• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Diabolical Ruh-minations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

...No. Succinctly, the easy-to-understand meaning of the series was "life is really hard, but there's only one reality and we're kind of stuck with it, so work hard to make the most of it, and because its real it had value that fantasy can never have"

Well, this isn't an EVA discussion thread, so this will be my last post in response to this particular train of thought, but you are now pulling a Napier of sorts, as you see her flaws. Because Shinji's actions are so self-destructive and he seems happy at the end with his declaration of "I am me. My life is worth living," you assume he has come to terms with reality. You are sadly mistaken. That's actually a very Western sentiment, although it is present in a lot of anime, it isn't in EVA, not at all.

He has really come to terms with the assertions of the collective mind after Third Impact. What does the collective mind say? I refer you to approximately two straight episodes of textbook postmodern existentialist theory. The essential conclusions:

1. "There are as many truths as there are people and all are equal because of their 'trueness' to that individual." (I know that's not a word, but I'm trying to keep it simple.)
2. "Truth is distinct from reality because reality shapes your truth but doesn't actually matter. Your perception of reality matters."
3. "This perception of reality is fragile and can be changed at any time. Once perception of reality is changed, truth is changed, and this enables the individual to alter reality."

Postmodern existentialism, ladies and gentlemen. I wish it really were that simple, but there's more to it that would take pages of nonsense upon nonsense to extrapolate.

Shinji comes to terms with himself not because his life is worth living...honestly, all evidence suggests otherwise at this point, he has severe changes to make. Still, Shinji comes to terms with himself because "he wants to continue living in the world and be himself." Through that "truth," which he has created, he manifests a reality that is pleasing to him and can say "My life is worth living here," thus actualizing it and making it true. His life is not worth living because of some outside determiner of its value, but because of his essential ego, his will to live. If he says he is not worthless, then it will be so.

I find this all to be garbage, but that's just me.

Like I said, I don't quite remember what Napier wrote, but she at least has it closer than you do, actually. Take the text (and the subtext) for what it is, not what you would like it to be. I mean...that's WHY I hate Evangelion. In many other ways it's brilliant and I would like to say I thoroughly enjoy it, but things like that message and the ludicrous ep. 24 just keep me from anything but abhorring it.

Anyway, I don't wanna derail the thread, but just look at the scenes I mentioned. Those last two episodes are really all you need, but there's plenty of little scenes in before that throughout the series. Your analysis is off because you want something for Shinji that just isn't gonna happen until maybe EoE, where Anno once again tweaked his philosophy a bit, and that's still a massive maybe.
robcomet1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that I'm happy to see Brian Ruh becoming part of the ANN team. I've been a fan of his since his book came out and find what he has to say very interesting and informative. He's a good guy and ANN is lucky to have him!

Thanks!

-Rob
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
So, is this new column going to be strictly about various people in the anime industry or discussing various tropes and/or symbolism and what have you? Because that sounds totally awesome and something I would definately check out. Bring it on!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Like I said, I don't quite remember what Napier wrote, but she at least has it closer than you do, actually.

Well, you are arguing with the guy who jumps around in a V for Vendetta costume at anime conventions and yells about Evangelion.

You could also go down to Mann's Chinese Theater and get into a debate about ingrained subconscious misogyny in Marvel Comics with the guy wearing the top half of a Spiderman costume and blue sweatpants.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I refer you to approximately two straight episodes of textbook postmodern existentialist theory. The essential conclusions:

Because these statements present, to a first approximation, a theory of truth somewhat incompatible with those commonly found within the analytic tradition in which I am schooled, might I ask out of scholarly interest which textbooks you had in mind when providing this overview?

Quote:

I encourage you to develop this further. Admittedly, the third point you summarise differs only slightly from notions to which I grant a degree of credence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
If this is what passes for Eva analysis anymore, than we need a new ReVolution...

As someone who has actually taken Napier's class, I can say with some authority that she is not passing down her analysis as Gospel truth that no one can disagree with. In response papers, people did disagree, and they got high marks if they supported their points with evidence. She also provided additional readings and different perspectives from Levi, McCarthy, Clements, Kinsella and others. Scholarship is always a work in progress.

If you disagree with one scholar's analysis, the best antidote is to provide a better analysis. Write a book, or submit an article to Mechademia. The community will appreciate you for adding constructively to the debate.
flcl573

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Mayoi Neko Overrun is supposed to be satire of the degradation of the genre, and in that respect, it is a work of genius. None of the critics here realized this. That is all.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

Like I said, I don't quite remember what Napier wrote, but she at least has it closer than you do, actually.

Well, you are arguing with the guy who jumps around in a V for Vendetta costume at anime conventions and yells about Evangelion.

You could also go down to Mann's Chinese Theater and get into a debate about ingrained subconscious misogyny in Marvel Comics with the guy wearing the top half of a Spiderman costume and blue sweatpants.

*spit take* Oh, I see. I was not aware. Laughing I enjoy talking about this stuff enough, and don't often get the opportunity, that I don't stop to think often enough if it's worth all the breath I tend to put into it. It could be a bloody fence post with a tape recorder tied to it spouting arguments and I might even stop to debate...hopefully, I wouldn't stop for very long.

Zin5ki wrote:
Because these statements present, to a first approximation, a theory of truth somewhat incompatible with those commonly found within the analytic tradition in which I am schooled, might I ask out of scholarly interest which textbooks you had in mind when providing this overview?

Weeeeell, that's the thing. Those theories are so wide-ranging that the doctrine of existentialism itself is going to be subjective. One theorist will say one thing, one will say another. There is no definitive text for the school of thought, either, and it's not even one school, it's a dozen. So it doesn't surprise me that the conclusions I enumerated don't match up with ones you've heard.

I'm speaking to a very specific branch, a singular school of thought as explained to me mostly by authors that didn't believe it and therefore would not be of use to you. Why? Because the founders of the belief make no sense. Their writings are ugly, contradictive, destructive things to try and process, so I preferred to read about them in encyclopedic or modernist overviews of the work that basically boiled down the important points and exposed them as kind of ridiculous. I don't agree with most existential theory, even the more empirical and so called "theistic" branches. (Yes, someone tried to combine the two. Ever heard of the Emergent Church Movement? It's odd.) Still, it is plausible and makes sense. Postmodern existentialism doesn't.

I did read an awful lot of Simulacra and Simulation, (still couldn't finish THAT,) and I guess that's the best source for what I'm talking about...I think it's one of the parent sources, actually.

Or better yet, research the life of Woody Allen. Not his movies, but his life. He did not subscribe to the theory because he was smarter than that, he was something of a nihilist, but as to the choices he made in his life and career: "Sometimes the heart just wants what it wants."

Zin5ki wrote:
I encourage you to develop this further. Admittedly, the third point you summarise differs only slightly from notions to which I grant a degree of credence.

There. Watch that or something. I ain't doin that again! Laughing

EDIT: @Hellkorn I said it was an oversimplification, so I was just pointing out why _V_ was horribly off. A lot of my very basic points need clarification. But I'm not getting into another EVA discussion. I've said my peace on the thing a number of times and this is noooot the place. Anime dazed

Last edited by JacobC on Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely looking for to Ruh's column.

Zac's comparison with Oshii's Innocence and Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle actually makes a lot of sense; unlike Ponyo, though, I don't think The Sky Crawlers is a real comeback.

JesuOtaku wrote:
It's pomo existentialism, which kind of considers itself "higher" than humanistic branches of existentialism because it believes that reality sucks harder. Anime dazed I dunno, it's complicated. It's hardly as sophisticated as its few believers think considering it revolves around a singular contradiction: "There are no absolutes." (Except this absolute statement!)
Evangelion, Episode 26 wrote:
KENSUKE:
But there is only one truth for you.
One made from your narrow perception of the world
and from information that was altered to protect yourself,
a warped truth.

TOJI:
Well, one person's perception of the world's bound to be tiny anyway.

HIKARI:
But people only have that tiny ruler to measure their surroundings with.
These two quotes are incongruous with each other, fwiw. If you disagree, and do continue to assert that Evangelion stresses absolute subjectivity, we could continue discussion via PM or through that Really Big Evangelion in the anime section.

JesuOtaku wrote:
He has really come to terms with the assertions of the collective mind after Third Impact.
Wait, wait -- if I'm not misunderstanding you, are you saying that spoiler[Shinji does not reject Instrumentality, and stays in the collective in the television series? Because that, uh, doesn't make any sense.]

Quote:
Shinji comes to terms with himself not because his life is worth living...honestly, all evidence suggests otherwise at this point, he has severe changes to make. Still, Shinji comes to terms with himself because "he wants to continue living in the world and be himself." Through that "truth," which he has created, he manifests a reality that is pleasing to him and can say "My life is worth living here," thus actualizing it and making it true. His life is not worth living because of some outside determiner of its value, but because of his essential ego, his will to live. If he says he is not worthless, then it will be so.

What you're describing is more like the philosophical outlook of RahXephon. Evangelion is more akin to a three-tiered aspect of identification: your own isolated viewpoint, others' (society, etc.) viewpoints, and your reactions to those viewpoints. Shinji basically takes the first step to overcoming his shortcomings: he doesn't need the Eva to completely define him. I don't think it needs a genius to figure out that this is a not-so-subtle-allusion to not having your job define all of who you are (and in Japan's case, that's an even more vital message). The same thing applies later when a common analogy of different moods associated with rainy days, and how one's perspective on them changes one's emotional state.

I'm not sure how that's "garbage," but whatever.

Last edited by HellKorn on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Ack, Zac has changed his avatar! Dude, it's like I don't even know you any more... Wink
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Do you give everyone a raise, or do you come up with new projects to keep everyone employed and hopefully bring in more money?

Well, if no projects have been currently assigned, of course there's only one reasonable option. However...

Quote:
Sometimes the animation studios are part of that committee, but usually only if the project is an original work.

...maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've seen an original work in a very, very, very long time. Those which are original usually appear as very short OVAs and we all know how frequent those are today.

Quote:
And even then, they're seldom the sole source of funding -- their pockets aren't THAT deep, they've gotten outside help by bringing a distributor or other potential investors onboard.

Hello, FUNimation! New producer of anime. Wink Sorry, couldn't resist.

Regardless of how these committees are formed or why, the very essence of their existence is why the industry is hurting and why IP control is such a problem. The very moment the industry caged itself is the very moment it killed itself.

I recall a CEO (of Toei, I think) who said they needed to broaden their market. Not to a new audience, but to new subscribers. They needed fresh investors, many of which are right in front of their noses.

Heh. Someone's pretty smart, but sadly, the article denotes the same things many of us are already aware of and that's fear to change, which is considered a large risk.

Quote:
Pierrot and Toei both do this, and it's most certainly helped them keep the lights on.

For them, though. For those studios/investors which don't have the means to secure additional revenue streams because others in the same committee have them, well, let's hope they can keep their lights turned on.

The one thing I do know is not everyone in the committee gets equal billing of the revenues.

Quote:
So even if it's work-for-hire, the animation studio would still be involved from day two, if not day one.

Yes, but isn't this based on which studio has the "open door" at the time? It's not a huge coincidence so many studio names appear in anime today. It's as though the studios are one large company with independent branches, rather than individual companies vying for projects. Spice & Wolf is a great example (because it's in the news). Season 1's anime production was done by Imagin, but season 2's by Brains Base and Marvie Jack (co-production).

Quote:
Nope, budgets for these projects are notoriously tight. The crap wages the animators get are the result of these tight budgets, the surplus of animators (supply vs demand), and years of "well, that's how it's done" thinking.

Wait. You just said "nope", but this is what I've been saying. Otherwise, those studios which produced (drew, not financed) Dragonball, One Piece, etc. would be in a much better position financially but yet, they're not despite the success of the series. Something smells like fish here.

Quote:
It's one of the problems with work for hire, because when there's not as much work, prices go down across the board, even over years, despite inflation.

Can't argue this one, as the proof is pretty much evident. However, recessions have come to Japan before and they'll come again. Anime stayed then as it will stay now. Casualties are expected. So buckle up, fans. There may be a few more doors closing by year's end.

Quote:
I've stopped worrying so much about the other Asian countries aping Japan.

I'm not thinking art, I'm thinking quantity. If the Chinese animation industry takes off, there's no disputing China will take considerable losses to flood the market with production demand and could very well influence the Korean market, forcing anime production to stall or come to a complete halt.

Anyone remember when Sony was a leader in electronics? Yep. Same thing.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
flcl573 wrote:
Mayoi Neko Overrun is supposed to be satire of the degradation of the genre, and in that respect, it is a work of genius. None of the critics here realized this. That is all.

Then not only did it fool the critics, it seems to have fooled just about all those who enjoyed it as well. When satire is indistinguishable from the object of satire, it ceases to be satire.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Quote:
Sometimes the animation studios are part of that committee, but usually only if the project is an original work.

...maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've seen an original work in a very, very, very long time. Those which are original usually appear as very short OVAs and we all know how frequent those are today.

You should look into the Anime no Chikara project. As your avatar/user information suggests that you are a fan of Aria, I think you might like Sora no Woto. That wasn't based on any pre-existing property.
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Just want to chime in: I remember that old Production IG English language forum... wow.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Do you realize how long I held onto my beer when I first listened to this podcast last night Zac! It got warm! There is a ring on my table now! Damn you Zac. Damn you. Okay there was no ring but beer that nears room temperature is not real beer! I cried Zac. I cried!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6