's debatable how big of an effect scans have on the manga industry. It's certainly possible it plays some role in this. When you ignore the mammoth sized elephant in the room (economic troubles) that coincide almost perfectly with this and instead choose to rant about the evil pirates...well it's just pointless nerd-rage.

Daemonblue wrote:

I think perhaps the problem is just how easy piracy has become. I mean, a person can be so brain dead that they can't even find the menu or top menu button on their remote but they can still figure piracy out. Hence the problem demonstrated by that 'infographic' as you call it. Rolling Eyes

ac195 wrote:

Yeah...that's fine in some people's cases. The problem is that to a lot of people, something more or less the same was what they can get free online seems pretty 'crappy' regardless of the content.

I mean, I totally agree that the anime and manga industries need to improve the content offered to keep people interested. At the same time though, simply saying that people will buy it as long as it's good is naive. Some people just don't give a damn.
ac195

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:06 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

ac195 wrote:

Yeah...that's fine in some people's cases. The problem is that to a lot of people, something more or less the same was what they can get free online seems pretty 'crappy' regardless of the content.

I mean, I totally agree that the anime and manga industries need to improve the content offered to keep people interested. At the same time though, simply saying that people will buy it as long as it's good is naive. Some people just don't give a damn.

And those people that just don't give a damn... wouldn't have bought the product anyway... I fail to see your point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4