• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Senkō no Night Raid's 7th Episode Streamed, Not Aired

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
As I thought, they'd never throw a negative light on it. Lack of airtime, shows some degree of sensitivity.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
Wow, a show about Japan/China relations in the 30s has a controversial episode. Color me surprised Rolling Eyes
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
Far from being controversial, I think Senkou no Night Raid has so far been pretty dull. The setting had a lot of potential (and pitfalls because of the political sensitivity), but I consider the show a pretty big disappointment at the moment. On the other hand, I really like the OP. Let's see what they do with this episode.
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Unlike hissatsu01, I have found Senkou no Night Raid to be an enjoyable anime.

In some aspects it reminds me of an altered spin on "Darker than Black" But the nice thing about this anime is that all the characters are not 14yrs old. It's the first anime in sometime that actually depicts adults rather than kids & teenagers. As strange as it sounds, you can actually be older than 14 to save the world.

So, Senkou no Night Raid isn't dull.

As to the "Streaming Only" episode, there's doesn't seem to be any implied reason nor does it explain why a "recap" is being broadcast instead (pre-mature for that, imo).

~td99
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Ah! Looks like they've opened that big can labelled WORMS that's been sitting next to the can opener since the show started.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
tripperdan99 wrote:
But the nice thing about this anime is that all the characters are not 14yrs old. It's the first anime in sometime that actually depicts adults rather than kids & teenagers.

That really isn't true at all. Just this season, Tatami Galaxy, Giant Killing, House of Five Leaves, Arakawa Under the Bridge, Hakuoki, and Major (6th season) all feature non-teenage casts, and I'd consider at least four of them (or maybe all of them) to be better than Senkou no Night Raid. While I consider it a plus to have an adult cast, that alone is no reason to consider it good. It's been all downhill since the first episode. And as far as I can tell, the consensus online appears to be one of disappointment.

Quote:

So, Senkou no Night Raid isn't dull.

If you like it that's great, but I can't say I'd recommend it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
tripperdan99 wrote:
As to the "Streaming Only" episode, there's doesn't seem to be any implied reason nor does it explain why a "recap" is being broadcast instead (pre-mature for that, imo).

Uh... you realize that what this episode will be about is a controversial "supposed" attack that "justified" Japan invading another country, right? I fully support them not airing the episode.

As for the recap, as they're streaming the episode, they need to do something for the time slot it would've held. Either another show in its place, or a recap. I like that they're doing a recap in this manner, since a lot of times you notice connections you didn't before. And many shows have been doing the early recaps lately, too.
unready

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
tripperdan99 wrote:

Uh... you realize that what this episode will be about is a controversial "supposed" attack that "justified" Japan invading another country, right? I fully support them not airing the episode.

While I'm disappointed that the show is apparently going to represent the official lie as the truth, I'm a little confused over who decided not to air the episode. Sony/Aniplex, A-1, and TVT are producing the thing, so they have control over its content. Did they produce it only to tell the broadcasters that it wouldn't be available for airing? It seems silly, but not nearly as unlikely as the broadcasters refusing to air it and asking for less reprehensible, substitute content.

On the other hand, it *would* help lock-in DVD sales to ultra right-wing nationalists. "See the episode where the Chinese National Army dares the Imperial Japanese Army to invade Manchuria, only on DVD!"

On the other other hand, every episode does end with a printed statement that the show is a work of fiction. Could it be making a sideways comment about the official government story? It would be sly, but I don't think the show is really that sly.

In the meantime, I gave up about an episode ago, anyway. Maybe a favorable review a few months from now of the series as a whole might convince me to try it out again, but for now, not so much.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
Is the TV station doing a South Park Muhammad-like chickening out? Laughing
maaya

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:35 am Reply with quote
tripperdan99 wrote:
It's the first anime in sometime that actually depicts adults rather than kids & teenagers.

You should watch The Book of Bantorra. It's very similar to Darker than Black and Night Raid and really good. Very Happy
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
On the other other hand, every episode does end with a printed statement that the show is a work of fiction. Could it be making a sideways comment about the official government story? It would be sly, but I don't think the show is really that sly.

It seems like shows are getting more obnoxious with these statements in general. I've been seeing them a lot more these past couple of seasons, which makes me wonder if it's not due to some incident or new piece of legislation.

Last season, one of these disclaimers was even tacked on to a show set in the distant future. Can't be too careful, I guess. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1